• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

new years healthy living goals!

What sequence do you do for Ashtanga??? I had worked up through second series and was trying some of the very difficult third series poses a few years ago. It is a journey! Is that older guy in mysore still alive or has he passed? His son is quite good. I had always planned a trip there but didnt go (and then I drifted out of ashtanga and back into climbing).

haven't done beyond the first sequence, only been getting heavily into it the past 8 months, after testing the waters for a month from a book the summer before - my current teacher is teaching me Mysore style, although I flick between 2 teachers.

ALso I been pretty broke over the past year, so have only had about 10 classes since march.

Haven't been to mysore either - will tell you when I go! :)

Fucking amazing stuff though - truly is so amazing for mind, body & spirit -- really notice how offbalance you can get when you stop for a few weeks.

How long had you been doing it dude??

Quit the casual smoking (shouldn't be too hard to do)

Increase from 145 to 165 over the next year. This one will be pretty tough.

Learn a martial art. I have a bunch of buddies who do Jiu-Jitsu so I might give that a shot, something I've always wanted to do.

Quit the casual smoking (shouldn't be too hard to do)

Increase from 145 to 165 over the next year. This one will be pretty tough.

Learn a martial art. I have a bunch of buddies who do Jiu-Jitsu so I might give that a shot, something I've always wanted to do.

You can do it man. I went from 145 to 165# in four months last year with dedication. Right now I'm at 154 and trying to get up to 170 and keep it there.

Other resolutions include not drinking more than 2 pints of beer in any one day, preferably less than once a month, and avoiding HFCS. I'd also like to be part of a loving romantic relationship, however that's been a resolution of mine for years. No such luck yet.

n3o, I'm glad to hear you're going to give up drinking this year! The replacements you have lined up far outweigh keeping alcohol in your life. :)
MynameisnotDeja said:
Good for you! It is an absolutely worthless drug that I wouldnt wish on anyone. Quitting drinking was the best thing I ever did. It cleans your life out of so much negativity. Health problems, fake "friends" (when I quit drinking 99% of all the people I knew basically vanished from my life because they only know how to socialize when there is alcohol involved-and I was glad to have them gone), hangovers, losing control.... it's just all so shitty. Get it out of your life and evolve your life. :)
Thank you both, lovely ladies :) <3

Breecamb said:
*do a 1/2 iron man triathlon by the end of this year
*feel confident enough in sparring in order to try a little girly fight (with a gentle competitor please)
Whoa good for you hun!! Go for it! <3

Mine are:

To sleep earlier (work smarter and cut down on partying)
To wake up early and do my yoga routine
To garden more
To cook more
And to increase my compassion as a person

Happy 2011

^i don't think that last one is possible for you <3

i target one thing: i want to maintain my recent health gains while balancing my upcoming parental responsibilities and the million other things i have to do as well these days.

Improve my sleeping habits and be in bed by 10pm getting up at 6:30am

Continue making strength gains and I'll admit I'd like some size to go with that for the sake of vanity

I'm still wondering a bit about martial arts goals

Find a nice girl to have a relationship with (all sorts of health benefits)

Improve my nutrition (toughest by far for me)

Get it out of your life and evolve your life. :)

This is wise and it's my goal. I cut out the rest of the post because the "it" can describe a lot of things, not just booze.
Breathe easily and take care of my lungs (i have asthma) was the first resolution I came up with as soon as I woke up on new years day.
Also to escape from the fictional self-image that keeps me down in the muck.

2010 was the year of becoming mindful of the healthier choice. I've eaten much healthier and become more interested in nutrition and positive lifestyles. I'd like to take it a step further and:

--workout regularly!!
--sleep less / become more productive
--maintain that positive attitude!
--take psychedelics sparingly
--smoke less weed / rarely use synthetics
--NO MDxx!!!
--eat healthier throughout the day
--become more knowledgeable on food / nutrition / plants
--keep doing well in school
--eliminate neurotic social inhibitions by being true to myself (say what I mean / say what I feel)

to a good year!

