• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Opiate and opioid withdrawal: Coping strategies and medication

I just keep up the pregaba for a few days to get through the worst period than off. I'm functional at that point. I have no access to Baclofen or the other anti-spasm meds.

Fuck! I've just walked to the local shop on a beer run, and had to spend 10 minutes hiding because my old dealer was 'conducting business'. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to get a bag, but I know exactly where it would have led.

I know for me there are certain meds Ive taken that have let me bypass withdrawal completely but the main thing here is that just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for anybody else. One big one is a bit higher doses of diphenhydramine. Usually for mild opiate withdrawal I do a dose of six to eight benadryl. But I have to be careful with that because it can build up and be too much making it worse too. Gabapentin works great but can become habit forming if taken too much. It used to work great for me but now I get withdrawal from that. Energy drinks are okay but I would really recommend drinking lots of water or gatorade/ sports drink.

This is purely anecdotal, but I have found MXE to significantly reduce both physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms.

Agreed, if you are talking about using them to help taper off the size of the methadone dose that you were prescribed. That would end up being very expensive and completely impractical all round, with far better options available. However, i think for anyone on "lesser opiates" (less potent) or much lower doses i think they could help. Iirc I've only ever really used them in low doses as prescribed and intended to prevent the inevitable trotskys that accompany quitting any opi. I may have boshed an extra 2-4 on top of the recommended dose, i cannot recall, in attempting to help relieve some of the other w/d symptoms. It may have been placebo affect but i seem to remember that did they did help slightly with that.

Even if used exclusively for their intended purpose i think they are absolutely invaluable, the first time i quit opis i didn't even know about the trots, and having to run to the toilet every 5 minutes all day, and night, and having explosive outbursts every time obviously made things far worse than they need have been, i know i don't need to tell you this and about the resulting dehydration and depletion of electrolytes, blood sugars and salts making you feel far worse than you ever needed to (but someone else reading this may not know). Imo they are worth their weight in gold just for the healing effects on the intestines, but if anyone is considering using them as an opiate replacement for a large dose of a strong opiate i can see them being completely impractical; with even the own-brand options being way too expensive and possibly also completely innefective in that kind of scenario. But for lesser doses of lesser opis i can see them helping quite significantly. I will probably be testing this theory out for myself at some point over the next couple of weeks.

Sorry if my post is wooly headed, rambly and repetetive, i am currently quite wasted. :eek:

But Im not on that dose and have Been clean for nearly a year. All Im trying to get off is the few trams and oramorph from ny surgery (low doses)....completely different thing.

Did folks mention getting clean is the easy part? :\

i totally agree, we need something on this post for the few weeks after, the cravings and how strong they are. I'm on day 52 of my detox (subs) and my cravings for opiates are unreal, I'd love it if anyone has any coping strategies for me? With them and paws I'm finding staying off opiates the hardest part, it's just awful!

i totally agree, we need something on this post for the few weeks after, the cravings and how strong they are. I'm on day 52 of my detox (subs) and my cravings for opiates are unreal, I'd love it if anyone has any coping strategies for me? With them and paws I'm finding staying off opiates the hardest part, it's just awful!

You have to get into the state of mind where you absolutely hate opiates and everything they stand for. It took me 20 years of relapses on heroin, mmt, and benzos to realise downers are just fucking shit. I have absolutely no cravings anymore. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer - you have to be ready to come off the gear, and IT has to be ready to let you...

I've found remembering how bad the rattles felt, how you got to that very dark place where you needed to jump are effective with cravings.

I tried making a thread for this reason called.'maintenance n aftercare' it's on the index but hasn't really gone well to be honest. It's meant to be for people to discuss post-addiction, recovery methods n maintenance. Maybe witb people detoxing off n battling cravings it wasn't right to put the two together in a thread but the aim was for members to support each other post the initial addiction-detox in order to stay away from the addiction. I know we've a section decoted to this but a lot of EADD members tend to stick to EASD I think, because our services are so different to that of, say the US.

Do you have a support nerwork? A few people in my old rexovery group have a support network where they exchange numbers n can comtact one another if they're having cravings, a bad time or whatever. Do you go to any meetings like SMART recovery or 12 steps? They may be of benefit. Do you have a job or voluntary work; something to occupy your time? Is anything going on for you right now that you may associate with the addiction / subs? For indtance, are you around people still using? Going through a stressful period?

Remember why you gave up remember the hell you endured to give up. What do you want from life that you are unable to have when addicted?

Good luck.

Evey

HYdrocodone-for a neck fused with titanium hardware. Went a tad too hard on the script this month.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Diclazepam, Etizolam or Flubromazepam for coping with withdrawals. Subutex I find good, but its just those first few days. Especially the first 16 or so hours.....killer!!!
Bitter lemon helps with the restless legs, it contains Quinnine.
Anyone got any advice on these 'Research Chemicals' please
Thankyou.x

They help 'a bit" with the anxiety but not with other aspects of wds which can lead you to up the dose in desperate search of releif...cue trainwreck!!!

Get someone to hand them out to you maybe

I tried making a thread for this reason called.'maintenance n aftercare' it's on the index but hasn't really gone well to be honest. It's meant to be for people to discuss post-addiction, recovery methods n maintenance. Maybe witb people detoxing off n battling cravings it wasn't right to put the two together in a thread but the aim was for members to support each other post the initial addiction-detox in order to stay away from the addiction. I know we've a section decoted to this but a lot of EADD members tend to stick to EASD I think, because our services are so different to that of, say the US.

Do you have a support nerwork? A few people in my old rexovery group have a support network where they exchange numbers n can comtact one another if they're having cravings, a bad time or whatever. Do you go to any meetings like SMART recovery or 12 steps? They may be of benefit. Do you have a job or voluntary work; something to occupy your time? Is anything going on for you right now that you may associate with the addiction / subs? For indtance, are you around people still using? Going through a stressful period?

Remember why you gave up remember the hell you endured to give up. What do you want from life that you are unable to have when addicted?

Good luck.

Evey

Hey, I'm currently enrolled in a drug clinic, they do support me but the only answer they can give me to stop my cravings is to increase my sub dosage or go onto methadone, I didn't wanna have to do either. I do enjoy being clean, I enjoy the freedom and not having to find my next pain killer script, enjoy the money I now have from not buying, I especially enjoy a full nights sleep an not waking up covered in sweat from withdrawal, but there is something still in my mind that makes me want to go take opiates again. I suppose it will take time, I was addicted for almost four years, so it will just take me some time. I have a lot of support on here too which is good, thanks for your well wishes :)

Yeah you're brain is still repairing n your body is fighting to get back it's natural opiate - endorphins, so craves what it used to receiving try to do things that will release your endorphins

Laughing
Exercise
Eating chocolate

Get yourself a good exercise routine with high intensity interval training or max training n push yourself. The high may not come at first bur when it does there's nothing like it n your body won't need tge opiates. Maintenances only helps to stablise addicts if they're not ready to quit it doesn't get to the route cause of the addiction to begin with. Sounds like your clinic is trying tofob you off unless they are going to work through a plan with you at achieving some sort of recovery.

Never mind that's not an excuse. Empower yourself. <3

Evey

Loperamide and vindaloo. The curry stimulates endorphin production and the loperamide prevents the shits as well as alleviating withdrawals.

(This may actually be a load of bollocks)

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Diclazepam, Etizolam or Flubromazepam for coping with withdrawals. Subutex I find good, but its just those first few days. Especially the first 16 or so hours.....killer!!!
Bitter lemon helps with the restless legs, it contains Quinnine.
Anyone got any advice on these 'Research Chemicals' please
Thankyou.x

yeah expeinced most of those BZs with w.ds. The main help ime was that it provided relief from the insomia which seems to plague many folks battling w/d ing from opis. In my case i was already dependnant on high doses of benzos, the tempation was to increase the dose to make the nights sleep longer and the long slow days slightly shorter. Obviously this is appalling HR advice for anyone who currently has not used benzos, if that is the case do not go there, do not start using highly addictive benzos to help quti opis; It won't be worth it. (It likely that benzos will feel even more seductive under such mental and physical stresses.) Also if you are not already on a high dose of benzos, or a fluctuating occasionally high dose do not go ther either, You will only have more work to do when the time comes to quit benzos in both scenarios,

TL;dr Don't use benzos for opi w/d unless you are already using them. :\ Benzo dependency is very bad news.

Last edited:
Loperamide and vindaloo. The curry stimulates endorphin production and the loperamide prevents the shits as well as alleviating withdrawals.

(This may actually be a load of bollocks)

I belive that all 3 claims are backed up (excuse the pun) with significant evidence.

I heard the madddest idea for naturally producing endorphins the other day. Is is so mad tht I feel I should not post it, lest some of the more vulnerable members or lurkers take the suggestions too seriously, basically you'd need to have a paramedic or an ambulance available immeditealy as the only way of making this method potentially non-fatal.

If you know what im talking about and are already using these 'inappropriate coping mechanisms' on yourself then clearly that will need dealing with too. If you get access to a counselor whilst gong through your w/ds please raise this issue with them asap. :|

Last edited: