Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Rave party team defies drug test ban

Sevoflurane

Bluelighter
Rave party team defies drug test ban
November 29, 2005 - 10:29AM

Organisers of South Australia's largest rave party have vowed to continue to offer testing of drugs at the event.

The organisers of this weekend's Summer Enchanted rave party today criticised the state government for not allowing pill testing, saying it did not care about the health of young people.

The drug testing is to allow customers to check what they are buying.

Melbourne-based drug research group Enlighten Harm Reduction has withdrawn its pill testing service from the dance party after the state government refused permission for it to operate.

Under SA's Controlled Substances Act, the government must issue a permit to legally allow drug testing for the purpose of research.

Enlighten said it had been threatened with arrest if it pressed ahead with testing.

Rave organisers Enchanted Crew said while no official pill testing would occur, partygoers could still obtain kits to conduct their own tests in unsupervised environments.

"Our opinion is that to stop pill testing is far more dangerous than to allow it," Enchanted Crew said in a statement.

"There will be people testing their own pills but as no official pill testing is allowed there will be no data.

"Not only is this a health risk for the people at the event but it deprives the experts of valuable information about drugs.

"The message from the government of South Australia is that they don't care about the health of young people.

"It won't allow research from credible organisations. It won't allow serious harm minimisation."

Summer Enchanted, to be held at an undisclosed location in Adelaide's northern suburbs, is expected to draw up to 8,000 people.

At the Winter Enchanted rave party in July, 50 tablets were illegally screened, with at least one girl discarding her pill after tests showed it contained ketamine.

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rave-party-team-defies-drug-test-ban/2005/11/29/1133026438098.html

Last edited:
JB gave an interview on Triple J's 'Hack' program this afternoon which i'll put up tonight, and JB will be debating the Minister for Health and Ageing, Christopher Pyne, on Thursday's Hack. We have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes and developing a number of initiatives that will bring together many projects together such as research, pillreports.com, pill testing etc. and will be looking for your help shortly to sign an electronic petition that we will be submitting to the government.

I'm so looking forward to hearing JB vs. that fuckwit Pyne :D I still have that file from when Steve Canane ate him alive earlier in the year, its gold. Do us proud JB :D

Good work to enlighten for promoting awareness and pill testing at Earthcore this year too. I think alot of people truely took the message on board and nearly everytime I went to the toilet (which was where the flyers were) people were discussing them.
good work!!!!

Ha ha. That Pyne wanker is just asking to be shamed. The interview he had with Steve earlier in the year was hilarious. If your still reading this site JB, tear that bastard a new arsehole.

fcuk in heaven

Why all the Yes, No, Yes no bullshit, its pathetic, and rude, its like giving a child a lolly then taking it bck off them, its bound toc ause more problem than not giving it to them at all grrr

Stick it to the man, jb and CM :) South Australia needs pill screening just as much as anywhere else (perhaps more).

on_the_rise_5 said:
Why all the Yes, No, Yes no bullshit, its pathetic, and rude, its like giving a child a lolly then taking it bck off them, its bound toc ause more problem than not giving it to them at all grrr
to be fair they never said we could do it, we just did it and now they're trying to step in and say we cant.

What time is "Thursday hack" on - will you guys be posting a recording of it on BL?

^^^ 5:30pm on Triple J.

Go here if you don't know the frequencey for your area (although I'm sure everyone know's). :)

Also, Triple J now have lots of interviews and programs downloadable here, so you can listen to this new interview once they update it.

Some amazing question dodging by Christopher Pyne (got pwned by Steve but). How many times did he have to ask what evidence there was supporting the ban on pill testing?
Has he heard of selective hearing?

"I don't need to see any evidence" Coke actually came out my nose with that one. Seriously like all over the steering wheel, dashboard, windscreen, gearstick (jks). His view that even if evidence came that it reduces harm and demand he wouldn't support it was astounding. Good to know we have clear thinking politicians like this in charge of Australia. We could do with more of them.

He did have a good point about people taking this as a "guarantee" that it's safe. While informed people (ie. Bluelighters) may know better, some people will take the reagent tests as a green light that everything will be fine. But as JB said, they just need more info and better equipment.

Respect to Steve for some well thought out questions, JB for some insanely smart answers, and to the rave organisers for battling it out.

I also have respect for Chris for participating in the interview. But listening to him is as comfortable as passing a kidney stone.

Cowboy Mac said:
to be fair they never said we could do it, we just did it and now they're trying to step in and say we cant.