This is an awesome thread. :)

Improve my sleeping habits and be in bed by 10pm getting up at 6:30am

Ah, good one. I am up at 630 now after being up an hour and a half. It was actually far easier to get up at 5 this morning to go back to work compared to 10am-noon when I had been getting up while on vacation this past month. I'll be tired tonight but it's so worth it to re-set that cycle. I'm going to try and stick to it on my off days (maybe sleep in until 9 but not noon) and when I take time off working in the future.

I've re-defined some of my goals...

-Build endurance by walking/running the driveway (by "driveway" I mean more of a slippery sloped dirt/rock path that we are sometimes able to use as a driveway in good weather, in bad weather it just becomes a waterfall-but it's pretty steep) at least 5 days a week until I can reach my goal of being able to walk down it and RUN (full strength) back up it at least 5 times. When I can do this I will feel sure I will have the endurance needed to survive the zombie apocolypse or out-run a psycho killer. :D Seriously, imagine how stupid one would feel as they were being chopped in two by a chainsaw maniac just because they ran out of breath at a quarter mile? lol ;)

-Get my body to have more effective sleep. I want deep, healing sleep that does more for me in less of an amount of time. I love sleep and will always try and set aside plenty of time for it, but basically what I want is to get my body so clean and full of energy that the sleep I do get is deeper, AND I want to get over my fear of not getting enough sleep. I've felt imprisoned by time (a big source of my anxiety attacks) for a long while now and I hate it. I want to KNOW that my body is strong and clean enough that I will survive if I only get a few hours sleep one night. I was so ill for so long and so weak that I was mentally trained to fear lack of sleep, as I'd be unable to function on less than 6 hours. And would get sick very easily if my immune system was stressed like that.

I know of a lot of people who, after doing intense diet changes *raw food*, fasts and detoxes now claim that they need far less sleep than before. My body is getting cleaner and stronger feeling by the minute thanks to my diet changes so I have hope this can happen. I also want a much clearer head and very intense, visual dreams and hopefully get more control over lucid dreaming.

-I want to get my period/cycle aligned perfectly with the moon. The cleaner/less stressed I am the more this happens. It's a good tracker for my health. Plus I want to know when my period will arrive and be able to prepare. <-- goes with- I also want to get my body so clean and eat enough alkaline/anti inflammatory stuff that I no longer get any cramps.

-I don't want to let any fear or negativity control my life anymore. As mentioned above I have a huge fear/anxiety attack trigger with TIME. Always feeling like I'm running out of it. Get home from work, late on making dinner... late on finishing dinner, late to bed. Fear not getting enough sleep. Stress makes sleep harder, wake up early the next morning without enough sleep, and immediately fear time again. Going to be late for work. Tired.

^I just can't fucking do it anymore. I refuse to be time's bitch. This is MY life and I am taking back my independence. Every single second of MY life belongs to me.

- To finally have enough faith in myself to go full force with what I want to do for my career. I want to write and it means everything to me. I put a huge amount of my time and effort into my work in the past but at some point, amidst all this depression/anxiety stuff and a million other life problems I stupidly let get in the way, I fell into writers block and stopped for awhile. The longer I stopped pursuing my dream, the more depressed I became. I've learned that as a writer and an artist, I MUST create. I start to rot and die if I don't.

So in 2011, I vow to myself and the world to tell everything that does not matter to fuck off, and focus all of my energy on the things that do matter; my career, my body/mind/spirit, and my cultivating the love I share with the most special people in my life.

goals for 2011 that are healthy, well I would like to lose a bit of weight, I realise that incurs such stuff like exercising, and eating more responsible, which I think I might try harder with.
Stop smoking, tried many a time, will try harder.
Reduce my smoke and drink consumption, once again have tried, but must try harder.

OK after rereading what I wrote my goal for 2011 is try harder at everything. happy new year everyone :)

80 kg @ 12% bf. Currently 80 kg @ ~15%.

