Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 13.6.09 - 'Brilliant' driver on drugs mowed down two teens

kingpin007

Bluelighter
'Brilliant' driver on drugs mowed down two teens

Tristan Swanwick

June 12, 2009 03:46pm

A GOLD Coast motorist who was unlicensed and affected by a cocktail of drugs and alcohol when she struck and killed two teenage pedestrians told police her driving had been "brilliant", a court heard.
Tania Winifred Clark, 36, was sentenced to 10 years jail and disqualified from driving for life for the manslaughter of popular Southport High students Jye Strong and Nathan Sprecak, 16 and 15, in February last year.

The teenagers were mowed down on a footpath as they emerged from a corner store on Kumbari Avenue in Labrador.

Jye died instantly and Nathan died three days later in hospital.

The court heard the New Zealand-born woman drove 30 metres along the footpath in attempt to overtake a car on the single-lane road.

Prosecutor Angus Edwards said she had been rushing to make appointments with her parole officer and at centrelink and was worried she would lose her welfare benefits.

Clark was affected by alcohol, cannabis and at least six different prescription drugs at the time of the crash, the court was told.

She later blamed the boys for the tragedy, telling police they had stepped out onto the road in front of her.

Justice Glenn Martin told Clark she had been a “pharmacological nightmare” when she hit the two boys.

“You brought their lives to an end but on the day you blamed them,” he said.

“You say you’re sorry but your actions since then belie that.”

He sentenced her to 10 years jail and declared her a serious violent offender, which means she must serve at least 8 years before she is eligible for parole.

He disqualified her from obtaining or holding a drivers license for life.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25625618-3102,00.html

Feel pretty bad for the kids but gotta laugh at her.
What an idiot.

They stepped out onto the road in front of her when she was on the footpath?
I've always wanted to drive like that, it just isn't worth the risk of doing what she did.

Yeah I remember that, it happend a few km from my house. In the days after I saw their friends, probably 16yo at the shopping centre. They were raising money for the families to help them pay for funeral costs and what not. I gave them some cash and have to say I commend their loyality. Kinda hits closer to home when you see others in the community banding togther to help each other out.

At least six different prescription drugs? So, could have been a couple of antibiotics, the pill, maybe an antidepressant or two and a dexie.

I mean, she could have been loaded up on six different benzos, but to my eyes, they should be reinforcing that she was under the influence of ALCOHOL, rather then being RAR RAR DRUGS EVIL - I mean, we don't know the whole story, and cannabis certainly wouldn't have helped matters, but driving stoned is a lot less dangerous then driving drunk IMO.

Driving under the influence of anything is pretty unforgivable. Weed, booze, whatever, you're still impairing your judgement and putting lives at risk.

They stepped out onto the road in front of her when she was on the footpath?

They prob just walked out of the shop totally unaware she was on the footpath.

She sounds like a total idiot, and rushing to meet her parle officer and centrelink? That just tops it off really :|

driving under the influence of anything is pretty unforgivable. Weed, booze, whatever, you're still impairing your judgement and putting lives at risk.

QFT

There is no excuse for driving whilst impaired........

the woman was running late for appointments with centrelink and her unemployment mob or somesuch...

she deserves to be locked the fuck up. even her husband knew how much of a public liability she was.

sad that two youngsters had their lives robbed in such a ghastly fashion :(

She deserves more than she got imho! The law just pisses me off so much, she would of got twice as much jail if she was importing commercial quantities of drugs than she does for driving on them and killing two teenagers, what the fuck.

The law makers really need to re prioritize who the real criminals are and start handing out proper sentences to all these murderers, rapists, kiddy touchers and culpable drivers, the current sentences they recieve are a joke.

There is no excuse for driving whilst impaired........

Exactly.

Why would she, allegedly, be drunk, stoned and wasted on the way to see her parole officer or Centrelink? Centrelink maybe you could get away with but the parole officer?

A 43-year-old Bendigo man will face charges of driving under the influence of drugs after being involved in two accidents on Friday night.

Police say the man's car collided with one vehicle in North Bendigo about 10:00pm AEST and a short time later ran into the rear of another vehicle in Holdsworth Road.

The man has also been charged with driving while disqualified.

No one was hurt.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/15/2598104.htm?site=centralvic

small artical so no point making new thread , seems a few people are getting done for being on drugs and driving arrests lately ..

Well when you run over two kids or hit two cars in a small space of time whilst driving high, your asking to get caught.