• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Olympics...So who's pretending to care about sports they barely knew existed?

RTrain

Bluelighter
Anyone? I for one will not. The only thing I will watch by choice is the hockey. Also probably have to deal with d-holes insisting on putting on the curling and figure skating at their houses or when I am at work, in which case I will try to avoid actually paying attention or just leave the room.

Im going to check it out.. I just turn the damn announcers off on a bunch of it.. good lord who makes up the individual names for free skiing tricks... and more of who the fuck cares what its called.. the hockey is always good.. fuck it its like the middle of winter were Im at im half crazy with cabin fever... not like I have to much else that will be better going on.. how long does this last.. in fact I may did in for the marathon. so i guess bring it on. ski flying, luge.. fuck yeah im in..

Speed skating, ski-high jump, biathlon, cross-country... Just to name a few off the top of my head.
It's no where near as fun to watch as the summer counter part but the games are still great and I will most definitely be watching.
I can't wait for the hockey tournament. For some reason I have a hard time following NHL play but international hockey is harder not to watch.

Thanatos said:
It's no where near as fun to watch as the summer counter part

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. There's usually 10-12 games that I keep up with during the summer Olympics...while with the winter games I generally only pay attention to two. Curling is probably my favorite, but I of course watch the ice hockey matches like most everyone else. The million variations of skiing/skating/etc I could never really get into, but I keep telling myself that I'll give em a chance and try to gain an appreciation for them...maybe this year I'll give it a try.

If you are going to watch a ski event, go for biathlon or the downhill. If you've never watched speed skating watch the short track.
I love watching skeleton and luge, those athletes are completely nuts!

Hahah the Olympics mean less work for me at work. Although more talk about the Olympics (I work in a sports-type career although I do admin-payroll stuff, not sports stuff, so I don't know anything about sports). I might care about hockey. Watch it? No way. Check to see who is winning? Probably.

I don't know what else is in the Olympics. It's the winter Olympics so Canada might do well. Yay. Go Canada?

Thanatos said:
If you are going to watch a ski event, go for biathlon or the downhill. If you've never watched speed skating watch the short track.
I love watching skeleton and luge, those athletes are completely nuts!

Many thanks for the recommendations! Hopefully this'll be the first time I actually get to sit down and really pay attention to the skiing and skating aspects of the winter games...it's a shame I've never really followed them before since they're so prominent. I actually dont think I've ever really followed them at all...but I concur on skeleton and luge, they're always extremely entertaining!

I assume Im not as good at relating to things like skiing since I've never partaken in it. The summer games are totally different for me though...growing up I played basketball, golf, was an avid gun fan, took martial arts training, had members of the family who were professionals in equestrian sports, etc etc...so I can really get most of the summer Olympics pretty well. But unfortunately I've never put on a pair of skis or ice skates in my life...so I feel like it'd make it difficult to have an intimate knowledge of what I was viewing. Hopefully I can give it a try this year and see how it goes though.

Are you kidding me? The Winter Olympics is awesome, far superior than 80% of the no name sports you get in the Summer games.

Every sport is fast, extreme and with real risk of injury. Ski jumpers flying hundreds of metres, the acrobatics of half pipe, slope style and aerial events, the dangerous downhill speeds, the endurance and mental skill of the biathlon and the rough and tumble boarder and ski cross events. Even the curling is an amazing sport of skill and supreme touch, with the chance you might slip and injure your self. Probably the only sport I couldn't care about is ice hockey but then again there is always a chance of a fight.

One Thousand Words said:
Are you kidding me? The Winter Olympics is awesome, far superior than 80% of the no name sports you get in the Summer games.

Im not sure I'd consider basketball, football (soccer), boxing, tennis, etc to be "no name sports". Quite the opposite in fact. You make it sound as if the summer games are predominantly dressage and synchronized swimming.

One Thousand Words said:
Every sport is fast, extreme and with real risk of injury. Ski jumpers flying hundreds of metres, the acrobatics of half pipe, slope style and aerial events, the dangerous downhill speeds, the endurance and mental skill of the biathlon and the rough and tumble boarder and ski cross events. Even the curling is an amazing sport of skill and supreme touch, with the chance you might slip and injure your self. Probably the only sport I couldn't care about is ice hockey but then again there is always a chance of a fight.

I tend to appreciate athletics more for their nuance and subtlety, not necessarily for their shock value or wow factor or how "extreme" they might be...but that said, there are still plenty of sports in the summer games in which there are very real risks of injury. According to Scientific American, the sport in the number one spot for most injurious is indeed the snowboard cross...but the number two, three, and four spots go to soccer, taekwondo, and field hockey respectively...so I'd say it evens out (and there's not a huge difference between snowboard and soccer). Also, SA covers the severity of the injuries (as to whether the injury disenabled them from competing or training)...and 50% of the injuries in the summer games prevented the athletes from competing, whereas the number was 23% in the winter games. So overall, im not really sure if it's fair to say that one is more "extreme" than the other.