Should be manageble in a year :) (esp. considering my use of ephedrine)

My main health goals are to lose weight and take better care of my heart, which involve the following:

--Limiting mephedrone/methylone use to every other month, using only low-dose propylhexedrine in between. (Can't function without low doses of stims.)

--Cardio 3x per week, strength training 2x per week and yoga 2x per week. Up from 0 days a week in 2010 :)

--Take heart-healthy supplements daily like resveratrol, ubiquinol, fish oil, calcium/magnesium, ginger and green tea.

--Cut back on salt and trans/saturated fat.

--Meditate daily in the mornings and before bed and make time for other relaxing/spiritual practices like Tarot cards, journaling, etc.

Proud to say I'm doing 100% so far! Can't stop eating due to the serotonin crash from all the serotonergic droogs I had last month + PMS, but otherwise I'm right on track. Also went back on Prozac for a while to ensure I don't have any empathogen relapses and plan to do this every "off-month" as a way to minimize post-roll depression and the urge to use again.

Wishing everyone a healthy 2011!

I'd just like to warn anyone about to revamp their diet to make it more healthy: Don't just start consuming too many nuts and berries and things with seeds suddenly if that wasn't already a big part of your diet.
A sudden intake of all of these "high residue" foods can cause lots of wear and tear on one's colon and intestinal lining and cause rectal bleeding and several other severe health concerns.

Last year I made a similar grandiose resolution to many of those found in here and I started eating any health food I could get my hands on indiscriminately, without doing much research. Then, much to my surprise, I noticed blood in my stool in early February and it only cleared up in early Sebtember, 7 months of hell later. It set me back on my work-out goals, my sobriety goals, my education and work goals, everything. It was the shittiest year ever just because I started the year off with similar resolutions as all of these and I actually stuck to it to a fault. My sudden increase in nuts, seeds, and other such foods tore many ulcers in my colon and it ruined my entire life top to bottom, from my friends to my relationships to my motivation and even caused me to become suicidal for the first time in my life because I was fucking bleeding out my ass constantly all day and night and the meds they had me on fucked up my personality.
Don't just eat "super foods" just because you hear good things about them. The most important thing about diet is calorie intake vs energy output. Anything else is speculation at this point. Don't just eat more health foods than you need and think you are fortifying yourself to become a super human or something.
There are a few dietary guidelines that make sense like vitamins found in fruits or vegetables are much more effective than those same vitamins found in a pill form.
Trans fat is absolutely terrible for you.
Omega 3 fatty acids seem to be really good for you in many areas.
But a lot of the health claims and practices can actually be detrimental if taken too far, or without a healthy dose of skepticism and common sense. Many successful athletes eat loads of buttermilk pancakes and other seemingly empty calories, but they do well because they are giving their body enough energy to function to the highest level.
People who take multi-vitamins are often found to be healthier than those who don't, but the actual multi-vitamin is not proven to be the cause of this, rather it's because people who take multi-vitamins are also people who take care of their health in every other area of their life so they are in fact healthier than the rest of the population.
The moral of this story is don't take multivitamins, but be the type of person who would take multi-vitamins.
I think smaller resolutions that you can build off of are much more effective than large sweeping resolutions that you are bound to slip up on.

Last edited:
Sucks that happened man, you really gotta change your diet slowly - like converting your diesel to use waste cooking oil - it takes a few months of introducing a new thing here and there.

Thanks for that - pretty good anecdotal post with a warning for all :)

I'd just like to warn anyone about to revamp their diet to make it more healthy: Don't just start consuming too many nuts and berries and things with seeds suddenly if that wasn't already a big part of your diet.
A sudden intake of all of these "high residue" foods can cause lots of wear and tear on one's colon and intestinal lining and cause rectal bleeding and several other severe health concerns.

