• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates/opioid constipation?

I haven't used the product you speak of, but combing a laxative with a stool softener will likely alleviate any problems you are having with opiate induced constipation. Throw in a high fiber diet for good measure and you will have much more healthy bowel movements in no time.

ok thanks, im just scared because when i tried shitting last i couldnt becaue it was so big and hard it wouldnt come out, so im wondering when i use the enema to make it come out will it still hurt or what??

i've used fleet mineral oil enemas (mineral oil to lube the passage way for the brick of shit to follow) it doesn't hurt at all(the enema).. the shit hurts tho it is softened a little by the enema, the tip of the enema should be lubed so it will slide right in and then just squeeze the bottle of liquid till its all or almost all in you and then lay on either your side or stomach for 20min and then try and shit again if within that 20min period it doesn't have you running to the bathroom to shit lol.

ok thanks, im just scared because when i tried shitting last i couldnt becaue it was so big and hard it wouldnt come out, so im wondering when i use the enema to make it come out will it still hurt or what??

Be careful not to develop impacted bowel syndrome, if i remember correctly leaving constipation untreated for too long can lead to the person requiring surgery to remove his or her shit.

ive used plenty of enemas. the enema isnt going to to break up your shit for you.....it will just make it more likely to come ouit thats all...you will probably squeeze out some liquid at first and then it will hurt like hell squeezin out that ball of shit after you do the enema.

good luck

i'm not sure if anyone has said this yet but if you actually push on the area behind your anus as you're trying to pass a log, it will keep your ass from ripping. thought it was a joke too but it really works

the area between you're anus and you're tailbone if you can't figure it out. closer to the anus though

epsom salt has worked in the past as well when i can't go. it can be deadly though so be careful when taking it. only need a little. the best thing is preventive maintenance. ie eating plenty of fruit, plenty of water, nuts, one of those fiber supplements daily. rarely do i get plugged up but when i do i just wait it out and then pass an ass buster like i mentioned earlier.

I've been really constipated even from light Oxy use. It's been maddening.

The only surefire relief I've had is from Sennakot. I know Sennakot can be dangerous to your intestines from prolonged use, but does that change if you're taking Sennakot to counter OPIATE induced constipation? Not just regular every day constipation?

Since your bowel muscles may still function correctly with normal constipation, as opposed to being paralyzed from opiate constipation, is it basically "ok" to take Sennakot regularly to combat Opiate constipation?

I should also add that almost any joy from the recreational value of using oxycodone has almost been completely killed for me by this maddening opiate constipation. I've been taking oxy to help relieve depression and for pure recreational enjoyment, and because of what it's doing to my bowels I'm almost at the point where not only will I be quitting, I'll never allow myself to use again outside of 1 day at a time (which means not buying more than a couple pills at a time).

I'm almost out of what was a decent supply anyway, and I can't easily obtain them, so I definitely won't be going out of my way to get any more for the time being.

But like I mentioned above, I'd really like to know if it's "safe" to treat Opiate constipation with sennakot (meaning taking it somewhat regularly), because I know it isn't "safe" to take Sennakot regularly for normal constipation.

I should also add Miralax has done NOTHING for me.

now im not one for uppers really anymore but i do know that one crack hoot will take my opiate constipation away right away :p ..

anyone else here in opiate land from winnipeg by anychance ?

For those of you on MMT try to drink a lot more water. This will help a whole lot. Once you get on a stable dose for a bit and take plenty of vitamins and drink lots of water you should start to have regular bm's. 8o Sometimes I have had lots of blood in my stools. This hasn't happened since I have started to eat and drink more healthy.

^Lope in my experience is no more constipating than other more traditional opiates. Lope is an opiate of sorts as well, just barely crossing the BBB. I am on MMT and while I have gotten used to it and am fine now, the first 6 months of 'done were more constipating then loperamide ever was. Lope works surprisingly well in curbing withdrawal symptoms.

How have you gotten to be fine???

I still have major issues in this area.......I appear to have hemorrhoids now too as there has been blood appearing in the past several days :(

How have you gotten to be fine???

I still have major issues in this area.......I appear to have hemorrhoids now too as there has been blood appearing in the past several days
Your body can adjust to the constipation of opiates just like many other things. No way to force it to though so laxatives can be very helpful. Just because there is some blood in your stool does not mean hemorrhoids. It could just be anal fissures from passing large hard masses.

Last edited:
Your body can adjust to the constipation of opiates just like many other things. No way to force it to though so laxatives can be very helpful. Just because there is some blood in your stool does not mean hemorrhoids. It could just be anal fissures from passing large hard masses. Search around for tips on combating opiate constipation.

Indeed. There are also other things which hit your opiate receptors which you wouldn't think of. Dextromethorphan comes to mind here.

Been on opiates for 10 years and methadone for almost 3.

If I was going to adjust to it I think I would have already.

I am 95% sure it is hemorrhoids b/c there is no pain what so ever and I have always forced out bowel movements out of impatience ever since I was little.....didn't know that would cause the problems it does.

I have tried all kinds of remedies for constipation like fiber and stool softeners but it isn't really helping. My clinic nurse told me not to use laxatives, not sure why....

^ your digestion system becomes dependent on them.....and makes it harder to crap in the long run.............

Yes I don't think your bowels will magically adjust now unfortunately. SkagKush is correct in that regular use of laxatives will create a whole other dependence. That being said if you are suffering from anal issues laxatives or enemas would probably be appropriate in the short term to give your anus a chance to heal.

I'd recommend getting checked out by a doc though to get it diagnosed as it could also be signs of deeper colon problems.

Yes I don't think your bowels will magically adjust now unfortunately. SkagKush is correct in that regular use of laxatives will create a whole other dependence. That being said if you are suffering from anal issues laxatives or enemas would probably be appropriate in the short term to give your anus a chance to heal.

I'd recommend getting checked out by a doc though to get it diagnosed as it could also be signs of deeper colon problems.

I hadn't had it checked out b/c I have no insurance and all my money goes to the damn clinic........Maybe I need to find a way....

People have told me that since the blood is fairly bright red that it is likely hemorrhoids as I thought.....Are you saying it is possible that it could be something worse? I haven't been able to find any real answers online.

The fact that it is bright red I'd think is supportive of an active bleed at the anus such as hemorrhoids or anal fissures. I'm really not that well versed in this field and am hesitant to say much else in case I am incorrect. It is certainly possible that it is something else though and either way proper treatment of whatever it is by a medical professional would be best.

edit:
I'm going to try and test my brand new mod skillz by moving all of these off topic constipation and hemorrhoids posts to another more appropriate thread. We'll see how it goes ;)

Last edited: