• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

On oxy and pregnant, PLEASE HELP!!

Hi everyone I'm trying to make an appointment with the suboxone Doctor my obgyn referred me too and he hasn't been answering or responding back to my calls! I'm calling different clinics today to try to get in today for treatment.

Just wondering if subutex or methadone would be better for my baby? I've done ALOT of research and everyone says subutex is safer but not a lot of research has been done to let it be known if it's safer or not compared to methadone, as for methadone it's been used for pregnant women for the last 40 years as a opiate replacement and it's safe for me and the baby.

I just really want to make sure my baby is ok! If anyone has more info on the 2 or is pregnant and going through what I'm going through please advise me on what's better for me and the baby!

I am currently in the 2nd trimester!

Thanks again everyone! Everyone on here has been a great support and had kept my hopes up through all this craziness.

My opinion is bupe is being pushed as the new miracle opiate cure.... It might be better than methadone and due to lack of activity out of the opiate region, if I'm not mistaken, it has less side effects on the medication, but can be very hard to quit just like any opiate. Methadone as you said has a long standing history of successful usage. If you can handle the NMDA antagonism activity without getting mood swings or w.e like I did I recommend methadone as it should be much easier to find a methadone clinic.

Subutex is just as safe for your baby as methadone in my opinion. My mom works as an OBGYN and they commonly oversee clients on subutex. Subutex compared to methadone has been shown to cause a less severe form of NAS in newborns. This is documented in a number of studies published on the NIH. If you are worried about the severity of withdrawals that your baby will go through bupe may be a better option. Sometimes in rural areas babies going through a moderate or severe detox will have to be transported to another hospital that is more well equipped to deal with the situation. You can reference the study on the NIH titled, "Buprenorphine treatment in Pregnancy: less distress to babies." The study found pregnant moms who gave birth on methadone maintenance had to have their babies stay in the hospital for an average 7 days longer compared to moms on buprenorphine.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I'm trying to make an appointment with the suboxone Doctor my obgyn referred me too and he hasn't been answering or responding back to my calls! I'm calling different clinics today to try to get in today for treatment.

Just wondering if subutex or methadone would be better for my baby? I've done ALOT of research and everyone says subutex is safer but not a lot of research has been done to let it be known if it's safer or not compared to methadone, as for methadone it's been used for pregnant women for the last 40 years

Forgive me for being blunt....if you can't handle a little honesty, don't even read this. Keep in mind I don't speak for everybody, so if you wish to continue, take this with a grain of salt.
Wonder why the Suboxone Doctor never called you back?
Nobody wants to write dope to a pregnant woman.
I would be more upset, but since you're already in the 2nd trimester...does it really even matter at this point, anybody??

I've got a suspicion that, no matter what you do at this point...cold turkey, suboxone, methadone.....you're baby WILL be born an opiate addict. Birth defects are the least of you're worries, and if you're still using dope at this point in the pregnancy, I can only assume you're biggest worry is yourself, you're dope habit, and not the fetus growing in you're belly.

I wasn't born an opiate addict, but I did become one. So that's not really my worry, not like a newborn can satiate his/her addiction for the next 17 years.

What worries me, however, is the thought of a child being raised by an opiate addict. Why?
Well look at the facts, we're addicts....the drugs are more of a priority than many, if not most other things in our lives. And for someone whose about to have a baby, you don't sound like you have much control over you're habit. If you did, the logical thing to do, at this point, would be to reduce you're dose of oxycodone 10% every 2 days or so. Addicts are unreliable, selfish by nature.

All I know is this; as good as I've had it, as fortunate as I was, with the family I was born into, the opportunities I've had, I still oftentimes find myself cursing my life...damning the fact that I was ever born. I'm sure everybody doesn't think like this.

This thread brings to mind though, one subject to me, in particular. I've got a drug-addled relative around 25 or so...hooked up with literally, the craziest chick he could find (not exaggerating) and they had a baby a while back.....accident, on purpose...doesn't matter now.
What matters is that neither of them are in any way, shape, or form prepared to raise a child. They are dirt poor, young, and at least one of them is incurably mentally ill, though not to a dangerous degree. The other one is ill with addiction, which has improved some recently, since they had their SECOND child a while back.
But I digress, they are COMPLETLEY insecure financially..neither has a long-term carrer, or even much of a plan for one. As a consequence for meeting of the demands of the jobs they DO have, they often leave their kids with questionably, shady caretakers.