Ohh hehe, sorry, i just remembered reading that u were heading over there so yeh, well lets just hope it is all safe, however bad it sounds it could be partially benificial for a slight problem to occur so that u could argue if you were there, the problem could ahve been prevented, and as people are going to consume it each yr with or without ur presence, how can the presence be a negative...

Group promises not to test ecstasy pills at rave

A volunteer organisation which tests recreational drugs at dance parties has promised to obey police orders and not carry out the tests at this weekend's Enchanted Rave party at Port Gawler.

Enlighten Harm Reduction tested pills at a similar event in July, despite opposition from police and the State Government.

Group founder Johnboy Davison says his team will be at the event, but party-goers wanting to test pills will have to do it themselves.

"We'll be selling the testing kits, we always sell the testing kits because there's nothing illegal about them," he said.

"We just simply won't be demonstrating their use and offering advice on the tests we usually perform for people on their pills."

Enchanted organiser Daniel Michael says authorities should support pill testing to ensure the safety of partygoers.

"Ecstasy consumption is on the rise not just at things like dance parties but very significant consumption in other areas pubs, clubs, peoples homes etcetera," he said.

"So the kind of research that we get and the kind of knowledge that the professionals gain from pill testing is really important, but we don't have that because of political and moral issues."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1522785.htm

Big props must go to the Enchanted organisers for their continued support.

This version didn't include me saying that although we didn't test this time we are not ruling it out in South Australia in the future. This isn't over, not by a long shot. When I get back to Melb I'l post up some photos of the huge police presence their, including the plains clothes guys that followed us around at a discreet distance. It must have been very boring for them; it sure was for us with no testing to do.

Last edited:
well looky what happened after we left...

Mystery tablet blamed for overdoses

December 04, 2005

A MYSTERY green tablet has been blamed for a number of drug overdoses at an outdoor rave party in Adelaide.

The unknown designer drug is believed to have been taken by four overdose victims at the all-night Summer Enchanted Rave, held at Port Gawler, which attracted more than 5000 people overnight.

Royal Adelaide Hospital drug researcher Dr David Caldicott, who attended the rave, said green tablets were seized by authorities after the overdoses.

"I've go not idea what's in (the green pill); we really need to find out more," Dr Caldicott told AAP.

"It's even more alarming that one of the females that overdosed only took half a tablet."

SA Ambulance spokesman Lee Francis said medical crews treated the four victims at the scene before they were taken to hospital at various intervals during the night. No-one died as a result of taking the tablets.

Dr Caldicott, convenor of OzTox Collaboration independent research group, works closely with Melbourne-based Enlighten Harm Reduction into designer drug use. Both agencies promote harm reduction techniques among users of the drug ecstasy and fantasy and researchers regularly attend rave parties.

"Parents need to ask themselves: do they want to know what (their) kids are taking or do they want to find out at autopsy," Dr Caldicott said.

"We're not endorsing pill use, but the reality is that unless we find out what they are taking, we'll never save lives."

From his observation at the rave party, Dr Caldicott said there was quite a lot of fantasy being consumed by revellers.

"Fantasy is a very unpleasant drug and there is a real risk of severe injury and death," he said.

In Australia, fantasy is commonly used as a liquid drug that contains Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate (GHB) that is "a very nasty drug and no one is safe from using it".

The rave was held on a 400 hectare property north of Adelaide that is used for off-road racing.

"The rave was noisy with lots of lights, they were all dancing away next to the beach," a spokeswoman from Port Gawler Off Road Hire Park told AAP.

To ensure the safety of revellers, SA Police, Ambulance and the Red Cross met with event organisers to prepare a safety plan.

Mr Francis said considering the number of people who attended the event, the result was "not too bad at all".

"While it's not ideal for them (victims), it turned out as well as could be hoped," he said.

SA Police said tablets were seized, but would not comment on the pills involved.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17457578-5001028,00.html

^ So what were these pills? No logo?

And well yeah, thats just fucking ghey isn't it. I bet fuckwit Pyne doesn't have anything to say for himself either :\

johnboy said:
feel free to let him know how you feel: [email protected]:)

Sorry if this may sound a stupid questions, but what do you think is the best way to email him and say things like what? rather than mindless useless emails when you could swear your head off, because he will just wipe these emails off and block you easily?

I mean useful emails that grabs his attention?

There's some people who probably never written to people like Payne or member of the Parliment/governments/councils/etc? (like me 8) )

cheers again to the enlighten crew.