• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun [31/08/2004] - Greens policy backs illegal drugs

pilltastic: drugs are great mkay.......

So many boards I read have go this argument going on at the moment. Its amazing some the perspectives that come out of the wood work. Its also amazing how many believe the "policies" that the herald scum claim are the greens. If you think that the sun is an unbiased paper with a credibal political comentary then you so stupid you probably shouldn't be allowed near a voting booth. Anyway bring on the politics and amusing arguments!

To the guy who asked about how voting works...

Preferential voting works like this:

You vote 1, 2, 3, whatever. Your vote will go to whoever you voted 1. If that person doesn't get in, your vote goes to 2, and so on.

So for example if you voted greens 1 and labor 2, then if the greens didn't get in, labor would get your vote if it needs it to get in.

But your preferences go to who *you* want them to go to. Latham won't get an automatic preferential vote if you vote green. Preference deals are primarily about what goes on the "how to vote" cards that parties hand out, so when the Greens say that they are directing their preferences towards Labor, it just means that they are encouraging people to put Labor 2. Your number 2 vote goes to whoever *you* want it to go to, not whoever the party you voted 1 for wants it to go to.

satricion said:

You vote 1, 2, 3, whatever. Your vote will go to whoever you voted 1. If that person doesn't get in, your vote goes to 2, and so on.

So for example if you voted greens 1 and labor 2, then if the greens didn't get in, labor would get your vote if it needs it to get in.

But your preferences go to who *you* want them to go to. Latham won't get an automatic preferential vote if you vote green. Preference deals are primarily about what goes on the "how to vote" cards that parties hand out, so when the Greens say that they are directing their preferences towards Labor, it just means that they are encouraging people to put Labor 2. Your number 2 vote goes to whoever *you* want it to go to, not whoever the party you voted 1 for wants it to go to.

Ah, excellent - thanks for that!

People againts the greens, you must understand what your vote would do. Dont vote for them expecting them to win power! That wont happen for a long time. But vote for them, to help them grow and become more knowledgable in the future. The more votes they get, the more research they will do on these so called "radical agendas" for the next election and so forth. This country needs change. It may take 8 - 28 years. But one thing is for sure, we must get the ball rolling now. We must vote greens. The party must stay afloat and grow. If this doesnt happen, we are all eventually doomed.

i think it would be healthy to have some greens in the senate to have get the alternative view out there.

Mongman: It may be amusing for those who have done further research to note that people believe the things they read in the paper. The sad fact of the matter is that people actually *have* to question the things that are being reported on.

We're about to partake in a so called "democratic" election, yet the media that we all rely on to give us the information that we need to make an informed decision about who we want to represent our country and organise our way of life, uses all their influential power to make their mates look good and everyone else look incompetent. Its unfortunate that in order to make a decision based on policy, without the bias, a lot of leg work needs to be done. Most people wont make that effort and instead will go to the places they think they can trust for information.. the newspaper, the tv, the radio. All of which seem to have their own agendas.

phase_dancer is right tho. At least out of this comes a good platform for the issues to be discussed. Make the Greens sound "kooky" and then Bob Brown gets as much airtime as he needs to discuss his real policies.

stace.

At least out of this comes a good platform for the issues to be discussed. Make the Greens sound "kooky" and then Bob Brown gets as much airtime as he needs to discuss his real policies.

I agree and I do with most of your views.

You never know how important your vote will be. If labour are that desperate to get into office dont be suprised if they go into a coalition government if they dont have a majority. Will it happen? probably not but politics is a strange world

Really hate un-australian

really hate needledick John Howard not really too keen on latham either. Solution vote green i don't care how loopy some of their policies are, a green in the senate with the balance of power would ensure whoever won the election would have to implement some of their proposals for the environment and drug reform both of which i support!

Cant handle another 4 years of that lying little needledick!

stacyrox: Your on the ball, I should not laugh about others lack of understanding. For a trully democratic ellection all voters should know the truth, and currently it seems many are deluded by the media's depictions which is very unfortunate. In short I agree this you totaly.

Tabernacle: If Howard gets back in I think that there will be bloody riots before the next federal election. I know many people who are at the point of bitch slaping the little dumb fuck.

New faces and new ideas are what Australia's stagnant political scene realy needs! At least the greens are try to do this. All the liberals can do is hide behind a rapidly aging old man who wants to hold onto power just the litle bit longer.

I just wanted to add a bit of a political footnote to some already veru good points.

IMO the more power minor parties have the more democratic our system becomes.

A vote for Bob Brown and the Green's isn't going to see the Green's in power. Bob Brown will never be PM (unless he changes party).

What it is does is restore some balance. And for those who asked before about where Green preferences would be going they haven't yet been announced but you can bet 90+% of them will be going to Labour.

[Edit] Typo

Last edited:
Pilltastic before you continue to diss Bob Brown, who is an educated General Practicioner (that means he has a university degree and can actually diagnose illness) you should learn to spell, form a logical argument, and back it up with some evidence/reasons that are more than your current '5 year old homosexual whale savin' tree hugging' claims. ChoppeR

satricion said:

if you don't fill in the preferences is your vote still valid?

also, I agree with Doodle, it's not so much about getting minority parties in power, it's getting them places in parliment to give an alternate viewpoint besides liberal/labour

I believe that your vote is invalid unless you totaly complete the form.

Wow, theres an election coming. When did we all get so political ;)

Political is good! Very pleased to see such a discussion happening here. Good to see people able to defend their voting choices with sound logic, rather than tired rhetoric and good to see the Greens growing politically to the point where they have a more complete suite of policies and can address more than just environmental issues in the senate.

:)w00t!

As a few others have said I too feel there is some merit to the green's drug policy. However due to some rather radical views in other areas the greens forming government would be diabolical but this is not something we need to worry about, it is almost statistically impossilble for the greens to form government. It is however not impossible for the greens to end up holding the balance of power in the senate. If this is a close election between the coalition and labour then as most likely will be the case it is also highly likely the greens will end up holding the balance of power due to the democrats having a shit aweful time at the moment and generally being regarded as incompetent. This means that if the greens hold the balance of power any contentious legislation that government tries to pass will have to be agreed upon by the greens and therefore bob brown becomes quite powerful.
So yeah I agree to some extent with brownies drug policy but i couldn't imagine anything more rediculous than his tax reforms and policies pertaining to economic issues (ie to cut the defecit we should stop/reduce foreign trade???? insane) and wanting to drop our population by 2 million and decrease infrastructure back to 1995 levels. This is not prgressive, this is madness. How does one decrease a nations population by 2 million.....without employing genocide?!

Just my thoughts

Beech out

PS I probs vote for little johnny as I feel responsible economic management is most important of all issues and when it comes to economics labour aren't too flash and Liberal has a fairly good track record.