Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Obtaining a ADD diagnosis/prescription in QLD, Australia

KODA

Greenlighter
Over the last few years I've questioned whether I have ADD but have never really looked into it. Being 19 now, I can see a psychiatrist myself and try a solution to combat it.

Has anyone in QLD obtained a Ritalin/Concerta/etc prescription as an adult?

How many sessions did you have to attend before the Dr. handed over the script? I've heard that adults have to undertake a long series of tests, e.g. brain scans, which are considerably expensive (~$1000), is this true? How much are the prescriptions each month?

I just want some basic questions answered before I bother spending $300 (or what ever it is) to see the psychiatrist.

I am going to allow this thread to stay open for the time being, but it treads a thin line. There is to be no advice about how to get a prescription from the psychiatrist as far as what to say/symptoms/deceitful behaviour/etc. I am happy for people to post up the process that they had to go through to get diagnosed with ADD and recieve a script for it but lets not have any doctor shopper coaching.

All I know is from hearsay, from forums. But being diagnosed as an adult is extremely difficult, most likely as costly as you mentioned - or more - and you're going to be facing a very difficult battle to get amphetamines prescribed to you from any doctor as an adult. Just like a pain patient with opiods. These safe guards are in place for a reason. I don't agree with them, but they are.

Others here will know more, but IMO you will be wasting your money if all you want is ADHD medicine prescribed as an adult without any previously documented condition.

Also, don't ask your psych for meth, that won't work.

I am going to allow this thread to stay open for the time being, but it treads a thin line. There is to be no advice about how to get a prescription from the psychiatrist as far as what to say/symptoms/deceitful behaviour/etc. I am happy for people to post up the process that they had to go through to get diagnosed with ADD and recieve a script for it but lets not have any doctor shopper coaching.

Sorry about that. Yeah just advice on costs and the extent people have had to take would be helpful.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone here will provide me with estimates of costs. Seems nearly impossible though =\.

Others here will know more, but IMO you will be wasting your money if all you want is ADHD medicine prescribed as an adult without any previously documented condition.

It is possible though. I know of a hardcore junkie, that's all he's ever been in life. At 29yo he decides he wants dexamphetamine to supplement his meth habit, went to an ADHD gp who shares location with ADHD psychologist. He managed to pull of a diagnosis of ADHD with them, and then prescribed one of the medications with lesser abuse potential. Ofcourse he didn't want that, so after maybe only a month he was on Dexamamphetamine and still is a few years later.

I was amazed he could pull this off, as he's permanently been on welfare, a huge history of schedule8 opiods prescriptions including current, complete with suboxone for heroin withdrawl and just looks and sounds like a steretypical low socioeconomic junkie. This guy is smart but it really surprised me that one day he just decides he wants his own supply of dexies and a few months later he's got his own supply of dexies.

EDIT:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone here will provide me with estimates of costs. Seems nearly impossible though =\.

Ok the GP was normal GP price, medicare plus $20-$30 gap.

The psychologist was expensive. I think maybe $220 for 2nd consultation/diagnosis, 1st consultation is free, and I don't know if there was a psychiatrist involved or not. This happened in Qld, so either the psychologist makes the diagnosis and the specially trained GP does the prescribing or if that's not legally possible then I suppose a Psychiatrist was involved in the diagnosis too and maybe ongoing prescribing. That would be considerable expense but I wasn't told about any psychiatrist. Considering all this place does it diagnose add/adhd & has it's own ADD psychologist you'd think that's all that's needed but maybe not. My info is 3-4 years old.

Last edited:
I cant answer the OP question, but have one of my own.
I was diagnosed with ADD when I was about 10, and stopped taking them when I was about 15. Was not stopped by the doc either, I just didn't want to take them anymore.
Now, my question is, can I go to a psychiatrist and ask to be put back on them? Is there like a "database" where they can see I was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Dexy's?

^ It would be on your medical records. Your new doc will be able to transfer the records from your original prescribing doctor, but you'll have to sign your permission for that first. That'll be arranged by the new doc.

bobbydarren said:
The psychologist was expensive. I think maybe $220 for 2nd consultation/diagnosis, 1st consultation is free, and I don't know if there was a psychiatrist involved or not. This happened in Qld, so either the psychologist makes the diagnosis and the specially trained GP does the prescribing or if that's not legally possible then I suppose a Psychiatrist was involved in the diagnosis too and maybe ongoing prescribing. That would be considerable expense but I wasn't told about any psychiatrist.

In Vic at least a psychiatrist (rather than a psychologist or GP) is required to make an ADHD diagnosis. There are a handful of bulk billing psychiatrists around, so the cost won't necessarily be extreme, but there may be a long waiting list for these ones.

I never got my adderall till my 21st birthday.make it clear to the damn shrink that they are not you therefore they are not takint said medication or suffering due to beint given something shitty. Adderall ive heard is better than ritalin im super add so I just said fuck wellbutrin all that shit fuck strattera adderalls got the least side effects and its got 0 withdrawl if u have to not take it. Actuallt you get headaches if you take a 20mg after not taking a script of 15s fir a month solid. Get the extended release it works wayyy better than instants. Instants make you hyper as shit for 7 hours then bam they're outta your system and you get sleepy