• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NT children sniffing fuel leading to elevated blood lead levels a 'public health emer

poledriver

Bluelighter
NT children sniffing fuel leading to elevated blood lead levels a 'public health emergency'

8525306-3x2-940x627.jpg

The number of Northern Territory children with elevated blood lead levels from sniffing aviation fuel is higher than previously thought, authorities have said, amid "a public health emergency" in some remote communities.

The NT Health Department has conducted blood tests across several north-east Arnhem Land communities, targeting anyone thought to be sniffing fuel, as part of an emergency health campaign that began in April.

Of the 178 young people tested, 154 were found to have elevated levels of lead in their blood.

The highest was 17 times above the acceptable levels of 5 micrograms per decilitre; the average was six times above acceptable levels.

The NT has the highest levels of lead detected in blood of anywhere in the developed world, NT Centre for Disease Control acting director Charles Douglas said.

"It's a public health emergency," he said.
"It's a serious issue because the levels are high and, particularly in children, the effects are long-term and some of them are irreversible."

In May, the ABC revealed some children on Elcho Island were climbing on to planes and siphoning avgas from fuel tanks in the wings.

Trevor Gurruwiwi from Marthakal Group said the results were "very, very shocking".

He said the group, which runs the airport on Elcho Island is taking steps to address the problem, including seeking government funding for a security guard to patrol the airstrip and organising a community-led rehabilitative bush camp for children addicted to sniffing avgas.

Mr Douglas said it was pleasing to note a slight reduction in levels since testing began in April, due to children being prevented from accessing the source of the fuel in those communities tested — Galiwinku, Gapuwiyak, Yirrkala, Milingimbi, and some remote homelands on Elcho Island.

There was no evidence so far of the problem having spread to other communities, he said.

Cont -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-06/higher-blood-lead-levels-for-nt-kids-sniffing-fuel/8676550

Fuck man can't someone start growing some weed and shrooms so these kids can get high?? Even beers...this is crazy....if it's true I guess

Yeah it's true. In Labrador solvent abuse (mostly gasoline but whatever they can get really) is a epidemic basically and has been for decades. It's been in the news for as long back as i can remember anyway. Basically these people are living in 3rd world conditions and will do anything to make living in those hell holes somewhat more bearable. It's not easy to get real drugs in those places at all and the markup on even Weed or Hash can go over $100 a gram.

Lol man, same with Indians in reserves way up north in Quebec, if they start living off the reserves, they will huff gas when 10-12 and drink 40's of vodka and despite how bad they feel the next day will go on. I guess it's what happens when you have no taxes to pay, you get a huge welfare cheque and live in the middle of nowhere. No wonder they take the bus down here at the limit of civilization where many people are Métis to get some coke, meth, pills, PCP (they really, REALLY love PCP/'mesc' etc. and then shoot up in the bus toilet some of the dillies they got in town.

The day he was huffing computer duster was the last day I had seen that guy for more than a decade that "friend of mine", more like a guy who'd show up randomly at my house when I was 12-13. He disappeared, he went on a hitch hiking trip up to the Yukon and he did better drugs but the effects of the crap he huffed as a tween still show. Sad. Was kinda funny to see him fully bilingual so his brains aren't so scrambled. Although when he pointed at my Propagandhi shirt and said, those guys suck, real punk is like "oi oi oi", I said, that's actually Oi punk that you're describing, a skinhead type of music, not "punk" which is kind of a not-so valid word to describe Propagandhi, the hardcore is still in the background but it's not three chord boozefest music.