News: 20.08.09 - 'Hillbilly heroin' black market booming

modoq

Bluelighter
r420909_1999863.jpg

'Hillbilly heroin' black market booming

By Steve Cannane for Lateline

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:45am AEST
Updated 10 hours 32 minutes ago

A strong black market for oxycodone has developed in Australia, and some experts are concerned that Australia could be trending towards US consumption levels, where deaths from oxycodone now outweigh deaths from both heroin and cocaine.

Oxycodone, known also by the brand name OxyContin or the American term 'hillbilly heroin', is prescribed for chronic pain.

It is meant to be taken orally, but since 2001 there has been a heroin shortage in Australia, and many of those who would previously use heroin now shoot up pharmaceutical opioids.

Justin, an OxyContin user, says he uses the drug as a replacement for heroin.

"Heroin is often quite expensive and oxies are generally cheaper, and you also know exactly how much you're getting," he said.

In 2008, prescription opiates outstripped heroin as the drug of choice for those using the Medically Supervised Injecting Centre in Sydney.

But the illicit use of oxycodone is not confined to the big cities.

Painkillers are more likely to be injected in rural and remote areas where heroin is even more scarce.

Martin Alster from the Wagga Wagga Community Drug Action Team, says the people who run the opioid treatment program in Wagga have not treated a principal heroin user for four to five years.

"Everybody they've been seeing over the last few years have been using pharmaceutical opioids and that's usually OxyContin," he said.

Police are also noticing these trends in rural and remote areas.

Earlier this year, a 47-year-old woman from Young, in southern NSW, was sent to jail for selling oxycodone on the black market.

Police say she was prescribed over 10,000 tablets of various drugs in just 12 months, and over 2,500 of those were oxycodone.

"The investigation was significant in that it was the first time in NSW that someone had been charged with the ongoing supply of a prescription drug," a police spokesman said.

'Easy to source'

The woman in question was 'doctor shopping' - getting prescriptions from a variety of doctors in and around Young.

She would pay around $1 a tablet at her local chemist and then onsell them for around $30 dollars each.

Graham, a former oxycodone dealer, used to make a living through doctor shopping in regional areas.

"On a good week I could make up to $5,000, $6,000 a week from OxyContin," he said.

"It was quite easy for me to walk into six doctors' surgeries in any given day and walk out of six doctors' surgeries," he said.

"I did it fraudulently. I'd write my own letters stating that I had an injury and needed OxyContin.

"I'd give that letter to the doctor and the doctor would give me a script. It was very easy."

Graham found that users preferred oxycodone to heroin.

"I tried to go back to selling heroin and people just did not want to buy it ... they preferred to buy oxy over heroin," he said.

"I couldn't sell the heroin because people knew what they were buying with OxyContin."

But doctor shopping is not the only source for the black market in oxycodone.

Some pensioners who have been prescribed oxycodone for chronic pain are selling it on the side - a practice known in some circles as 'fossil farming'.

OxyContin user Justin says he has noticed pensioners supplying the drug.

"For the pensioners, it was an opportunity for them to make some beer money, or pay the electricity bill, and for the users, on the other hand, it was a guaranteed supply of the drug at a certain time," he said.

Prescription opiates have also leaked onto the black market through the hospital system.

Last year there was 167 reported cases of drugs being lost or stolen from NSW Hospitals. At least 120 of these involved opiates like oxycodone.

Dangers and solutions

While illicit users of oxycodone claim it is safer than heroin, and stops them committing crime to feed their habits, it is not without its dangers.

Those who inject oxycodone without using filters risk damaging their arteries and losing limbs.

Steve, as he wants to be known, had his arm amputated after he had been injecting prescription drugs.

"I got my radial artery one day and injected it in there, and because there was chalk and gunk in it from the tablets, it blocked all the capillary veins in my hand and my hand eventually died and had to be amputated," Steve said.

Steve is a qualified boilermaker/welder. But without the use of both his arms, he cannot work in his old trade.

"It's affected me to the extent that I have nightmares and dreams every night about working again as a boilermaker/welder ... that's every night I have a dream I'm back at work," he said.

"And now I've got my life back together I could be quite suitable to go back to work, its just I can't because of my stupid behaviour in the past - it's going to stay with me forever."

In Tasmania, where Steve lives, oxycodone use is 10 per cent above the national average.

The use or misuse of opioids has been identified as a factor in 61 deaths there in the last two years.

Mr Alster says there are solutions, such as databases that can track the daily prescribing rates of these drugs as well as providing better treatment options.

"Doctors need more support, both with dealing and addiction," he said.

"So drug and alcohol services, I believe, need to be more along the lines of the UK model, where they've been moved into general practice to support doctors.

"But also, doctors need good training and guidelines around dealing with non-malignant pain."

But there is a fear that any crackdown on the black market use of oxycodone could lead to a backlash against those who need it for chronic pain.

ABC News

Lateline transcript

booming??

well where the fuck are they then lol

"""Graham, a former oxycodone dealer, used to make a living through doctor shopping in regional areas.

