NOvember 2.0 (alcohol free)

Sorry, come again? To whom were you referring?

I do believe they must have been referring to someone else in a separate thread. If they tell you, a senior mod could move the post to the correct thread. Hell, moderators might be able to do that, I'm not sure because I've yet to try to move a single post outside of a forum I moderate.

So, how's everyone's NOvember going?

I wouldn't say I'm someone to look up to or anything but it's going for me. I have been more nauseous but I think that's about it.

Actually there was a post further up by Cyc about having pain below the left ribcage, maybe that one?

Glad it's going well CH, keep it up..

Dr. House, on call!

Actually there was a post further up by Cyc about having pain below the left ribcage, maybe that one?

A3ED97A1-1827-49CC-BFA476BA2E8565B4.jpg

You're correct, but... the liver appears to be mostly on the right side of the body, with less of it on the left side.

So if that is what Missykins is referring to, it is probably not the case for Cyc.

^ she mentioned pancreatitis too which could easily cause left lower ribcage pain...

disclaimer: we can't possibly diagnose anything off the internet - always get these things checked by a doctor.. pancreatitis is associated with alcohol use and could cause these symptoms, but so could a lot of things.

Last edited:
^ she mentioned pancreatitis too which could easily cause left lower ribcage pain...

disclaimer: we can't possibly diagnose anything off the internet - always get these things checked by a doctor.. pancreatitis is associated with alcohol use and could cause these symptoms, but so could a lot of things.

Hehe, of course, Cyc, if the pain gets worse, I think you would already know to seek attention. For those of you un-aware, "House M.D." is a TV show where the main character is a doctor, and his name is Doctor House.

I hope you feel better nonetheless Cyc; I had to run somewhere to make it on time, and by the end, my side was hurting so much. It's never a pleasant feeling.

You might have mild pancreatitis or hepatitis (I don't mean infectious hepatitis).

I've spent several internet hours trying to figure this out. I have considered both of these, and I too wonder if this is the case.

The pressure under my ribs is gone. I felt it a slight bit last week when I ate a bunch of crap, but overall it has subsided. What hasn't subsided is the cold feet. Although I would say now instead of being varying degrees of cold 100% of the time, they're cold about 50% of the time and normal the other 50%.

I phoned a nurse today, and she didn't really give me much insight. Either way, I'm going to a doctor to find out what the problem is. I remember on my last big binge drinking night, now well over a month ago, having this massive cramp in my side. I don't remember which side it was now, but I remember I had to lean forward and arch my back to get relief. It almost felt like a charlie horse in my guts. It lasted maybe 10 minutes and subsided. These symptoms came on strong a couple days later.

I'm having what I would consider short spells of weakness from time to time, but they always pass fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I'm on board this month. This will be my 7th month of sobriety from alcohol. I'm hoping to keep up the stride as long as possible. Sobriety feels good for the most part.

Also, haven't shaved my face in 4 weeks lol
wolfgang this is excellent news man (re: both the sobriety AND the beardy ;))
7 months sobriety is amazing and you should feel really proud of your achievements. Keep up the good work!!

Just by way of a bump . . .

Not had a drink for over a week now, and taking the Antabuse and Acamprosate religiously. Not craving too much, but have had a little help with that I need to be careful with. Need to check in with the addiction unit at some point the next week or so for a review of treatment, but got a drawer full of scripts for the meds should see me through till well into the New Year as it is, so really more about it being time to put the counselling back in place I think.

Feeling pretty good and together at the minute. It's nice not constantly flipping between permanently drunk / permanently hungover, doing loads better at work, moods lifting already, and generally a much nicer person for my girlfriend to be around. Not felt so positive in a while. Hope I can get something productive out of it, see if I can't make it last a while. :)
Sepher that is awesome!! You are an inspiration to me <3

I can't yet claim that I've had a week of sobriety, nor have I been sober all of November so far. But this is my month to really give it my all, and apply everything I've learnt at therapy thus far. Everyone's success in this thread is very motivating and inspiring for me, so thank you all <3

I phoned a nurse today, and she didn't really give me much insight. Either way, I'm going to a doctor to find out what the problem is.
Yeah Cyc, definitely get it checked out with a doctor. Have you booked the appointment? I'm not sure when the last time you had a full bloods check was either, but make sure you do that too, okay? Liver, kidneys, electrolytes, everything.

And thank you for starting this thread Cyc, and thank you to everyone for your contributions thus far. I wish everyone the very best with their sobriety this month :) <3

Nice one to those who are remaining sober <3 It takes a hell of a lot.

I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm trying... I'm failing, failing, failing...

Not consuming as much as I was pre-hospital but I'm still consuming, which is not fucking good.
Stress is one reason I lean toward it.
I've been so depressed and fatigued, though wired, since consuming less. Munched 60mg of Nitraz in 2 days, got 2 tabs left. Taken extra Codeine and Diazepam so I'll be running out early. Punishment for doing such stupid things though.

Anyhoo, I wish everyone the very best - Keep the strength that I cannot seem to muster <3

Cranial abdominal pain: the differentials are 1. liver, 2. stomach, 3. small intestines 4. pancreas, and 5. gall bladder. Liver, pancreas, and gall bladder
disease (which I omitted) can co-occur with alcoholism (I am not calling you an alcoholic)/heavy or chronic drinking.

I would make an appt with a physician and disclose your drinking habits, any other medications.

Has anyone heard of alcoholic neuropathy

According to that article, it's prevalence is extremely high [50%] among people who drink. I was thinking my cold feet might have something to do with that. My feet fluctuate between normal, mildly cold and freezing cold throughout the day, and it's seemingly random. It has nothing to do with temperature or how many layers I have on. One minute they're cold, then it feels like they're recovering from a cold winter's day, then they're normal. Then cold again.

