• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NSW teenager dies after taking LSD

Have we surrendered in the war on drugs?
Miranda Devine, Daily Telegraph

IN his school photo, Nick Mitchell looks like a typical skateboard-mad Central Coast 15-year-old: a cheeky grin, twinkling blue eyes and tousled hair. He could be anyone’s son.

But the Gosford High Year 9 student died after taking a drug believed to be LSD, at a time when drug use among young people is on the rise after more than a decade of decline.

Toxicology reports were still not complete on the exact composition of the tablets Nick and his unnamed friend took on that sweltering Saturday evening of December 1, Inspector Glenn Trayhurn said.

“We’re assuming from the facts known that it was possibly LSD,” he said.

“We don’t know how much he has ingested but it was more than his body could take.”

What is known is that a healthy 15-year-old boy died that night from suspected respiratory and heart complications, not long after ingesting the drug.

Insp Trayhurn says police have not yet been able to track down the dealer but he is exasperated at lax attitudes towards drug-taking.

“There’s no such thing as a recreational drug,” he said. “They’re illegal.”

He exhorts parents to educate children about the dangers of drugs: “It’s not just police, the whole community needs to get behind this and tell kids what the consequences are. In this case, they were catastrophic.”

Unfortunately the community is not backing up police. Instead, we are sending children an ambivalent message about drugs. We have Sydney’s St Vincent’s Hospital lending its reputation to the drug liberalising crusade of Dr Alex Wodak, who wants cannabis sold in little packets at the post office.

We have establishment figures like Foreign Minister Bob Carr endorsing the Australia21 group’s policy of drug decriminalisation.

Meanwhile, alcohol is the chief preoccupation of policymakers, who are intent on making it so expensive and difficult to obtain that illegal drugs are a logical, cheap alternative for cash-strapped young people. The inevitable result of slackening attitudes towards drugs is there for all to see in the statistics.

According to last year’s National Drug Strategy household survey, the number of people over 14 who used drugs in the previous year rose by 20 per cent between 2007 and 2010.

The use of hallucinogens more than doubled. The good news story on cannabis has also reversed after a decade’s steep decline.

Between 2007 and 2010 its use rose from 9.1 per cent to 10.3 per cent, despite mounting evidence of associated mental health harms, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder and even reduced IQ.

Despite warnings that the “war on drugs” was doomed to failure, drug use plummeted after the Howard government’s $500 million Tough on Drugs strategy was launched in 1997.

What the clampdown did was curtail the number of young people experimenting with drugs, delay the age of experimentation and reduce the number of people who used drugs on a regular basis.

But attitudes are changing, drug legalisers feel empowered, the Australian Federal Police are too busy with people smugglers and children are again receiving mixed messages.

While our vigilance wanes, drugs are becoming easier to obtain. Websites described as the “eBay of drugs” are springing up and authorities seem powerless to deal with them. In an extraordinary story by Conor Duffy from ABC’s 7.30 two weeks ago, convicted 20-year-old internet drug dealer Ryan West boasted about the easy money he made selling ecstasy, as much as $2500 a day, with profits of 800 per cent.

“I was extravagant,” he told Duffy. “I didn’t really care if I got caught. I wasn’t covering my trails at all.”

When West was eventually caught and convicted of four charges, including intent to supply a prohibited drug, the punishment he received was an intensive supervision order. What kind of deterrent is that for future drug dealers?

One indication of the consequences of our revitalised drug industry comes from the latest annual report of drug and alcohol rehabilitation service Odyssey House. The incidence of diagnosed mental illness among Odyssey clients leapt to 56 per cent, an increase of one-third over the previous year and a staggering five times higher than 13 years ago.

Chief executive James Pitt says the increasing prevalence of amphetamines, such as ice and speed, is the culprit.

“With amphetamine use (there are) hallucinations, auditory and visual,” he told the ABC yesterday. “People suffer from high levels of aggressiveness. They exhibit a lot more direct mental health problems than a lot of the other people.”

Back on the Central Coast, police have been doing their best to “stamp out” drug use, as Insp Trayhurn puts it. His command has increased drug detections in the past year by 2.5 per cent by targeting suspected dealers.

He is one of the good guys, but even he feels he has to make excuses for focusing on drug use, tying it to other crimes such as break and enter.

It is terrible to imagine the night of fear and madness Nick and his mate experienced three weeks ago. Nick’s friend suffered what police describe as a psychotic episode, stripped off his clothes and ran outside into traffic where he was hit by a car, suffering minor injuries.

Nick was found in a coma by his 11-year-old brother in his bedroom, which police said was in disarray. Now his devastated family is left to face Christmas without him.

