• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 8/01/08 'Nurofen Plus - the hidden drug scourge'

AcidRain said:
if they aint gonna ban DXM containing cough syrup, theres no way theyre gonna ban nurofen plus.

They may not ban it per se, but I can certainly see that further restrictions may be placed on it's sale.

DoctorShop said:
Sorry for a somewhat newb question but I'm confused.

What are they saying here? It's not clear. Ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcers/liver damage, but I've always been under the impression that codeine/opiates in general do not cause problems for the liver.

I'm pretty sure the kidney damage is due to dehydration,
the liver damage I'm not sure about, but I would guess its possible that some is caused, as with drinking alcohol, etc.

I can just imagine them bringing in a "Codeine Watch" system like they have with pseudo. All this does is make people who are addicted to Codeine go through shadier channels to buy no doubt, stronger opiates (contins, oxy, heroin etc) or quit altogether. How many people do you think will take the latter option?

^ well actually, today I tried poppy seed tea. works out about the same cost per buzz as nurofen plus but the high lasts longer.

lol, problem solvered

Wow... that seems too easy to steal...?
I mean you can make heroin out of codeine.

Why arent pseudo products on the shelf

Poppy seed tea does terrible things to my stomach. Possibly worse than ibuprofen :\

I don't like the look of this story, I already get treated like a criminal at the pharmacist, this is only going to make things worse :\ And I haven't taken codeine recreationally for years!

Spikester said:
So nurofen plus seem to be sold just in the normal aisles now in my local pharmacy, and not over the counter. How long has it been like this? I thought all codiene containing medicins would be OTC?
I have noticed this in my local chemist of late also. Boxes of Panafen Plus with up to 48 tablets. Although the Panadene 15's are still behind the counter.
They are right next to the counter though.

I've been a codeine user / abuser for about 15 years.. It's so easy to obtain OTC. CWE is a life saver literally (for liver) but for a long time I haven't used the CWE so I know my liver is pretty effed!

Now that I'm informed, from now on I can at least reduce the future harm to my liver.

When taking Diclofenac (Voltaren) years ago for a muscle injury I ended up in the ED with a gastric bleed, not pleasant..... If people are taking such large doses of NSAIDS they put themselves at overt risk for potentially life threatening outcomes.

Thank god for BL and it's committment to HR and HM information dissemination.

X Isis

MattPsy said:
Eh, wtf how?
There's no a-Me chain... and the aromatic ring has a hydroxyl group on it.
Doesn't make any sense at all.
Sure you could still do a HI/P reduction on it, but all you'd get is N-methyl-3-OH-PEA, which isn't going to be speedy at all :/ .

exactly, but it produces something that smells, looks and tastes like base.
and you need lots and lots of it to get anything out of it. it keeps you up after a big dose (half a g or so) and produces an initial strong rush but lacks a lot of the meth effects..

whatever they are doing its really shit and they trick IV users into thinking its base and blame their tolerance (because of every day abuse) instead of saying they know the gear is shit. because the rush is very similar to QLD base. the chemical, dirty rush, which normally buildsa up to a nice high over 5 minutes, but it lacks the build up...... sometimes it feels like you're not even on anything, but it can keep you up if you have enough of it.

NickyJ: I get treated like a criminal asking for fucking anti histamines!
Like what I am using them for.

The other day I just straight out said, look Im withdrawaing off valium which my doctor won't give me anymore of, withdrawaing off alcohol and GHB (added that last one in there, only wding off benzos really.. and its a very weak wd from a fair binge over the last 5 months.. just like a normal fidgetyness, no insomnia anymore, shakes and shit are over), and if i dont get some sedating anti histamines to klnock myself out, im gonna have a seizure and some bad things will probably happen, THEY ARE OTC.... "

tried not to make the biggest scene, just was saying it loud enough with my teeth clenched and eyes wide open. i said after that, and NO im not on any other medication. and she gave me the anti histamines i wanted... little miss level 3 thinks she can judge everyone... in a junkie area where a lot of meth labs are.. damn her! ;P

Ok sorry for going off topic but...

