• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Opinions about Kava?

Survival0200

Bluelighter
I wonder if Kava is anything worth trying? I'd like to test it for anxiety issues. There's a product with 100 mg kavalactones available. How much should you take?

I sometimes take kava to sleep. I feel like it works but it could just be placebo. My tablets are 75mg and I usually take two. But the pills really dont work as well as the actual ground up root. if you really want an authentic experience that would be the way to go. It tastes nasty though oh man... I am not usually one to complain about taste but kava is a different matter entirely.

Last edited:
^ Was going to say the same thing. Mr Autotripper knows his kava. :)

Kava is a valid, worthy intoxicant if done correctly. You need quality kava root and you need to make a proper brew. I have had kava so strong the room was spinning and I vomited. That was an OD of course lol But a good brew is like a mix of alcohol and cannabis to me.

My recipe is this:

1. Water in a blender, fill it 3/4ths 7-8 cups. You'll adjust.
2. Half cup of kava powder
3. the "kavalactones" are fat soluable. Maybe a teaspoon of coconut oil. Some people don't add a fat. So it works both ways but I think it is stronger adding a fat.
4. Add a flavor. I use sugarless koolaid. Like Mango. I have braved it out and slugged it without anything a few times. Gross.
5. Blend for a few minutes on high.
6. Pour the kava into one of those kava strainers. They are large like stockings When you buy the kava get a strainer too.
7. Squeeze that kava out into another container by squeezing the strainer. Youtube has some good examples. Squeeze it out.
8. Then you have the liquid mud you will drink, it is usually slammed in mugfulls quickly. Effects happen quick.

I sometimes take kava to sleep. I feel like it works but it could just be placebo. My tablets are 75mg and I usually take two. But the pills really dont work as well as the actual ground up root. if you really want an authentic experience that would be the way to go. It tastes nasty though oh man... I am not usually one to complain about taste but kava is a different matter entirely.
I've never had extracts but I first tried the ground up root (from Vanuatu) in 07'. The way I did it was to use a cheese cloth and strain using water to get the goods out. The first thing you'll notice after a sip is your lips and mouth going slightly numb. And after the second you'll start to feel very relaxed

Generally, I'd say its effects are somewhere between benzodiazepines and alcohol. I highly recommend it but yes, you should go to a healthfood store to get it in root form; or I guess now you can order it as well, even just roots but I don't know how to grind those up. I'm sure somebody here knows how to do that

This makes me want to try it again. It can make you pretty drunk too

You guys make me want to try it again. I never really got it to work. Mainly just side effects with a tiny, almost imperceptible buzz.

I thought I had a good supplier of fresh root and followed the recipe, but still nothing I would ever call a buzz or drunkenness. Guess I was wrong? Or just poor metabolizer :(

I believe there is a Kava bar near me, but looks pricey...

You guys make me want to try it again. I never really got it to work. Mainly just side effects with a tiny, almost imperceptible buzz.
Yeah it should work. Something's wrong here
I thought I had a good supplier of fresh root and followed the recipe, but still nothing I would ever call a buzz or drunkenness. Guess I was wrong? Or just poor metabolizer :(
Maybe old roots and I think it depends where the plant came from as there are different types that produce more kavalactones than others
I believe there is a Kava bar near me, but looks pricey...
I'd definitely try that just to see what it's all about =/