All in all....it's a really fucking shitty situation. Don't know why I wrote all this, I guess the point i'm trying to get across is this; think of the kid before you think of yourself. Not that you don't....but if you don't have a fair amount of stability in your life at this time, you better get some.
Remember it's 2016, this is not the world you grew up in...Hell I don't know.

My motto; "Don't have a kid if you can't support it's morphine habit."
Or cancer, or Zika, or freakin Mickey Mantle's disease.

Of course my mothers entire side of the family all had kids before they were 22....they're not the most stable i'm sure, but I know they've at least got a good foundation..values and shit. That's not gonna stop life though...and in life, you gotta be prepared for anything and everything.

So seriously, be PREPARED for this kid to be fucked up...think zika virus. Prepare to go bankrupt treating the Zika virus..prepare to be homeless...even if you won't be, just plan for the absolute fucking worst 18-30 years of you're life ahead of you. Because if you're not at least prepared....then you won't know what to do when life throws a curveball. And you will be overwhelmed...especially with an opiate addiction on top of all of this.

Good luck to you and the family

Treefa you state,"If you did, the logical thing to do, at this point, would be to reduce you're dose of oxycodone 10% every 2 days or so. Addicts are unreliable, selfish by nature." This is a harm reduction website not a shaming session. Keeping this in mind telling a pregnant women to reduce her dose by ten percent every two days could be dangerous. Lets take someone who was on a large dose of methadone or oxy and was pregnant. If they reduced their dose by 10% every two days they could loose their baby from the stress within a few weeks if the individual went into a strong state of withdrawals. Do you have any training as a healthcare professional that has made you believe it's safe to have pregnant moms do quick tapers from strong narcotics? Maybe research it before encouraging a mom to put her baby at risk

Last edited:
She did just recently find out about being pregnant and is doing something about it as soon as she can it sounds like. It's not like she found out she was pregnant and kept using for 4 months without trying to taper. I agree, I have friends who had kids but still couldn't quit using even after they lost custody of the kids, so I see how powerful the addiction can be. Just make sure you are really ready for this

Treefa you are completely out of line. I can't even read your whole post. Subutex is not dope. Most suboxone doctors won't attempt it until methadone has been tried and failed at least where I live. Seriously you may think your just checking shit and keeping it real, but all you're doing is being an asshole. I apologize for harsh language, but self righteous people like you are a real pet peeve

Actually I've reduced my dosage... I'm only taking as needed... Meaning only when I feel like I'm about to go through withdrawals is when I'm using... I'm down to 40-60mg a day. And the suboxone doctors did call me back...

I have an appointment with a hospital who specializes in rehab treatment on Monday and then ANOTHER appointment with a DIFFERENT Doctor on Friday.

My biggest worry is my baby at this moment to make sure it's ok and it's healthy. Do I want to just not dose once I found out I was pregnant? Absolutely but I don't want to lose this baby either.

For someone who doesn't know my situation and I really don't need to justify it.. I work full time 30-45 hours a week( why I have insurance to cover my pregnancy cost and suboxone treatment) my husband and I live right in the heart of downtown Denver, we own both our cars and EVERYTHING in our apartment and is currently looking for a house. Money is NOT an issue.

This baby is my main concern and last thing I want is to lose this baby because of going into withdrawals.

Thank u for everyone else who has been here with me and the support from everyone is really what kept me through this stressful time.

Hi all I recently just found out I'm pregnant and my husband and I really want to have this baby and want to make sure we're quitting the right way for this baby to be born and need EVERYONES help ! Here's my story....

I've been addicted to oxy for about 2 years now been doing about 60mg-120mg a day. Recently I found out I'm 3-4 months pregnant but won't be able to go see a doctor til Tuesday and Wednesday. But also am looking for people that's going through it and have been through it for advice! Anything anyone can contribute to will be AMAZING!

I've done a lil bit of research online and many people say that it's incredibly dangerous to quit cold turkey while pregnant. What should I do? Should I do a taper plan? And if so how long should I taper for and to before I jump? Or should I just start on a quick suboxone detox for 4-5 days plan (which I've done before to quit oxys) and how dangerous are each of these plans?

I've also heard of expectant mothers who just continue to use until they deliver even after delivery to keep the baby from withdrawing.

Please I really really need everyone's help! M very worried and scared and can't talk to a doctor right away!

Talk to a DR right away why are you asking people on the Internet!!! WTF!!! Please see a DR you don't want a baby addicted to fucking Oxy. How old are you??!!!?? You just found out u are 3-4 months pregnant, I am trying to be sympathetic but I have a hard time believing you just found out. Please see a DR.

