• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Nearing the end of opiate withdrawal

Bishwj

Greenlighter
So I've been on this site many times. Always seeking answers. Well now it's my turn to chime in. Okay to the point.

I am a heavy user of opioids, opiates whatever you call them. Had a back injury about 1.5 years ago and have been using 10/325 mg oxycodone. That's just what was prescribed. I'd go through a script of 120 of those suckers in 4-6 days. I just loved bein pain free and I lied about my tolerance to get them. (Never do that) so here I am ran out, owe my dealer who gets 30mg roxicodone and 80mg OP $2000. Can you believe he let me get that high in debt?! I'd use either of those when I ran out of mine. Sometimes 3-5 a day. 1-2 of the 80's. Well back and forth I've finally said enoughs enough. I quit cold turkey. I have no money, out of my script, and I'm on day 3 of quitting. Now on day one at the end I did do one 30mg roxi. Helped ease the torment. But now I'm on my final days. I just want this post to sit here for those who are going through the same thing, yes opioids are a beautiful thing. They make life, well, perfect. But just like signing your contract with the devil it comes at a cost. 3 full days of pain, which isn't even that bad compared to others.

To sum this up I do have a question. If I used one more 30 just to ease the last bit of this pain how far back would that set me? Thanks in advance. I'm 24 years old btw.

Taking one pill isn't going to set you back much, if at all, physically. But I agree with CH--if you can possibly avoid it, I'd really try not to. Things are so complicated when it comes to getting our footing in recovery. Anything that muddies the waters is a risk, especially early on.

Well I have to go to work tomorrow, I already took one day off. Not that it matter much because I just got a new job. But I think I'm gonna hold onto one just to make sure I don't freak out at work. Maybe take a quarter. Is there such thing as weining off of these things without pain?

In theory, a well planned taper, possibly in conjunction with some comfort meds, could soften the landing to nearly imperceptible. But with full-agonist opioids, like these, that kind of taper is really hard for almost everyone.

Unfortunately, we almost all have to pay the piper at some point.

Best luck!

How are you doing now ? are you feeling better yet or the same ? Just curious I have not gone more that 3 days without opoids in 7 years and am tapering becaue cold turkey was way to hard for me I am older so maybe that makes it harder I have no clue ...

I truly hope you are doing better now that its been 6 days ...

On my taper I felt crappy for a whole month ...

Hey nomasfent I'm doing just fine. I actually went through 6 days of hell. Took about 120-200 mg a day for 6 months so that's why. I actually just took one I had left, because I saw it as a reward. I know I know it's not a reward, however it's been two weeks since I've taken anything. So I'm assuming that if I do have a withdrawal tomorrow, by the end of the day it will be very minor if any at all. I have herniated discs and bulging ones too in my lower back due to a car accident. I was in pain, not hyperplasia if that's spelled right but I mowed my moms yard today and it really messed up my back. I don't plan on taking them unless I go a week with back pain. What actually got me through the withdrawal is Kratom they're opms shots that actually bind to your MU receptor instead of the delta receptor in your brain but they do keep the withdrawals at bay. I tapered off the Kratom for a week, but you can still withdrawal from Kratom. So yes it helps ease the hell on earth but it's not getting you too far in terms of recovery. If you are 6 days in and still withdrawing, Kratom will indeed help. I'm experimenting too with my body. No pain no gain. So I'm seeing if this 15 mgs will set me back at all. I don't think it will, but I'll keep you posted. You literally have to hang in there and drink a lot of Gatorade, take tylenol, or aleve. As far as the rls at night and not sleeping take unisom sleeping aids and a benzo like Xanax to help you sleep. It's such a tough process but, you come out better than you were before taking them. I believe it strengthens your brain and gives you a new outlook on life. And yes your age does make a difference. The older you are the harder the withdrawal because it takes an older body and brain more time to recover. If you have any more questions about recovery or home remedies let me know I'm here for anyone. I hope you're doing okay, a close support of friends or even these threads help a lot! Look forward to hearing from you again sir.

Unfortunately you are just going to prolong your withdrawal by taken any opiates whatsoever. As tempting as it may be, the few hours of symptomatic relief will come with a price and definitely set you back in terms of the overall duration of your withdrawal. Personally, I would rather be sick as a dog for two or three weeks coming off of heroin than months of gradual titration with methadone or buprenophine. Yes. I'm still on methadone now so you've got balls for going CT. Everyone is different I guess. But if your suffering is too much to bear maybe consider a benzo for short-term, pregabalin or even a smoke of indica (it might heighten symptoms and anxiety for some but I find it really helps with the muscle pain, nausea, appetite, insomnia and restless legs). Good luck!