Last year I made a similar grandiose resolution to many of those found in here and I started eating any health food I could get my hands on indiscriminately, without doing much research. Then, much to my surprise, I noticed blood in my stool in early February and it only cleared up in early Sebtember, 7 months of hell later. It set me back on my work-out goals, my sobriety goals, my education and work goals, everything. It was the shittiest year ever just because I started the year off with similar resolutions as all of these and I actually stuck to it to a fault. My sudden increase in nuts, seeds, and other such foods tore many ulcers in my colon and it ruined my entire life top to bottom, from my friends to my relationships to my motivation and even caused me to become suicidal for the first time in my life because I was fucking bleeding out my ass constantly all day and night and the meds they had me on fucked up my personality.
Don't just eat "super foods" just because you hear good things about them. The most important thing about diet is calorie intake vs energy output. Anything else is speculation at this point. Don't just eat more health foods than you need and think you are fortifying yourself to become a super human or something.
There are a few dietary guidelines that make sense like vitamins found in fruits or vegetables are much more effective than those same vitamins found in a pill form.
Trans fat is absolutely terrible for you.
Omega 3 fatty acids seem to be really good for you in many areas.
But a lot of the health claims and practices can actually be detrimental if taken too far, or without a healthy dose of skepticism and common sense. Many successful athletes eat loads of buttermilk pancakes and other seemingly empty calories, but they do well because they are giving their body enough energy to function to the highest level.
People who take multi-vitamins are often found to be healthier than those who don't, but the actual multi-vitamin is not proven to be the cause of this, rather it's because people who take multi-vitamins are also people who take care of their health in every other area of their life so they are in fact healthier than the rest of the population.
The moral of this story is don't take multivitamins, but be the type of person who would take multi-vitamins.
I think smaller resolutions that you can build off of are much more effective than large sweeping resolutions that you are bound to slip up on.

Yes, it is very important to understand how to use nuts and seeds, as well as understand your own relationship to them. I only use nuts and seeds which have been thoroughly soaked or sprouted, and sometimes ground (like flax, I sprout it and then grind it) Raw nuts and seeds can be extremely hard on the gut and I don't recommend them unless one has digestion of steel.

In my opinion "Health" food stores often are just as filled with junk as anywhere. Worse junk, in my view, because they market it to be "healthy" (soy bars, other processed shit, that sort of thing)

The most important thing about diet is how YOU react to foods. But this takes some time to become aware of. Most people don't know how to listen to their bodies. I would advise people to not worry about "health" foods or superfoods as much as whole foods, in the beginning. Then you can slowly add in and test various things and see how they work for you. But start with the basics. Good oils, fruits and veggies, raw greens, etc and go from there. I don't eat very many "superfoods" unless you cound flax which is amazing.

Also don't eat ANY nuts or seeds unless they are organic. Many nuts and seeds literally soak up poisonous pesticides from the ground dirt and water and are concentrated within the seeds. Inorganic sunflower seeds are known for this. Sunflowers can be used to clean up the soil from past inorganic farming for that reason.

my goals for this year
- treat my candida and leaky gut problems (currently in the process of this)
- cut back majorly on alcohol (currently zero for my candida diet) and learn to socialize without it
- use my freetime more productively on creative projects instead of getting stoned and watching TV
- gain some friggin weight

How are you going about treating your leaky gut?

I'm amidst the same process. I just had my eyes looked at by a naturopath (iridology) and she said it looks like my gut is no longer badly leaking, but still very inflamed and sensitive. I'm on the path!

^ I hear you on those ones...ALL those ones (except the leaky gut ) - I have Candida too. :\

SO far this year mine haven't gone ALL that well...I had to move back in with family, and the past 2 weeks I've had to eat the shit my father buys, as I haven't had any money flow in til today, so I been a bit bummed out. Alcohol intake hasn't been too far off my original plan though - except last week.

But foodwise it will get infinitely better when I start working at this farm shop, and tonight I am determined to go to sleep at 11:30 at the latest, so I can wake up early early and do my yoga with a big headstart to my day.

Picking up my bike again today, better late than never - so will be cycling almost everyday I reckon.

And swimming - it happened once so far...I need to step it up, it's fun and cheap.