• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need a little guidance here....

Sick girl

Greenlighter
I have and RX for 80mg per day oxycodone been on this for almost a year. Well I ran out. I'm 5 days through my detox and 3 days till I renew. And low and behold I happened across a fentanyl patch (25 mcg/hr). I know nothing about this thing. I just need some advice on how to proceed so I can carry on business as usual. I'm not looking to get some crazy buzz. I need my pain to stop as the detox isn't really a problem anymore I'm not worried about that. I just want to avoid that whole OD thing, it would be most inconvenient.

The only thing you should consider doing is using the patch as it was intended. Put it on your skin and leave it there for 72 hours. There should be instructions for placement on the package.

25mcg/hr should be an approximate replacement for your 80mg/day oxycodone. It might not last the full 3 days but it'll last at least 2.

It takes 6-8 hours to reach full therapeutic level so don't expect immediate results. Just put it on and wait.

^ Yep, this. Hold the patch for 30 seconds against dry skin, making sure the edges seal. If you have trouble getting it to stick, use first aid tape around the edges of the patch. And Just remember there will be residual amounts per under the skin, if you pull if off early.

Thank you for responding so quickly! There's a ton of stupid, stupid advice out there. And I really just want to be safe and functional.

Make sure you don't get over heated, as this will cause more of the drug to come out in an inconsistent way, I.e hot bath, etc. I used to stick it on my flank, under my boob but above my stomach. If it starts to come off (almost always did for me) you can use medical tape to stick it on.

Let me ask about cutting it down say into quarters. It's easier to add impossible to take away. That's the theory anyway.

Hey, from the prescribing information, 80 mg oxycodone would convert to about a 50 mcg/hr patch rather than a 25 mcg/hr. Time to steady-state is approximately 18 hours, not 6-8 hours. Additionally, do not cut the patch, you will destroy the matrix and can lead to dose-dumping. If you are trying to reduce the amount your body is exposed to, you're better off applying some sort of tape to the face of the patch to reduce the surface area.

Most likely just gonna leave the damn thing alone. By the time it's supposed to work I'll have my regular crap anyway.

^ You are assuming the dose is evenly distributed among the surface. Don't assume things, the patch has issues already, some are known to leak.