• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids not building a tolerance to opiates. why?

withlove

Bluelighter
Gonna post this here, if it should be in BDD or has been covered somewhere I didnt see direct this post or me there.

I dont tend to build much tolerance to opiates.
I used to use dope way back when and couldnt build a tolerance up back then either.

Now I have chronic pain and have been prescribed dilaudid, morphine and now percs.

Dilaudid i could never take more than 2 mg even after months and months.
Morphine i stayed on 5mg every 4 hours for almost 2 years, at the end i moved up to 7.5mg but it didnt make much difference and the side effects were just worse.
i'm taking 5/325 percs now and i feel like with these im building a bit of tolerance but i've been on the only 6 weeks and i think the will plateau out soon.

I'm definitely not complaining about this, i know a lot of people would love to have this problem, im just curious to see if anyone has any idea why i dont build tolerance even with daily use.

thanks!

Keeping your doses as low as they are, is definitely helping your tolerance. It sounds like you're using your meds therapeutically and not recreationally, this is also keeping your tolerance at bay. it sounds like You're doing all the right things, continue to do so, and your tolerance won't spike. Good job.

- HOPELESS SOUL

What is causing you to switch medications if you don't get tolerant to them?

You are one lucky motherfucker, I hate you in the nicest possible way lol.

Rotate your opiates, you have enough variety so doing this is possible and will be helping your low tolerance. Well done you extremely unique bastard. Take care. Grrrrfrr lol

Rotating opiates never helped me with tolerance. Tolerance is built by inconsistent dosing and dosages, as long as you don't take a larger equivalent dose than normal, your tolerance won't ever spike. I know people who have been on 10mg of hydrocodone once daily for years but they never thought of it as a drug, just their daily regimen.

What is causing you to switch medications if you don't get tolerant to them?

dilaudid started making me angry. it also tanks my blood pressure.
morphine made me lazy and after 2 years didnt work on my pain, but i couldnt increase because the side effects got worse and the pain relief didnt increase.

Keeping your doses as low as they are, is definitely helping your tolerance. It sounds like you're using your meds therapeutically and not recreationally, this is also keeping your tolerance at bay. it sounds like You're doing all the right things, continue to do so, and your tolerance won't spike. Good job.

- HOPELESS SOUL

i do use them mostly therapeutically, i do very much enjoy them and i would say some dependance on them psychologically.

most of the people i know who deal with chronic pain take higher doses than i do after this amount of time.

the fact that i always catch a buzz after so long on the same dose is a bit strange, but i'll take it.

i read some of the doses people take and they would lay me out, even after over 2 years on pills and being a former junkie. i guess im just a light weight.

Isn't that what tolerance is?

the pain relief wouldnt increase but id get more stoned.
i think morphine wasnt effective for my pain in general though because now that im on percs i have a much higher level of pain relief with less bad side effects at a similar dose converted.

Your building a tolerance to the analgesic effects of morphine, but it's still giving you euphoria..

-HS

Quickly just want to say I was taking morphine 5-10gm 3-4x a day for a few years and it got the point where my gut slowed down and almost stopped and it became ineffective for pain. i switched to 5mg oxy ( starting at 2.5 and working up over 2 weeks) and have better pain relief

You said this, right? You built a tolerance to morphine and went onto a stronger drug, oxycodone.

You said this, right? You built a tolerance to morphine and went onto a stronger drug, oxycodone.

yup.
its about the same as a converted dose though.

and i only upped the morphine after close to 2 years.

im not saying its the exact same but it seems like a really long amount of time when compared to others.

Your building a tolerance to the analgesic effects of morphine, but it's still giving you euphoria..

-HS

yes, and also morphine wasnt a great fit pain wise in the beginning. but IV morphine works really well oral not so much and i had worse side effects from it orally.

A lot of people get the sustained released morphine sulphate. They get a lot of complaints, and give instant release morphine a bad name.

- Hopeless Soul

It's interesting that you get tolerant to the pain relief when using it for pain, whilst i would get tolerant to the euphoria when using it for euphoria.

Universal Law of Polarity, i guess.

A lot of people get the sustained released morphine sulphate. They get a lot of complaints, and give instant release morphine a bad name.

- Hopeless Soul

i was taking instant release morphine. i dont think i could take sustained release morphine, i would never shit again. ever.

It's interesting that you get tolerant to the pain relief when using it for pain, whilst i would get tolerant to the euphoria when using it for euphoria.

Universal Law of Polarity, i guess.

yea, its troublesome though because i need meds to function but end up high and squishy on my couch, which would be fine if i just wanted to get high but i gotta adult sometimes.
i have to say percs are better and i have a lot more energy on them and my pain is better controlled.

I should elaborate, Two of the salt forms morphine comes in is, hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sulfuric acid. IMO morphine hcl is much better than sulfuric..

-HS