Talk to a DR right away why are you asking people on the Internet!!! WTF!!! Please see a DR you don't want a baby addicted to fucking Oxy. How old are you??!!!?? You just found out u are 3-4 months pregnant, I am trying to be sympathetic but I have a hard time believing you just found out. Please see a DR.

Im sorry to be so harsh but I have seen this way too often and seeing and newborn
in withdrawal is heartbreaking, please please see a Doctor. You have to be strong for you child.

Im sorry to be so harsh but I have seen this way too often and seeing and newborn
in withdrawal is heartbreaking, please please see a Doctor. You have to be strong for you child.
Unfortunately 90% of the women I know who have been addicted to opiates will give birth while still dependent on narcotics. These have all been under the doctors orders. When someone becomes pregnant after using opiates for a few years it's almost guaranteed that they will stay on the opiates through the pregnancy out of concern for the child's wellbeing. She has spoken with several doctors as far as I know. What does that mean she has to be strong for her child? Does that mean she should try and stop opiates? I think this situation involving dependency and pregnancy is routinely misunderstood by the general public.

I have talked to my doctor... I don't really feel like anyone has read my posts? Here it goes again...

Went to obgyn on Wednesday for an ultra sound, was completely honest with doctor about my oxy intake and where I was getting it. Told me not to quit cold turkey because that'll send the baby into withdrawals. He referred me to a suboxone doctor.

Called the suboxone doctor he referred and was out of town cant see him til Friday. So I called other places regarding this matter. Got an appointment for Monday morning at a hospital that specializes in suboxone/methadone treatment at 5am.

My plan isn't switching from one drug to another,if u read my thread my plan is to taper off as fast as possible so by the time I'm ready to deliver and for my baby to be born it wouldn't go into withdrawals . I'm just looking for a safe way to do so so it won't harm my baby. If I could just stop using and it would be safe for be baby I would've done so already

My question is, if the suboxone doctor suggest me to go on methadone should I want to go on subutex instead cause it safer? And this judgement from everyone isn't really helping me on what's going on...

I have "6 months" to taper off everything and completely be clean and sober before this baby comes... I didn't come on here to get judge by everyone who doesn't know me or my story. And everyone's negative opinions isn't helping the matter.

Last edited:
I wanted to post this earlier, but your obviously making serious effort that should be recognized. Simple as that.

Thank u Tacodude! I really appreciate the recognition I really just want to do what's best for the baby right now....

So if someone has been through it or is going through it please help! Would methadone be safer or subutex?

I wanna do a quick taper planning on a 1-2 week fast taper as quick as possible when I get on subtext or methadone on Monday of course letting my body guide me letting me know how fast and how much I'm comfortable with dropping

Hey Lildevil,

I apologize for being judgmental and rude and not sympathetic to your situation. I have seen some bad situations over the years with children being born addicted to a narcotic, as I was around for the crack baby era and was having a really bad night and was in a bad spot that night. I try not to judge anyone without knowing their story and I did that to you and I am truly sorry and feel really horrible. It is obvious you are responsible and doing everything thing you can for the safety of you and you child.

There is no excuse for my actions and I sincerely apologize. I wish you and yor family the best.

get off oxy if you love your baby. or even kind of like em. or if you want to live with yourself. or just goddamn do it.

Mike Vick and Treefa, this is a HARM REDUCTION website.
Getting off the oxy cold turkey is contraindicated in pregnancy and can cause spontaneous abortion. Thank goodness LilDevil has way more common sense than you both.
LilDevil, no judgement here. It happens. I cannot advise re subutex vs methadone, but I suspect that they are recommended during pregnancy because they stabilize you and stabilization is preferential over highs and lows of high -> withdrawal.
I applaud you for taking the oxy as needed, which can be very hard to do, BUT, I do think that you would be better off on a dosing schedule, where you gradually reduce your dose but not feel WD. The problem is if you are waiting to WD, the baby is experiencing the ups and downs as well which is not a good idea.
If you normally take X amount a day, and you have no access to ER oxy, I'd divide the daily amount by every six hours, and take 25% of your daily dose every 6 hours. The idea would be to try to keep a continuous dosage but gradually reduce your dose week by week.
If your goal is to taper off, 2nd trimester is the time when it has least effect on baby.
However, if you are honest with yourself and feel that there's even a modest chance you will have highs and lows, or irregular dosing (if your connect is dry), you would be better off on subutex or methadone. On delivery, baby would be given a gradual taper schedule.

^^^ I didn't say cold turkey. I said get off. Don't judge my common sense over the Internet, pal.

Reread your post in context to the other replies. What would you infer if you were OP?