Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 8/01/08 'Nurofen Plus - the hidden drug scourge'

static_mind said:
I think your all just paranoid really.

Read some of the replies in this thread and other threads in regard to this topic and I think you'll see it has nothing to do with paranoia. Like I said I tend to be dressed in business attire most of the time and do not frequent the same pharmacies and yet I still get hostile looks from some of the staff. It doesn't happen with every person that serves me, but it does happen.

Like I said I tend to be dressed in business attire most of the time and do not frequent the same pharmacies and yet I still get hostile looks from some of the staff. It doesn't happen with every person that serves me, but it does happen.

Ditto that for me; I always dress very well when I go to a pharmacy. Almost always a suit, not a business suit but expensive, good looking fashion. I guess they think I look like a 70's coke dealer out of Scarface or something (been told that by a friend, lol).

I had a feeling there was a doings a' transpirin' on the codeine front...in perth I've noticed a lot of places aren't selling packs bigger than 24 and I was subject to the spanish inquisition buying a pack the other day. Lucky for me I've been cutting down the last month or so, sick of having to do a CWE every night to help me sleep...

fuzzysun said:
I had a feeling there was a doings a' transpirin' on the codeine front...in perth I've noticed a lot of places aren't selling packs bigger than 24 and I was subject to the spanish inquisition buying a pack the other day. Lucky for me I've been cutting down the last month or so, sick of having to do a CWE every night to help me sleep...

Even though n+ is OTC and you have to ask at the counter for it, you are still allowed to buy it... Im pretty sure that means that unless you are completley freaking out other customers or doing something that would stop you being served anyay, they have to sell it to you....getting spanish inquisition? no problem, you dont even have to answer.

at least thats what im *fairly* sure of... anyone know a little more about the restrictions and/or general laws regarding OTC sales?

they dont have to sell panadol to you if they think you're gonna commit suicide.
or for any reason, a shop of any kind has a house policy of refusing entry to any patron they want, and selling something to them or not.

Splatt said:
they dont have to sell panadol to you if they think you're gonna commit suicide.
or for any reason, a shop of any kind has a house policy of refusing entry to any patron they want, and selling something to them or not.

yeah, i've been refused codeine before. i told the pharmacist that if he's not 100% happy selling me it, that's fine, i'll go somewhere else. he did the right thing, i was back in there buying large amounts of N+, and looking not so health (on account of glandular fever, for which codeine was a savior!).

Numeron said:
Even though n+ is OTC and you have to ask at the counter for it, you are still allowed to buy it... Im pretty sure that means that unless you are completley freaking out other customers or doing something that would stop you being served anyay, they have to sell it to you....getting spanish inquisition? no problem, you dont even have to answer.

at least thats what im *fairly* sure of... anyone know a little more about the restrictions and/or general laws regarding OTC sales?

I think thats more or less true with the 24 packs as they are only S2, but 48 packs and over are S3 Pharmacist Only Medicines which technically require counselling from the p'cist on the use of the product and why its being used etc etc.

in north NSW recently on a trip i was able to buy a 100 bottle of codeine 10mg withouit anything but being asked "have you had these before" ?
no labels no computer stuff, no ID

I've bought large amounts of Chemist's Own online before, shipped to Brisbane from Sydney with no questions asked or anything.

Sweet :)

I'm currently in Canada and doctors are real tight about giving out perscriptions of products that have similar amounts of codeine in them as neurofen plus, but they keep all their psudo products infront of the counter and they don't look twice when you buy a 24 pack... go figure.

Lol, well I've never tried to by pseudo over here...but I figure if you get the Inquesition over Nurofen they are going to get right on top of you if you try to buy Cold & Flu Medicine...

Which is a shame too, cause phenyleprine does shit for me when I have a congested nose :(

its not supposed to its marketing crap.
i've ingested a few points worth before and it didnt do anything at all, not even clear my nose, and the chemist dose is 5mg.

i thought just because it was a "weak pseudo" to take that much of a 98% pure powder... and because i saw a google ad for a weight loss product that contained 50-100mg of the chemical... but then i saw all tablets with phenylephrine was 5mg dose. so even though i wasn't feeling anything (btw i snorted the powder) bad i still rang poison control and told them what i did. they asked if my heart rate was out of control or i felt like i had high blood pressure and a few other questions... they were not judgemental, although they did ask what area i lived in. and if there were people at home to keep an eye on me if anything happened, but said do not call 000 or a ambulance unless you feel ill or get some bad effects...

At the local family owned chemist they only sell packets of 24 n+ and it's behind the counter and she asks all sorts of questions before she sells it to you (that's the actual chemist - not just some checkout chick).

Go into the big chain pharmacy though and the 24 packs are on the shelves, and they barely even question you about a 72 pack. I'm a methadone patient and they even let me buy a 72 pack of n+ once ''for my mum'' lol

I try to avoid the small, 'mom and pop' pharmacies and favour the large chains for that very reason. Sometimes it's handy to be served by a blase teenage ;)

Anyone finding that the pharmacies are trying to push the 12-packs of Nurofen + now, as opposed to the 24? It's happened to me a couple of times now, a real pain in the ass when I'm trying to only have to go to a couple of pharmacies to get a good dose.

I got put through the wringer today by one of those lovely pharmacy gals (;)), who for some reason kept emphasizing how dangerous it was to mix Nurofen + with anti-depressants and blood pressure meds (neither of which I'm on).

Damn, I had to bite my tongue so I wouldn't say something stupid, was pretty tempted to try Splatt's line about the coffee filters and grapefruit juice :)

I rely on Neurofen plus to get through my Saturday golf game (bad back). When I need to, I buy it from the pharmacy close to the golf club, on my way there on Sat morning. I never get odd looks (I'm 47, dressed in golf gear).

They know me so they don't give me the "have you had these before?" but often remind me to have them with food. This always amuses me as I generally have a couple with a beer before I tee off.

I would be appalled by restrictions on the availability of N+ as it's known as a wonder drug among golfers with bad backs - much better than some prescription-only anti-inflammatries.

BTW, the pricing is weird on this product. It's much cheaper in the 72 pack version.

^ Lol, lucky you, I never get nice pharmacy people!

I've actually been thinking of complaining to a manager next time someone is rude to me when I'm trying to buy N+ or something. They question me like I'm a terrorist, go on about how I shouldn't be taking it if I'm on other meds (even after I've repeatedly said I don't take any other meds), and then once I've paid don't even say 'thank you' or 'bye'; they just glare me out the door or ignore me!