• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate taper help.

Danny Weed

Bluelighter
I am currently dependant on morphine, I have been taking about 30mg a day for about 3 months. Yesterday I tried to have just 20mg in the morning and by the night time I was in withdrawal, or the beginning of withdrawal (vomiting, shaking, fever, crazy anxiety)

I was wondering what the best way to taper from this dose would be? I am really quite scared, I have never been in this position before.

Today I planned to take 15mg in the morning and 13mg tonight, but I am starting to shake already so I have just had another 5mg.

I cant really work out weather it is best to space the doses out throughout the day or to take it all at once.

I appreciate that 30mg is not a lot compared to some people but honestly last night was hell for me, and I have no idea how to approach tapering properly.

Sorry for the long post.

Morphine withdrawal...yuck. Maybe you should consider opioid replacement therapy and ween off something a little more mild?

Yeah I was thinking about asking the doctor for help, but I dont know how he would react if I told him about the situation I have got myself in.

He has no idea I have been self medicating with morphine so he might be a bit angry and not help me out. I have no access to any other opiates unless the doctor gave me some.

Well when I explained to my primary care physician that I was withdrawing from taking various illicit opioids he referred me to a Suboxone doc and gave me some hydrocodone to last until the appointment, but I think it would be very difficult to get an understanding doc like that...and the suboxone docs always want some serious cash...you should try it though, hopefully you have some medical insurance, you could always go to a detox place where they will detox you on subutex (buprenorphine) but that is of course very expensive.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention, I am in the UK, it is very very hard to get prescribed opiates here. I get morphine from a friend to self medicate pain after the doctor wouldn't give me pain relief (very bad decision)

Do you think it is possible to taper using the morphine?

I realise that there will be some degree of withdrawal symptoms, but I am just looking to lessen them really and I am prepared to draw out the process for however long it takes.

Try taking 29 mgs for a day or two then 28 mgs for a day or two. That might help. Also get some immodium ad for the runs some high strength ibuprofem or even tylenol with codeine. weed might help too. if you can get benzos use them for sleep if not get some benedryl.

If you really want to quit and you cant get any subs then you should take loperamide. I would start off taking 30 mg(15 pills). It works similar to bupe. It takes away about 80% of the withdraws and it definitely makes it bearable. They should sell it in the UK i would think. If the 15 pills isnt enough then take 15 more but try and keep it as low as possible because it does constipate you but its better than withdrawing.

Interesting, could that be used alongside a taper? or would I have to stop the morphine all together and cold turkey it?

At the minute my plan is what whatsup73 said, just drop a mg every 4 days or so.

yeah you can take them both together and one before the other. It wont give you a prec withdraw or anything. Thats what i would do just take the loperamide before you go to bed and when you wake up you wont be that sick but you will still want to use. So go ahead and use and you will see that you wont feel it as good but your craving will be gone. Do this until you realize its pointless to use anymore and you might as well just be clean because your not getting sick but your not getting high either. Ive done it before

Cool I will try that, I am not getting high anyway with the amount I take just makes me feel normal so I dont really have any cravings for the drug, its just the physical wd effects that I am scared of really.

I will try to buy some loperamide tomorrow, thanks for telling me about it. Sounds like it could be useful as long as it doesn't fuck my stomach swallowing that many pills.

Loperamide will do you a lot of good, it does cause some unpleasant cramping though.

30mg is way too much. You won't need very much at all. More like 8-10mg, I'd say. It doesn't take much to stop the withdrawal in its tracks, especially if your tolerance isn't sky high.

You should only use the smallest effective dosage possible. You won't need to take it more than once every 24 hours, either. The constipation is a little more intense, but not much worse than you would expect from other full-agonist opiates.

Last edited:
yeah make sure you buy the actual green pills and not the liquid or the gel pills. Buy the generic ones if you can find them. They are usually a lot cheaper and the exact same thing. A lot of places carry them but the drug stores are cheaper than a grocery store. Go ahead and buy like 100 of them at least too

IME diphenhydramine (Benadryl) exacerbates the most uncomfortable symptom (for me) of opioid withdrawal: RLS (which tends to spread to my whole body during WD). Benadryl makes it literally unbearable and anxiety attacks consume me until the benadryl wears off. I don't know why this happens, but the 6 hours it takes to wear off is a lifetime...I might add I am super sensitive to RLS and have it (very seldom) even when not going through WD. Anyone else experience this?

Morphine blows. It is one of the worst opiates in my eyes. I tried it before and alls I got was a major stomach ache. I've never heard of anyone taking morphine recreationally, if you've been prescribed it and want to stop, then just inform your dr. He should give you some kind of synethic opiate such as tramadol or subs to get off the morph.

Morphine blows. It is one of the worst opiates in my eyes. I tried it before and alls I got was a major stomach ache. I've never heard of anyone taking morphine recreationally, if you've been prescribed it and want to stop, then just inform your dr. He should give you some kind of synethic opiate such as tramadol or subs to get off the morph.

Really? IMO morphine is one of the most recreational substances next to diacetylmorphine (heroin).

You have never heard of anyone taking morphine recreationally? I think the reason why people sometimes say this is because there are so many different kinds of morphine pills out there. Some are garbage while others are straight fire. If you can get some of those 100s that you an bang i guarantee you that you would definitely understand why people take morphine recreationally.

Loperamide will do you a lot of good, it does cause some unpleasant cramping though.

30mg is way too much. You won't need very much at all. More like 8-10mg, I'd say. It doesn't take much to stop the withdrawal in its tracks, especially if your tolerance isn't sky high.

You should only use the smallest effective dosage possible. You won't need to take it more than once every 24 hours, either. The constipation is a little more intense, but not much worse than you would expect from other full-agonist opiates.

yeah make sure you buy the actual green pills and not the liquid or the gel pills. Buy the generic ones if you can find them. They are usually a lot cheaper and the exact same thing. A lot of places carry them but the drug stores are cheaper than a grocery store. Go ahead and buy like 100 of them at least too

Cool, all I could find this morning were 'immodium' 2mg loperamide capsules so I hope they are ok. only get 6 in a box tho :(

The only benadryl I could find contained Acrivastine and not diphenhydramine so I got a box of promethazine instead.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ok, just another question. I am taking 35mg in the AM, but about 8 hours later the W/D's start coming back, so I take 5mg and that helps.

Will the gap between doses get easier as my body adjusts to the lower amount in my system?

It should adjust. I went from doing 3 or 4 80 mg oxys plus a 100 mcg fent patch (sucked on) a day habit to currently 2 or 3 percs and a few lines of hydromorph hcl. Its taken me at least 6 months. I do enough that i dont feel the wd and try and wait till i am in full out w/ds till i dose again. Usually 8 -16 hours. I try and hold out as long as I can. This is however a extremely long taper and i thought this would be better then a full on w/d from what i was doing. But everybody is different. Make sure to come back to BL and post how you are doing. I would definitly like to know how its been for ya and you can really use the support from the guys and gals here.
Take care danny and the best of luck to ya buddy.
Just remember everybody is different and everyone reacts to certain things in different ways. I'm sure if you put your mind to it and really wanna get off the crap then you can do it bro!

Thanks alot Whatsup, settled my mind a bit there. It is really reassuring to hear that people have managed to taper from much much bigger habits.

I will definitely post about my progress, I think it will get easier when I know what I am doing and get into a routine with the taper, I plan on dropping 10% per week so I just need to get stabilized on this dose then I can start.

Thanks again for your post, and best of luck with your taper.