I'm also sick of the person serving me at the pharmacy giving me 'the look' when i buy otc tablets for my own personal use. Even when I'm just buying twelve they have this look in their eye, its like "dont attack meeee!".

I always wear nice clothes, most of the time I'm wearing a suit ffs. It's like everyone who buys codeine/pseudo products is instantly labelled if you fall within a certain age group.

Well you know what? Maybe next time if they ask if I've used them before I might just say "I'M GONNA DO A WICKED COLD WATER EXTRACTION BOIIIIII! GET WICKED HIGH AND SHIT!". See what happens then.

Last edited:
I'm very glad to hear that I'm not the only one treated like a criminal.

I think your all just paranoid really. I never get treated like a criminal when I buy it and I buy it quite a lot. I sometimes know more about it then the chick behind the counter.

No I have no stomach problems
Yes il take them with food
Oh yeah of course no more then 6 a day
Nah I take no other medications

thank you

Easy

Haven't read the thread, but for fucks sake. For all the people who like to get high off OTC meds, at least do a C/W extraction or something, it really isn't hard. Primary school chemistry is enough to pull it off.

:\

While i am quietly waiting for sensationalist trash like this to get one of my favorite DOCs withdrawn from the shelves leading me to commit mass acts of rape and murder .....

The one good thing that it has got going for it is that any respectable member of the public, that has ever gone "over the line" and taken 6 tablets at once and barely felt a buzz, would hopefully consider this article a crock of shit, and think less of next time round and round.

i use n+ as intended, only tried CWE to try a larger does once, didn't really do much.
anyway, i'd be fucking pissed off if they tried to restrict it's sale, it's a lifesaver for me for after a night on the booze. few powerades and n+ are always awesome in the morning.

worlds going crazy. hopefully just a media beat up.
whatever happened to darwinism and natural selection etc.

After I bought a 100 bottle of codeine one time, after waiting ages I was pissed off, and since this pharmacy was ages away, and he kept giving me the eye, staring at me longer for every answer i gave to his questions, i asked if they knew where I could get coffee filters and grapefruit juice at this time of night just to piss him off.... He didn't clue on after all his gay flirting.

AcidRain said:
Hi guys,

I am the unnamed man in his early 20's referred to in this article.

I have been "selectively quoted" by this journalist, in order to misrepresent me and support their story's view that codeine use is dangerous.
They left out the fact that I perform cold water extractions on those 72 pills... reducing my ibuprofen intake from 14,400mg to approximately 1000mg, which is the equivalent of about 5 pills straight from the box.

this article is utter bullshit, 90% of the people on that forum are depressed housewives ignorant to CWE and the drugs they are taking...
Id be writing to the editor for misquoting you then onto media watch!

surely this will make pure codeine become available right 8)

It's been mentioned here before that CWE is almost never mentioned on that forum, I don't know what the people running it would think about CWE though I've never seen them edit or remove posts that instruct on how to do it. Most people on those forums would see CWE as "druggy" thing I'd imagine and shy away from it, even though it might save their lives.

I've seen a post containing a CWE be deleted on that website, with the claim by the moderator that it has led to people drastically increasing the number of pills they use daily. 8)

Uh, yeah...but they aren't killing themselves while they're getting their fix. Plus, once you've done a CWE and dosed up, you won't be able to get your codeine thang on for the rest of the day most likely.

After I bought a 100 bottle of codeine one time, after waiting ages I was pissed off, and since this pharmacy was ages away, and he kept giving me the eye, staring at me longer for every answer i gave to his questions, i asked if they knew where I could get coffee filters and grapefruit juice at this time of night just to piss him off.... He didn't clue on after all his gay flirting.

Lol, Splatt I swear, you absolutely kill me sometimes! :)

I have been effectively banned from one pharmacy for going in too often; I'd forgotten how recently I'd been in and the 'lovely pharmacy girl' (lol) dobbed me in to the pharmacist. Who still sold me the box. And then two minutes later, my friend in the SAME SCHOOL UNIFORM went in and bought a box, no questions asked.