I wonder if this might be the cause. My abdominal discomfort is extremely mild, almost more like pressure than pain, and over the past couple weeks I no longer notice it unless I eat a huge meal. I took my glucose today and I was 47 (near perfect) and that was after eating a bunch of left over halloween candy, so I don't think it's diabetes related.

I wonder if mild gastritis and mild alcoholic neuropathy could explain my symptoms. I know, I know.. I need to get blood work done to be sure. But I tell ya, after getting to know some people in the medical profession, I trust my ability to Google better than their ability to Google.. ;) So many people go get an array of tests done, they all come back normal and yet the symptoms persist. Oh, and I hate that they don't call you back if everything is fine. Maybe it's just here in Canada, but if you get tests done, you know you're good if you don't get a phone call. That just seems wrong to me. Wouldn't sharing good news with people brighten up their day as well? Anyways, I don't have a family doctor (I fired my last one because she was a useless cunt) and I'm waiting for a new one. I can go to a walk-in clinic and request all the tests to be done. I will do so on Monday.

3 weeks so far and no alcohol. Was at a poker game tonight and it was surprisingly easy. Hang in there, monsta. One day at a time.

Last edited:
It's refreshing to let go of that ball and chain (after so many failed attempts), but I sometimes sleep with one eye open during difficult times.

I also find that having a few small reachable goals helps me actually reach the more difficult ones.

Thanks for the support n3o! You are great!

^^ Anytime man!! :) <3

According to that article, it's prevalence is extremely high [50%] among people who drink. I was thinking my cold feet might have something to do with that.
I wonder if mild gastritis and mild alcoholic neuropathy could explain my symptoms. I know, I know.. I need to get blood work done to be sure. But I tell ya, after getting to know some people in the medical profession, I trust my ability to Google better than their ability to Google.. ;)
1. Don't self-diagnose using the internet. 90% of the time you'll be wrong ;)
2. Go to the doctor!!!! :)

.....seriously though, do it.

And congrats on 3 weeks sober Cyc!! That is awesome <3

Glad to hear that everyone's still doing well in their sobriety. I was sorely tested this weekend: it was a shit week, and I would have loved a whiskey (or three) to unwind. But I prevailed.

Oh, and I've decided to do Mo- and No- vember concurrently. Photos will be forthcoming, as well as donation info if anyone's interested.

^ excellent, that really made me smile :) i certainly am interested!

Because I'm lazy, all I can give right now is a webcam photo. Apologies for the quality. If I'm feeling motivated tomorrow, I'll post a proper photo.

NSFW:
2011%2B-%2B1

Edit - better photo

Last edited:
Dave I love it too, looks awesome! Like the style you went for. You should keep it after MOvember is done :)

So I wasn't joining in the NOvember thing as such, but have had a change of heart. I can't promise to stay away from alcohol all the time, things are rough at the mo and I don't feel I can promise anything like that, but I am going to do my best to cut down and give it a miss as much as possible. Maybe the fact that I am going through a bad time makes it all the more important to do this, so I don't start using it as a crutch..

How's everyone else doing? <3

Another 8 days chalked up Effie since my last update, so about 2 and a half weeks now with no booze. Not been sober this long since I first started on the meds well over 6 months ago. Yay me! :D

Cravings are generally fine and manageable, but sleep's been a bit disturbed the last few days, though dog tired generally, and mood's up and down. Woke up snarling at everything yesterday for no reason I could put my finger on, and took a good morning at work for me to reel my temper in and chill the fuck out. Dunno what that's about, but better moodwise today. I think it's an effect of the meds, and as the level of Disulfiram in my system increases, so does the tiredness, and that feeds into my mood. It's one of the reasons why I don't like taking them. Being tired though is better then being drunk, and maybe if I actually get used to them instead of constantly playing around with them it will level out in time. Not really given that chance up to now, a month-ish being the longest stint of sustained daily use. We shall see at the end of November I guess. ;)

This thread has been an invaluable help btw for some reason. I'm finding it oddly motivating. Didn't expect to find that. Cheers all. :)

Been totally Alcohol free since October of last year. Met my goal of one year this last October. My goal was to remain completely sober off of everything for a year and I fucking did it (lots of hard work, medication and therapy) Decided to extend it till AT LEAST the New Year. Not really opposed to maybe smoking some herb at some point in a little while, but I don't want to open the can of worms that is drinking and the holiday season. Lots of people use it as an excuse to go heavy. I did.

I will tell people it gets much easier over time. I drank at least a beer or two almost daily for about 8 years. I also had an off and on relationship with opiates as well. That got all mixed up and when I wasn't using opiates I was drinking three or more beers a night. I had to stop everything to get ahold of myself.

I will say that it took several tries for me. I honestly started prepping myself for this at least two years ago. I would have occasional quits that would only last a week or two.

One of my major issues has always been sleep, and I know sleeping issues causes many a relapse. Do not be afraid to take an OTC sleep aid or use one if you are prescribed one. I take 25 milligrams of seroquel for sleep myself. Want to get off of it eventually, but sleep has always been a major issue as an insomniac. Honestly, some of my earliest memories are of me laying in bed as a little child unable to fall asleep. Not an excuse to self medicate.

Another tip, just be honest with yourself. I have seen some ridiculous amounts of denial. I myself was in a little bit of it and didn't realize it until 2 months later after I quit.

I don't come to bluelight that often anymore, but if you want to message me with any questions please do so. I will try hard to remind myself to come back here.

Also, I had another user name before this one, I really have to wonder just how many hours I have spent on this website. Its been a frickin DECADE.

Last edited: