• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Nearing the end of opiate withdrawal

Indeed. I have not yet experience the puking aspect by taking to much whereas my boyfriend has multiple times (he likes to take a couple of big ol' spoonfuls at a time, where I only take 1).

So I made it through the day/night with only taking a small scoop of kratom yesterday around 5pm. Smoked some weed before bed and took a .25mg xanax and slept fine(too bad my dad smelled the weed and flipped shit, and threw out the weed I had, he doesn't understand the withdrawals of opiates and thinks all drugs and alcohol are equally awful) . But this morning when I woke up I just felt so groggy and zero motivation. Tried to stick it out for an hour but I ended up taking a scoop of kratom, got things to do today and need energy and motovation. I'm gona try and limit myself to just that but we will see how the day goes. But so far in terms of cutting dosing back it's like night and day so I'm somewhat proud of the amount I'm doing now compared to just a few days ago. Let's see how the next few days go...

I was always good with a teaspoon of kratom two teaspoons made me feel sick. Taking more than a teaspoon at once never really increased my energy theres a ceiling effect you hit with kratom. Definitely weed helped me during wds i made up some poten weed brownies also had lyrica and xanax, clonidine. Between high dosing lyrica and the weed brownies the first two days of wds i was wasted! bumping into walls and stumbly but most of all feeling almost no wds only lack of appetite and sleep. The insomnia for the first month or two during paws was the worse for me but little by little it goes away.

I havnt been able to smoke weed in awhile because my clinic drug tests me randomly when I pick up my 13 take home bottles and if I tested positive they would take them. I don't want to have to go in and dose daily so I have been staying away from it but prior to the clinic I smoked quite often and it has helped me in the past. So I think I will smoke a bit here and there once I'm out of the clinic especially if it helps my symptoms. Thanks Simco! And keep it up, 9 months clean is a amazing! You too Britt keep us posted on your progress?

I havnt been able to smoke weed in awhile because my clinic drug tests me randomly when I pick up my 13 take home bottles and if I tested positive they would take them. I don't want to have to go in and dose daily so I have been staying away from it but prior to the clinic I smoked quite often and it has helped me in the past. So I think I will smoke a bit here and there once I'm out of the clinic especially if it helps my symptoms. Thanks Simco! And keep it up, 9 months clean is a amazing! You too Britt keep us posted on your progress?
^^^ all great info everyone!
Last dose-I feel ya lol once you get threw the acute stage of wd less is more with kratom.
And britt, I think that's a great plan..and try to stay away from the kratom but if the wd are so unbearable I would highly suggest to dose with kratom it's a very helpful tool but to much for to long will gain that damn dependency that we're all trying to get away from. So far I am on day 9 and I am only dosing about 5-8grams daily (i try to limit myself to around 5g) which is almost half of what I was dosing threw the first 6 days of wd. Slowly tapering myself off of it but I find when I don't dose I'm so exhausted, hot/cold sweats, lil restless and slight rls. But everyday gets bettter so I'm hoping to be able to jump off of the kratom train sooooon and then I'll just stick to smoking/ingesting weed here and there if I'm feeling off.
It's so inspiring seeing where everyone is in their recovery, it's a battle and will be for the rest of our lives but we got this! Britt keep me posted with your journey I'd love to hear how it goes for you!! If you have any questions feel free to pm me! :)

JB...best luck with the move off methadone. Please be careful and take it slow!

Thanks Britt! It means so much to me to have you guys to talk to. My boyfriend has never touched an opiate so he thinks I'm exaggerating what WD can be like, no one really gets it/understands.... but you guys do. I really appreciate everyone's support. And it inspires me too to see people like you and Simco doing so well it makes me believe I can do it too. I feel you on the no energy and cold/hot sweats those are always my first symptoms to show personally. You got this though... keep staying strong! ?I do have a question I have never used kratom before although I have looked into it... what's a good starting dose for someone who has never tried it?

Thanks Britt! It means so much to me to have you guys to talk to. My boyfriend has never touched an opiate so he thinks I'm exaggerating what WD can be like, no one really gets it/understands.... but you guys do. I really appreciate everyone's support. And it inspires me too to see people like you and Simco doing so well it makes me believe I can do it too. I feel you on the no energy and cold/hot sweats those are always my first symptoms to show personally. You got this though... keep staying strong! ?I do have a question I have never used kratom before although I have looked into it... what's a good starting dose for someone who has never tried it?
Ahhh I feel you on the part where your boyfriend doesn't understand. I'm a lone wolf when it comes to opiate abuse in my circle. My bf only messed with herion for a month so didn't have very serious w.d and doesn't really understand why I'm so much more hurt and for so much longer then him. That's why I use this site, as messed up as it is, it makes you feel better and gets you through it easier knowing there's so many people who are going threw the same shit.

As for kratom if you do decide to go that route like myself, I stared with about a spoonful, probably about 5-7 grams per scoop and that seemed like a great dose for me. You may need to play around with it to find what works best for you. I find when I take too much I just get sleepy and well sleep which isn't bad while withdrawling!! But if you want it for a pick me up and to get you threw the day if you have things you need to do I would say less is more in that aspect. I find if I use just one scoop it gives me an energy boost. But in the more acute stage of my w.d I was using it a lot about 20g or more per day and I found that's what gave me the most relief in that stage. Also the red strains are better for opiate w.d. White strains energy and green is inbetween. But I can't tell any difference from strain to strain to be honest and I feel the more you use with any strain it will just sedate you which is how I prefer to feel in the acute stage of w,d and once I get past that I just dose enough to get my energy levels up and try and prolong any additional dosing. Especially since it can cause a dependency..

I thought it was best to be off all oipoids before we take kratom ..

I have red green and white kratom on my shelf i have only taken it a couple of times because it gave me bad insomnia
But i took in at night si maybe if i only do it in the mornings it would be better.. i am weaning off fentaynl and klonapins and gabapention...

My plan is to use the kratom then move to cannabis its legal in my state ...i have been experimenting with diffrent strains because i can go right down to the pot store and shop like i am buying vegtables lol ..that is so odd to me Ha ...

I have found that the low thc and high cbd is very relaxing and pain relieving i just need to get through the withdrawls after i shoot a wedding next week then i will drop down to 12.5mcg fent from 25 mcg ...i already went from 50mcg to 25 mcg in march ...

Sounds like your doing great very inspiring for me to read thank you :)

Nomas- i have heard people experiencing insomnia from kratom as it affects everyone differently. And yes I reccomend being off of all opiated before starting with the kratom. Once you are off everything then test the kratom in the morning and see where it takes you throughout the day with trying different amounts through the day. If you find it's not for you then just stop taking it. It would be the most ideal not to take kratom at all because of the dependency aspect it can give you (though it's no where near an opiate withdrawl, it's just like a very mild one) I'm kinda dealing with that now myself. It's 10 days today and I still "need" to dose with kratom to get myself going and it sucks to feel "stuck" yet again even though kratom is the better option in comparison to opiates and it's legal. But I strongly promote the weed it's had helped me tremendously and I like your idea about switching to just weed after kratom, I think I'm going to try that myself. Keep us posted I'd love to hear about your journey!!

FWIW, there's no real need to wait on the kratom until you're off opioids. With medications such as buprenorphine and naltrexone, there's a very real risk of inducing precipitated withdrawals if you begin dosing while you still have full-agonist opioids bound to your opioid receptors. These medications have a much stronger binding affinity on the receptors than, say, heroin or oxy do--hence they'll boot the dope out of place if it's there, leading to the sudden-onset precipitated WDs. With kratom, there's no risk of pWDs.

But this doesn't mean it's not important to be cautious with kratom in general...I just wanted to clear the air about this one issue.

Hope you guys are doing great today!

Only issue with using kratom while opioid tolerant is reduced pleasurable effects from the kratom. But it can still be used to treat withdrawal and related symptoms, much like tramadol. As simco pointed out, there are other (habit forming) reasons to be cautious with it (particularly if one has struggled to control their opioid use previously).

^^^ Great info everyone! Thanks, that's a big help! If I do decide to use the Kratom I'll wait until I'm off the methadone. I'll be careful not to over do it too the last thing I need is to become dependent on it. Hope you guys are all having good days.

Xoxo Britt

Plus the line between feeling the kratom buzz and taking so much you get sick is pretty thin when one isn't tolerant specific to kratom.

You've gotten good advice on the issue though, I think you'll be fine with whatever you choose to do or not do with it down the road. IMO there are better meds than kratom out there, but of course kratom is easier (and sometimes cheaper) to get than the right prescription meds for many people.