Teenagers inevitably will take risks but sending them the amber light on drugs will only result in more tragedy.

^I'm from the US and thie first I've ever heard of Mr. Tony Wood, media whore extraordinaire is on bluelight! I'm sorry your daughter died 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 years ago, but move on! This probably wasn't actually LSD and every case with a drug overdose is completely different! There's plenty of perfectly legal things that occasionally kill people too! I personally know people that have died from "bad drugs", that doesn't mean I'm gonna wander around for the rest of my life spewing one-sided, ignorant propaganda!

But the Gosford High Year 9 student died after taking a drug believed to be LSD, at a time when drug use among young people is on the rise after more than a decade of decline.

Toxicology reports were still not complete on the exact composition of the tablets Nick and his unnamed friend took on that sweltering Saturday evening of December 1, Inspector Glenn Trayhurn said.

Were they microdots or are police getting confused by people calling them tabs?

^I'm from the US and thie first I've ever heard of Mr. Tony Wood, media whore extraordinaire is on bluelight! I'm sorry your daughter died 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 years ago, but move on! This probably wasn't actually LSD and every case with a drug overdose is completely different! There's plenty of perfectly legal things that occasionally kill people too! I personally know people that have died from "bad drugs", that doesn't mean I'm gonna wander around for the rest of my life spewing one-sided, ignorant propaganda!
Yep, you have the right attitude, even if your not from around here. true true.

We’re assuming from the facts known that it was possibly LSD,” he said.

“We don’t know how much he has ingested but it was more than his body could take.”

Must have been a hell of a lot of LSD then, not that most of us here think it was probably LSD. I wonder if we will ever hear what the tox results say about it.

- Re dist -Not sure what they were, wish they'd tell us, like colour, logo, size etc..

I liek many others find it very difficult to believe that the LSD alone had caused his death. I personally am leaning more towards the tabs not being LSD and containing some sort of dangerous compound or even a bad combination of substances. I have read quite a bit of material about LSD being compared to aspirin. Researchers say that LSD is less harmful than aspirin. The problem is LSD is not for everybody and certainly not for anyone who is not prepared for it or they do not have the proper head space for it (Set and Setting etc).

I have had plenty of friends who have flipped out on psychedelics so it is definitely not for everyone thats for sure. According to Erowid LSD's lethal dose is 12 000mg which is appx 170 tabs. Now I find it really hard to believe that thats how many were ingested, did he drink a whole bottle of liquid perhaps? I suppose without the toxicologist report it is really hard to understand what really happened. Im 99.9% sure it wasnt LSD alone that caused his death.

"Because the numbers of fatalities associated with LSD are so low, it is difficult to determine the risk of death associated with LSD. Erowid estimates that the risk of death from taking LSD is probably less than one death per million LSD use sessions, with risk of death higher among those predisposed to suicide and among those without a sober sitter present to help avoid accidents or fights."

At least that is one journalistic report where the journo acknowledges that the toxicology report is yet to be submitted.

II have read quite a bit of material about LSD being compared to aspirin. Researchers say that LSD is less harmful than aspirin. The problem is LSD is not for everybody and certainly not for anyone who is not prepared for it or they do not have the proper head space for it (Set and Setting etc).

I have to speak out against this. Just because it's as hard to have a lethal overdose on aspirin, is far from saying it's as harmless as aspirin.

On a HR board, don't call it harmless. HPPD is something people need greater awareness of.

Last edited:
Psychedelics can sometimes bring forth any undiagnosed mental/other issues one might have. If u have tendencies then it may trigger it. Ive been tripping 15 years and have yet to experience side effects from psychs. If u have tendencies then the use of aspirin may even bring it out. The toxicity of LSD is so low that it is compared to numerous harmless substances. You are way more likely to die in a car crash or have liver failure due to alcohol abuse. Im not glorifying LSD at all but I feel if one uses it sensibly there are very little negative consequences compared to other legal / illegal drugs. Hell id even say caffeine is more dangerous.

“We’re assuming from the facts known that it was possibly LSD,” he said.

I'm glad they added that bit. Pleasantly surprised :)

I doubt it was LSD like all of you, but I guess it's possible.

Even if the tox reports state that it wasnt LSD, the media will still portray it as a warning of the 'dangers of drugs'.

