• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 15 Sep 03: Random driver drug tests are on the way (Latest guess Dec 1)

Well good to finally have some more concrete facts (assuming the Australian has its facts straight).

So they are saying Methamphetamine and THC will be the only 2 chemicals tested for, and that whatever they are testing will be there for 8 and 3 hours respectively.

Not as bad as we were expecting, although it will probably open the doors for all sorts of crackdowns and additions.

I certainly wouldn't be assuming "I can have MDMA, but not methamphetamine". MDMA is a type of amphetamine, its not methamphetamine, but may still be an issue. If you are also going through a 'drug bus' and they test you and nothing comes up, you can still be sobriety tested and they can take it further on that basis. If you pupils are wide and you looked fucked, you still might have something to answer for. Keep off the roads, for everyones sake.

Just watched 10 news version of this story. They said that only THC and Methamphetamine could be detected, other drugs like Heroin and pure Ecstacy could not be detected.

i imagine the truckies would be hell pissed......i doubt they'll be delivering to victoria any more, haha.

Yeah Cowboymac i'm pretty certain people will learn to not risk pushing MDMA on the testers, if not for the amphetamine link but also because without lab testing, it's pretty much impossible to know if your pill has even trace amounts of meth in it.

'pure ecstacy' meaning 100% MDMA I'd say.

this wont be worth the 'guess-work' to know what has been pressed into your pills.

Thanks for all the info. I don't understand the whole time frame thing though. It doesn't allow for quantity. Like if someone has one cone and someone else has 20, they both wait 3 hours from the last cone, will they both show up clear? And with amphetamines, if one person has half a point and another has 2 points are they both going to show up clear within eight hours?

^^^ I'm not certain of the specifics in the case you suggest (1 vs 20 cones). As i understand it, however, the reason these saliva tests can only detect THC for 3 hours (where as a blood/urine test can detect it for far longer) is because THC is very water insoluble, so the only reason THC would be present in any real quantity in saliva would be from smoking it leading to some being deposited on the walls of the mouth.

Amphetamines, on the other hand, can dissolve in water, so they're more able to float back and forth across the membranes in the mouth to and from the bloodstream (hence the ability the administer amphetamines sublingually) so they can be detected for longer.

Also, presumably MDMA would show up as it is an amphetamine. Actually, I could have sworn that they were planning to do a five-fold test, with individual panels for unsubstituted amphetamines, cocaine, MDMA, THC and opiates... of course, that info was as of six or so months ago, so the plan may have changed since then!

^^ Yay for the msuhies comment. . .

Not sure if somebody has already said this, what about people who have Prescriptions for Dexamphetamine. Or even people who take it rec. will it pick that or even confuse the device enough so they wouldn't be able to tell what you had?

Dexamphetamine is dexamphetamine, whether made in a backyard lab or prescribed by the doctor. So of course it's gonna show up positive!! The only way that I cans ee them dealing with such a thing (and i heard of the possibility of false positives from, for example, pseudoephedrine, as well) would be to have a threshold limit that allowed for normal medical doses (which presumably is less than recreational doseages, although I'm not certain of that) and/or to have you produce a copy of your prescription.

This is gonna be a killer coming back from events like Earthcore. Personally, i dont drive and while i wouldn't let my driver take us home again under the influence, im sure come earthcore he's gonna *party* and after 3 days of *partying* who's to say how long to wait after he's sobered up?? cause if theres gonna be any place you can gaurantee cops to be doing this, its at the big raves like EC.

Lukily though, so far we all just plan to be shrooming for EC'04, so hopefully that doesn't get picked up (and no, i wouldn't let someone under the influence of shrooms drive)

EDITED I have removed the reference to "saliva testers" from this post, as I have not been able to clarify details on the testing method. The penalty information is accurate.

This is third hand information, and unfortunately I do not have the full story at this stage, however I am posting this as a cautionary note.

A FOAF was busted for driving under the influence of MDMA while driving a car in melbourne (I believe it was last weekend), and according to my information he had only had "pills" (I will get more info as soon as I can, I am unaware of whether he had smoked marijuana or taken any amphetamines separately to the ecstasy, or what test method was used to determine the drug influence).

My apologies for the sketchy details, but he was given $2000 fine and 2 years loss of driver license for driving under the influence of drugs. More info when I can get it.

