• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Need advise on Suboxone Taper for opiate withdrawal

Sparrow144

Greenlighter
(Edit: Just to clarify I'm using subs for 10 days as a tool to get through opiate withdrawals...I've not been on subs more than 10 days. The question is based on how much sub I had to take and how long I took them, will I now go through a much longer withdrawal period once I've taken my last 2 mg sub?)

Hey guys I'm about 5 days into a suboxone taper im doing to get off of opiods. I was on them for about 2 years. I had a planned schedule but needed to take more than I was hoping for the first two days to stay out of withdrawals.

I believe I used around 20 mg per day for the first 2 days, 16 for the next 2 days, 8 for the next few days, and 4 for the last 2.

Im on day 8 right now and plan on stopping on day 8 or 10 when I'm down to 2 mg.

I planned on being on much lower dosage and for only 5 to 7 days but wasn't able to manage it

Days looked like this:

Day 1 20 mg
Day 2 20 mg
Day 3 16 mg
Day 4 16 mg
Day 5 8 mg
Day 6 8 mg
Day 7 4 mg
Day 8 4 mg

Am I now at risk for lengthened withdrawals when I stop the subs because of being on them for too long? Or do you think it will be okay?

Im prepared for 5 to 10 days of feeling like total shit but worried about everything I've read on sub withdrawals lasting 2 to 3 times as long.

Any advise greatly appreciated thank you 🙏

Last edited:
yeah sub withdrawals last a lot longer cause they stay in your system so long but i had a friend that was on suboxone for 3 years and he was able to ween himself off little by little and maybe felt like shit for a week but it wasnt anything crazy. if you have the right amount of medicine i would ween down to taking a low as 1mg per day or as little as possible then quit cold turkey, i wouldnt quit cold turkey off a high dose, or the shittier its going to be. im just telling u what my friend went thru. u have to understand everyone is different with this shit so its hard to give the right answeres.

I got myself down to 1/16 of an 8mg sub when I jumped off, wd lasted about 4-5 weeks.

Thanks yall but I've only been on the suboxone for 10 days. I was on high doses of kratom for 2 years...all extracts and then opiates for a couple weeks before quitting and trying to use subs to get off

In rehab before they gave me suboxone for a week and it helped the opiate detox immensely, but the doses were much lower.

So I was asking based on that with the amount of suboxone I used for these 10 days will I be okay to get through withdrawal OR will I now be going through a longer withdrawal because of the amount of subs I took and the duration I took them for???

Thanks yall but I've only been on the suboxone for 10 days. I was on high doses of kratom for 2 years...all extracts and then opiates for a couple weeks before quitting and trying to use subs to get off

In rehab before they gave me suboxone for a week and it helped the opiate detox immensely, but the doses were much lower.

So I was asking based on that with the amount of suboxone I used for these 10 days will I be okay to get through withdrawal OR will I now be going through a longer withdrawal because of the amount of subs I took and the duration I took them for???
That is a pretty quick taper from a high dose. Personally I've been cutting my dose down in half every 2-3 weeks. I'm down from 16mg to 2mg right now. In fact I just hit 2mg yesterday and I woke up today feeling like shit, tired, no appetite and whatnot, but not feeling like total garbage.

If you have a prescription I would take it a bit slower because yes the withdrawals from your current plan are going to suck big time and for a long time. How are you doing by the way? I see it's been a little over a month since you posted.

I think you should go slower, if thats an option. Two years is nothing to sneeze at.