Jesus reading that article from the daily telegraph made me sick, that is some of the worst, uneducated, fear-mongering journalism I have ever had the intense displeasure of laying eyes upon. Fuck me just when it looked as though the evidence of the utter failure of the war on drugs was beginning to be acknowledged by a good part of the population something like this happens and the worlds morons whip themselves up into a moral frenzy. Wake up people, please just wake up, I'm tired of having to live with a near sub-species of humans who suffer from an acute logic and reasoning deficiency. Grrr. Rant over.

haha i quickly glanced at this article the other day while waiting for my coffee, it was good for a giggle! people actually pay for these papers can you believe it? same goes for commercial tv, people actually watch the shite. how scary must the internet be for these people without any sort of censorship...yet?

meanwhile our education system is going backwards...

dont think just do as your told.

sooo i hear there are jobs going at customs sydney airport atm? plenty of 'overtime' and extra 'perks'.

Last edited:
If it was lsd he would have had to have held his breath until he passed out to have cardiac and respiratory problems.

Even then, you can't die from holding your breath. You can starve yourself of oxygen until you pass out, but once you are unconcious, your body starts breathing again.
Maybe it was 2CT7? It has some of the same properties as LSD but can cause tachycardia, which can lead to cardiac arrest... Strongly doubt it was LSD... Can't ever recall even hearing of anyone ODing or dying from taking it, even trips to the Psych Ward aren't that common. And how did they know it was LSD? Neither the kid or his mate survived to tell the tale... Even the toxicology report only "led police to BELIEVE that it MAY have been LSD"

^i don't think 2c-t-7 is active in small enough for blotters is it? most of that mix-up has had to do with mislabeling.

there's really no point in speculating in what it might or mightn't be, anyway.

*ough cough* bullshit it wasn't "LSD" or perhaps he had somekind of deadly reaction..unkniown of, but very rare like havung triplets.....

'Red alert' over bizarre killer drug

Warning over drug with strange side effects-

A SA man battered himself to death after consuming-

'60s style psychedelics make a comeback.

A POWERFUL warning has been issued over a drug sold as LSD linked to the deaths of Aussie teenagers, as the 60s hallucinogen enjoys a resurgence.

A Red Alert has been issued by the Trans European Drug Information Project (TEDIP) over the substance, 25I-NBOMe, which is sold as LSD.

The drug has been implicated in a number of deaths in South Australia. One man died in March 2012 after beating himself to death against objects including trees and poles, while on 25I-NBOMe, and a related substance.

LSD and other hallucinogens have risen in popularity in recent years, particularly among 20 to 29 year olds, according to the latest National Drug Strategy Household Survey.

Drug educator Paul Dillon presents drug education programs in schools and says there’s been a substantial spike in interest in hallucinogens among teenagers.

"I certainly see a dramatic increase in hallucinogens in general," Mr Dillon said – even including more powerful hallucinogens, like "DMT".

The report said 25I-NBOMe is deadly in high doses and that the emergence of the substance on the street "requires serious reactions from health care institutions",

doctors, users and the media. Mr Dillon said it is rare for TEDI to release such a powerful warning.

"People need to be aware there’s a risk," he said. "When they put that it, it’s like: 'We really need to tell people'."

This drug, which is being sold under the name LSD, can be toxic in high doses, the TEDI report warned.

LSD does not regularly cause death by overdose, rather by misadventure, as hallucinations often cause people to take part in dangerous behaviour such as walking in front of cars or jumping from tall objects, said Mr Dillon.

Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham of the NSW Drug Squad said people contemplating taking the drug should be aware they don't know exactly what they are taking.

In December, Nick Mitchell, 15, from the NSW Central Coast, died after taking what was believed to be LSD. Nick's friend, also 15, ran naked onto a busy road and was knocked down by a car.

Mr Dillon said he had visited many schools since Nick’s death and has warned students: "We have no idea how he died yet... but we know there is LSD in Europe that has contained [the toxic substance]".

NSW Police is awaiting a toxicology report to confirm what substance Nick consumed.

A researcher at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, Joe Van Buskirk, told news.com.au 25I-NBOMe and similar drugs have become popular online imports in the hallucinogen category of substances.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...arre-killer-drug/story-fneuzlbd-1226583371088

So 25i is the culprit in the original story? Is it still legal in Aus?

LSD does not regularly cause death by overdose, rather by misadventure, as hallucinations often cause people to take part in dangerous behaviour such as walking in front of cars or jumping from tall objects, said Mr Dillon.

Thank fuck they're using a little bit of sense this time.

I think they still don't know what it was -

Mr Dillon said he had visited many schools since Nick’s death and has warned students: "We have no idea how he died yet... but we know there is LSD in Europe that has contained [the toxic substance]".

NSW Police is awaiting a toxicology report to confirm what substance Nick consumed.

How long does a tox report take?