I agree. I'm going to see if I can get prescriptions for some other things but if I can't it's good to know all of this in case. Thanks everyone :)

I just wanted to mention...kratom's habit-forming profile is very real. I'm bummed and embarrassed to say that I seem to have fallen into a bit of a kratom habit over the last few weeks. I stupidly started it, thinking it wouldn't get out from under me. And while I've been able to keep my dose low, I have a tough time skipping a day now, emotionally/psychologically speaking. I'm trying to get my shit together and stop with the kratom. But I'm amazed at how it got to me.

So please be careful with it! <3

Simco- I'm in the exact same boat as you currently. 11 days off the hard opiates today but I still have to dose at least once or twice (small doses) daily or I just don't feel "right". I'm ashamed and embarrassed and feel like I have just created another damn dependency but I'm trying to not dose in the next couple days. Hopefully I can just put it down and be okay without it...

Note- my borfriend broke his arm lastnight and I'm terrified he is going to pick up now.( he has already made a call :( ) I'm scared I will cave. I'm trying my best I might have to just remove myself from the situation completely so I don't lapse.

How did he break his arm? That sucks, no one needs difficulties like that in early recovery. How is it gonna affect you if it does lead him to use?

And simco, re the kratom, I know what you mean about the psychological pull of kratom. Try taking less. Like, barely enough to feel subtle effects. And then pay attention, but try to resist, the urge to take more. Once that passes you'll notice you still feel good but not proper high or anything. Doing that helped/helps me avoid daily kratom use. Frankly it's only something I really enjoy when I'm really struggle with stress, so perhaps try to decrease the stress level your currently experiencing. Have you been doing anything for fun? Can you think of doing something to keep the stress low/enjoy each day more? The experience of gratitude is a profound aid in overcoming cravings IME. Perhaps you can get help from your SO on this - are they aware of your feeling about/kratom use?

He started drinking (which he isn't supposed to since he has a history of becoming violent when he drinks, I never drink so it didn't jeopardize my recovery in that aspect) he got into an argument with his folks, and thought smashing the big stereo speaker would solve his anger.. ha. Ya ok.

Just had a really intense conversation to him about picking up. I told him if he decides to pick up he is putting me in a bad situation and I need to go home. I told him we can't just go back to pills when shit gets tough or we are in pain, we must deal without substances from now on. Endure the pain or we will just be righ back where we started and it will get harder and harder to kick and I don't want a life like that. He apologized and said he will not pick up and that I'm right about it all. If he picks up I'm going home and taking a break from him until he gets his shit together.
The worst part is he was the strong one in the relationship, he never really had a opiate problem like me and he kicked it before me and continued to stay clean whereas I kept getting stuck and he helped pull me back out. Now I feel like the tables have turned and it's really testing my strength...

Sounds like a frustrating situation. Relationships in early recovery can be really tough.

One thing I do want to mention, particularly if he has a broken arm, is that taking the approach medication as prescribed by a doctor is one thing - using opioids/medication to get high is entirely another issues. Not having access to medication he needs may make the situation even more difficult for him, although the concerns are obvious. But IME when used specifically and JUST to treat pain, opioids aren't necessarily problematic (I had to have oral surgery after getting sober, and taking pain medication for that, as prescribed, didn't lead to any cravings or worst case scenario or anything).

That said, IBU is really quite a good medication. Might be enough to help him with the pain, but ultimately I'd support him doing whatever his doctor suggests (although having someone give him any necessary opioid medication is probably a good idea).

Anyways, sounds like you have set some good boundaries focused on taking care of your own needs first and foremost. After all, if you aren't taking care of your needs, I don't think it would be reasonable to try supporting another's. Focusing on someone else's needs instead of one's own can be so seductive for some people, so it's good to hear you have an awareness of the importance of taking care of yourself first and foremost.

He was prescribed Tylenol 3 and just laughed at it and said it won't do shit he's gona call his friend for oxy. He told me that he's just taking it strictly for pain and not to get high but with all the circumstances at hand that's highly unlikely it will just be for pain. He was abusing herion just a month ago!
He said he won't pickup so I'm hoping he is true to his word. He has become very depressed and he needs professional help but will not seek it. It's becoming to much for me at this point to handle and I might just go home tonight and give him a week to himself to do whatever the fuck he needs to do, I can't be around him.

He is taking kratom now to help with the pain.

Sigh, sounds like a real shitty situation. I'm sorry to hear it, but hopefully you can do what you need for yourself and he can do what he needs to do for himself, and hopefully each of you taking care of yourselves doesn't come in the way of you taking care of each other or become mutually exclusive.

I wish I had some actual advice to offer on this, but, alas...