"On a good week I could make up to $5,000, $6,000 a week from OxyContin," he said."""

^^^^ thats a fukload of doctors visits

^ I wonder if being assigned to these articles is the journalistic equivelant of being picked last for the rugby team?

'John, get out to that collapsed bridge and do a piece, Mary, go interview the politician who was found molesting kids, oh and, uh, yeah, Michael, uhm, go scour the internet for a new drug story to scare people with or something, I don't know we just need to fill a page or so'

"I did it fraudulently. I'd write my own letters stating that I had an injury and needed OxyContin.

"I'd give that letter to the doctor and the doctor would give me a script. It was very easy."

Bull fucking shit.

If it was a half smart doctor they would tell straight away that the letter hasn't come from another doctor or would at least ring the number attached to the letter as most doctors stamp letters they write!

Sad day though I've just started to like my OC's and now they are going to become ever harder to get...

booming??

well where the fuck are they then lol

"""Graham, a former oxycodone dealer, used to make a living through doctor shopping in regional areas.

"On a good week I could make up to $5,000, $6,000 a week from OxyContin," he said."""

^^^^ thats a fukload of doctors visits

Ahahahaha thats what i was just thinking. Where the fuk are they?

i really hate how they call oxy's hilllbilly herion, nothing cheap, sketchy aout it. its like hey government, cheers for the nice Pure, perfectly pressed, pills of a clean high quality nature.

and i mean pure as in apart from binder, you know that its gonna be some top grade medical shiiite, instead of hey lets buy a bag of white.brown powder and smash it in my vien

i really hate how they call oxy's hilllbilly herion, nothing cheap, sketchy aout it. its like hey government, cheers for the nice Pure, perfectly pressed, pills of a clean high quality nature.

and i mean pure as in apart from binder, you know that its gonna be some top grade medical shiiite, instead of hey lets buy a bag of white.brown powder and smash it in my vien

THIS.

Besides "Hillbillys" can't afford this shit trust me.

im not having any problem scoring oxy... cant see one in the forseeable future either.

Any the funniest comment of the week goes to...

^ I wonder if being assigned to these articles is the journalistic equivelant of being picked last for the rugby team?

'John, get out to that collapsed bridge and do a piece, Mary, go interview the politician who was found molesting kids, oh and, uh, yeah, Michael, uhm, go scour the internet for a new drug story to scare people with or something, I don't know we just need to fill a page or so'

:p

Erm she must have known quite a few junkies to get away with selling them for $30 per pill?!

Without going into specifics, around here these retail from 'free' to 'fuck all per' pill

I call bullshit on this article too. Last December it took me a fractured bone, several sutures, and 4 hours in the ER before I was given ONE SINLGE 5MG ENDONE!!!! This was after I had complained that the iburpofen tablet they had given me was doing jack-diddly-o-squat and that single oxy tablet had been signed for by the doctor and pharmacist.

I have a feeling any doctor worth his salt would think twice about prescribing any abusable pain killer now, maybe this article could have been accurate a decade ago but I just don't see doctors prescribing someone "over 10,000 tablets of various drugs in just 12 months, and over 2,500 of those were oxycodone" unless they had a snapped spine or some such?

I have a feeling any doctor worth his salt would think twice about prescribing any abusable pain killer now, maybe this article could have been accurate a decade ago but I just don't see doctors prescribing someone "over 10,000 tablets of various drugs in just 12 months, and over 2,500 of those were oxycodone" unless they had a snapped spine or some such?

I don't know man, a family friend had shingles not long ago and was getting scripts for oxy, obviously they needed it for the pain but when it was all cleared up and they didn't really need it anymore the Doc, without hesitation, wrote them a script for 60 more oxys, then told them if you don't end up taking them just go down to your local pub and get rid of them.

You would be surprised how many of the things are floating around this country.

Last edited:
Wow that would be much better. A friend of mine got a box of "Tegretol CR 200" for his Shingles pain. Pretty sure they are useless recreationally.

I don't know man, a family friend had shingles not long ago and was getting scripts for oxy, obviously they needed it for the pain but when it was all cleared up and they didn't really need it anymore the Doc, without hesitation, wrote them a script for 60 more oxys, then told them if you don't end up taking them just go down to your local pub and get rid of them.

You would be surprised how many of the things are floating around this country.

Honestly, I find it fairly hard to believe he said that in as many words. Unless he's not particularly attached to his medical license.

Wow that would be much better. A friend of mine got a box of "Tegretol CR 200" for his Shingles pain. Pretty sure they are useless recreationally.

Yeah he had really bad shingles, he said the oxys didn't help all that much anyway, even though he was taking up to 10 a day.

Honestly, I find it fairly hard to believe he said that in as many words. Unless he's not particularly attached to his medical license.

Yeah i was surprised too, I think when a doctor has been dealing with a patient who is a bit older for a few years they tend to be more relaxed and trusting.

Oh and he said it a bit more blunt than that.