BigTrancer :)

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll be after this sort of info anyway, but the sort of things's I'm interested in hearing about are:
  • What the exact procedure was with the test
  • Whether it was a set up operation (like a booze bus), or whether it was just a patrol car that pulled this person over for a routine reason
  • How they were treated when the positive result was returned
  • Whether the positive result lead to them being searched or having their car searched
  • Whether the fine was an "on the spot" fine where you pay it and the issue is over with, or whether it automatically has to go to court regardless
Cheers for the info BT! :)

Interesting. A friend told me these tests are not in place yet. They were set to begin July 1st but will not be starting then due to complications with the test picking up other things and various complications with the tender. I too am a little sketchy on the details as i was in a hurry when friend was explaining it but basically its not going to happen for at while (maybe as long as a year). He got his information during a lecture, from lecturer at uni. Not too sure what the uni lecturers link/relationship the lecturer has to the drug testing but i wouldn't imagine a lecturer would get up and dileberately mislead a lecture theatre full of students.
Will try to get in touch with friend and get the full story.

Beech out

spoke to friend and the lecture he had at uni was taken by the people who make the testing equipment and according to them there are still many issues with the legislation they are having to iron out, too many unresolved issues and unanswered questions.
According to them the testing will not be introduced til next year

so, when you get dry mouth from both meth or cannabis, can they still get any saliva to test??????

Not to discredit your source BT but I'm sure the official release date is the 1st of July. That said theres always the chance of earlier testing I suppose.

Mulling over the swab squad
By John Elder June 27, 2004 The Age

Duff Beer is the brew favoured by Homer Simpson, which he drinks at home on the couch as a fun way of passing time. Curiously, the director of research at the Australian Drug Foundation is a man named Duff - Dr Cameron Duff - who kind of declared this week that drugs, notably party drugs, are the new beer.

"Drug use seems to have become a leisure activity in its own right," he said, citing a foundation survey of 380 peppy Melbourne nightclubbers. In short, pillin' and chillin' are now "mainstream". Dr Duff made a careful call for national policy makers to "rethink" their approach to managing the heartland's latest hobby.His comments made news, but inspired no outrage.

Consider, on Friday night a real-life Edna Everage called Radio National talkback to say that expelling school students found smoking weed wouldn't deter other students from bonging on. "Kids smoke marijuana," she said. "It's just a fact of life."She could well have been talking about the quality of lamingtons at a church fete, such was her shrugging tone.

Certainly, John Howard isn't slapping his forehead with amazement and a Homer-like, "Doh!" But the random drug testing by Victoria Police of 9000 motorists over the next 12 months might do it.

The world-first experiment begins in four days - at least that's when the police officially get their powers to conduct the testing. The first roadside swabbing is actually some weeks away; the technology isn't in the hands of the police yet.

The sampling of drivers won't give us a definitive picture of Australia as a stoner nation - yet it promises to make a compelling one.

When the drug test kits turn up, and if they hold up, we'll know if drug-driving exceeds drink-driving's popularity. More fatal accidents involve drugs than drink - and drink-driving is very popular indeed. Consider the recent blitz on the West Gate Bridge: a boozer at the wheel caught every four minutes.

During the drug trial, drivers will be tested for cannabis and speed - and not the full range of popular party favourites, including the top whiz, ecstasy. It's presumed that a good number of E-users will be nabbed, because speed is widely used to cut the huggy drug - one bound to invisibly confuse the trial's analysis and resulting profile.

Also confused are the subscribers to marijuana.com. A newspaper story about the drug test trail was posted on the site last month, birthing a discussion board featuring many people with dope-related nicknames - some outraged about their bodies being invaded (by the swab), but many more of a mellow disposition who considered the police campaign a reasonable idea.

Bongwater writes: "Yeah, I'm for it if it can show recent traces, like within the last four hours. But if it can't tell when you used a drug, then it is ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed." Smoking Joe Lee, likewise: "I don't like the idea of anyone driving while intoxicated but... when testing for alcohol, there is an agreed-upon level that says, 'You're wasted!' Will the swab system work in a similar way?"

Put your dreamy minds at ease, fellas. I called George Svigos, media adviser to Police Minister Andre Haermeyer. George says the swabs will pick up the good stuff within two to three hours of smoking it.

A helpful tip: stock up on munchies before twisting up. No more late night dashes to the 7-Eleven.

From The Age

That article from yesturdays age indicates four days till the police even get the powers of testing let alone the working equipment. There could be trials though, would never argue with BT ;)