• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate vs Benzo withdrawl thoughts?

HydroTetra

Greenlighter
I've been taking 5mg (10mg pill cut in half) Oxycontin for a few days now and it's been very good to me. Although I have heard that the withdrawl isn't as bad as a benzo withdrawl. I have experienced benzo withdrawl but not opiate withdrawl. Can someone tell me what I should be expecting?

Take about 6 loperamide (over the counter diarrhea) and it will help with withdrawals. Do NOT overdue it bc it can cause heart problems. Only do this for a couple days, lowering your dose to see where you are at. It will NOT make you high but 99% of the time it completely gets rid of withdrawals.

I've been taking 5mg (10mg pill cut in half) Oxycontin for a few days now and it's been very good to me. Although I have heard that the withdrawl isn't as bad as a benzo withdrawl. I have experienced benzo withdrawl but not opiate withdrawl. Can someone tell me what I should be expecting?
How long have you been taking oxy for, and at what dose was it?

You shouldn't get withdrawals from a few days of 5mg oxy.
I took it as that being the end of a taper, but yeah... a few days at just 5mg shouldn't result in any withdrawals whatsoever. Heck, I wouldnt expect withdrawals from even quadruple the daily dose over the span of a few weeks.

I took it as that being the end of a taper, but yeah... a few days at just 5mg shouldn't result in any withdrawals whatsoever. Heck, I wouldnt expect withdrawals from even quadruple the daily dose over the span of a few weeks.

Nothing in the original post indicates a taper from what I read.

Nothing in the original post indicates a taper from what I read.
You're right. It's just such a ridiculously small amount and short duration that it just didn't occur to me at first that it might actually be the entirety of what he took!

There's no need for a taper or anything like that, give the reported dose and frequency. Opioid withdrawal certainly has an undeniable physical effect, but I firmly believe that a lot of it is in your head. Worrying about being sick, talking yourself down, feeling guilty; negativity in attitude can make your situation a whole lot worse. You should have nothing to worry about. I'd say mild discomfort might be experienced, but truthfully, you probably won't even experience that.

Benzodiazepine/ethanol withdrawal is completely different. If you've experienced it, especially going cold turkey, opioid withdrawal seems more like an annoyance. This is just my experience.

I understand what people are saying about these particularly low doses (5-20mg oxycodone) not having any kind of withdrawals upon discontinued dosing, but I it's really not a black and white type of situation. Some people might experience some minor discomfort when stopping low doses particularly after long-term daily dosing or a taper.

With all that being said, the OP did not indicate to us many of the variables we need to help answer the question (length of use, weather it was a taper) at hand and as far as the potential withdrawal aspect goes, a simple google search can aid with that.

It sounds like the OP hasn't been taking much more than what was stated. If that's the case than the withdrawals of any, won't be to much to deal with. Maybe take some loperamide as mentioned for diarrhea. Hopefully that is the only issue. Besides trying to take the same dose less frequent or half that dose (2.5mg) at the same frequency in order too minimize any withdrawals.

That amount for such a short time... I wouldn't expect any withdrawal at all.

OP: you shouldnt experience much/any w/d from the drug, dose and time you reported.

That said, on higher doses of opiates/benzos, I'd prefer an opiate w/d. Sure, they are brutal the first few days/week, but even getting off of just 20mg/day diazepam that had been taken for a year left me feeling fucked for almost six weeks. The only opiate I know of that would be worse is jumping off of methadone w/o a taper (possibly bupe too).