But yeah, I definitely agree with you on curling. Its a fantastic sport...a definite amount of skill and supreme touch as you stated. There's a reason they call it "chess on ice" :D That's probably my favorite game to watch during the winter Olympics, I get pumped up for it every time.

Football is only U23 with a couple of ring ins, boxing is amateur and not a patch on professional bouts, basketball is so one sided does anyone even bother watching? For me there are a handful of sports in the summer Olympics with any real passion or importance. Rowing VIII, 3 day equestrian event, hockey, 100m, marathon, decathlon, triathlon and the modern pentathlon are the pinnacle of their sports. It's hard to argue that the Olympic tennis gold is any where near the prestige of winning a grand slam or Davis cup.

I'm not watching to see people injured. It's the potential danger of snow and ice that makes it exciting. Seeing a sprinter hobble off with a hamstring strain doesn't get my heart racing.

Last edited:
After what IOC did to Vancouver, I can never forgive them.

The Olympics are a corporate get-rich-quick scheme that destroys the uniqueness of every place it visits, and the local people are taxed to death for years to come because of it. It's a banquet for the wealthy and the public pays for it.

One Thousand Words said:
Football is only U23 with a couple of ring ins, boxing is amateur and not a patch on professional bouts, basketball is so one sided does anyone even bother watching?

Well, someone must be watching, because the comparison of viewership between the last summer and winter Olympics was 4.8 billion viewers for the summer games and only 1.8 billion for the winter games. So possibly, majority of the world might be in disagreement with you and in fact find that the Summer Olympics do indeed have real passion and importance.

I'm not watching to see people injured. It's the potential danger of snow and ice that makes it exciting. Seeing a sprinter hobble off with a hamstring strain doesn't get my heart racing.

That's again subjective and a matter of personal preference. How's your experience with Taekwondo or other forms of hand to hand fighting? That always seems to get my heart racing. As I've mentioned, there's just as much potential danger in the summer games as there is in the winter games...just because it's not caused by snow and ice doesn't make it any less exciting.

My kids both train in taekwando. It's probably the only one of the combat sports I can actually tolerate. Judo is lame and none of the wrestling disciplines really capture me. I am really excited about rugby sevens but once again it's not a patch on the rugby World Cup.

Lol I'd certainly have to agree with you that Judo is quite lame...possibly the only combat sport I can't stand to watch.

My kids both train in taekwando. It's probably the only one of the combat sports I can actually tolerate. Judo is lame and none of the wrestling disciplines really capture me. I am really excited about rugby sevens but once again it's not a patch on the rugby World Cup.
Care to explain why judo is lame?

The one thing I really can't stand about when the olympics roll around is when people start dropping their knowledge about all the obscure sports. Things they probably just learned by watching the hours of coverage or doing a google search, and now they are talking like experts on the sport. Like you are watching that curling game and some jabronie says "oh you see how he is pushing the broom at a 45 degree angle and then alternates sides to make sure the <whatever the F its called, stone maybe> slides in a counterclockwise fashion to beter facilitate it ...yada yada yada" fact is no ones gives a shit or think you are the shit for knowing this. I have more respect for the people who have no clue what is going on in 4 out of 5 events they watch, but are just blindly rooting for their countries athlete to win.

Speed skating, ski-high jump, biathlon, cross-country... Just to name a few off the top of my head.
It's no where near as fun to watch as the summer counter part but the games are still great and I will most definitely be watching.
I can't wait for the hockey tournament. For some reason I have a hard time following NHL play but international hockey is harder not to watch.

The one and done tournament style is great. It is what makes the olympic hockey tournament, the NCAA B-ball tournament, and the NFL playoffs my favorite times in sports. Even the World Cup of soccer, a sport I would hardly watch otherwise, has its thrilling moment because of the one and done. The NHL playoffs is very good, too, because the parity of the league makes so many serioes for 6 or 7 games, plus the guys really turn it up a couple nothces and play their assess off.

Last edited:
Care to explain why judo is lame?

It lacks the explosive power of wrestling, and as a spectacle it reminds me of two slightly overweight gay men undressing each other right before they have sex.

It seems to be the martial art of choice for fat middle age men, and let's face it if a judo exponent came at you wanting to flip you any other martial art worth their salt would lead with a straight jab to the face to keep his distance.