Well I'm 24 hours in and there's a slight sweat but that's all. I cleaned my system good, so the withdrawals don't seem to be anything as bad as before. I think I lucked out this time, but I'm becoming disgusted at the things. I still have some, but I won't touch them just because of the pure fact that they put me through so much hell. I'll give it another 2 weeks, if I'm in that much pain again, to a point where I may need to go to the er, I'll take one. Only because that's more than likely what they will give me in the hospital. Maybe not. Feels good being in control again. The craving is still there but the thought of the pain it brings keeps me at bay. Takes a lot of will power for the most part.

Hey! Our stories are quite the same (in the amount of use and duration and age) except I was messing with herion and fentynal power when my oxy 80 supplier ran out... anyways today is day 7 and I have been using kratom to help curb the w.d for the past week and use about 5g in the morn, another 5g in afternoon and another 5g before bed and sometimes a lil more thoughout the day is needed. so here's my question, how much and long were you utilizing the kratom for and how did you come off of it?? Did you experience any w.d from the kratom?? Today I haven't had any kratom to see if I can just make it through without but I'm now starting to think I might need to dose.. any help is appreciated!

Ended up taking a small dose of kratom cause I was starting to feel uncomfortable. I feel great now but I'm gona try and limit myself to just that for the rest of the evening. I'm also gona try and see how long I can go without kratom tomorrow and so on...

Hey Britt so Kratom. Here's the thing yes you've already experienced its ability for withdrawal, you might feel the burning or discomfort but nothing close to the pills of oxy. Imma tell you how to get off it, or at least how I did. You've got to cut the dose, and taper. With oxy tapering is bs there is eventually a wall you have to hit, but with Kratom I quit whilst at work. It's easier to sweat out Kratom as well. So on your last day sweat it out. It feels good. But I cut my doses into 8ths of an 8ml shot bottle of liquid Kratom. You only need a small amount to get relief. Plus it's more cost effective. @ $20 a bottle. I try to go as long as I can without, then dose. Each time you do that, the wd get easier. Tapering works at least for me with Kratom. So next time you feel off if it's not that bad, try and sweat it out, if it is, just dose. The longer you take Kratom the longer it will capture you. I only did a week or so. Kratom is a wonder herb but it has its catch 22s.

I actually am in a lot of pain right now, I have meds but I refuse to take them. If it weren't for the pain, this would be easier. Do you have actual pain? I mean mine is topped at a 9 right now out of 10. Almost cried, grown as man, almost cried at work today. Let me know how you are doing!

Hey Britt so Kratom. Here's the thing yes you've already experienced its ability for withdrawal, you might feel the burning or discomfort but nothing close to the pills of oxy. Imma tell you how to get off it, or at least how I did. You've got to cut the dose, and taper. With oxy tapering is bs there is eventually a wall you have to hit, but with Kratom I quit whilst at work. It's easier to sweat out Kratom as well. So on your last day sweat it out. It feels good. But I cut my doses into 8ths of an 8ml shot bottle of liquid Kratom. You only need a small amount to get relief. Plus it's more cost effective. @ $20 a bottle. I try to go as long as I can without, then dose. Each time you do that, the wd get easier. Tapering works at least for me with Kratom. So next time you feel off if it's not that bad, try and sweat it out, if it is, just dose. The longer you take Kratom the longer it will capture you. I only did a week or so. Kratom is a wonder herb but it has its catch 22s.

I actually am in a lot of pain right now, I have meds but I refuse to take them. If it weren't for the pain, this would be easier. Do you have actual pain? I mean mine is topped at a 9 right now out of 10. Almost cried, grown as man, almost cried at work today. Let me know how you are doing!
This is amazing information!! I think I'm on the right track with tapering then!! Woooo :) and yes kratom is deff a catch 22 lol when something seems too good to be true, usually always is.
And awesome job for being under so much pin, having opiates on hand and not taking them. That is so hardcore and strong of you!! Keep it up dude!! As for me.. I was a stupid teenager and got involved with the wrong crowed. Went from innocent sheltered girl to full blown opiate addict. All because of my "first love, the badboy" fml. I'm 25 now and it's been a struggle. I managed to stay clean for 4 years and thought I would never touch an opiate again, until this winter I found myself unbelieveaby stressed and horrible anxiety and a girlfriend from the past msg me about having a ton of pills. An you know how the rest goes... so shame on me for getting myself addicted whereas there are so many ppl who are prescribed these meds with no knowledge of the grasp it takes hold of you.
Your story is inspiring me to get off the kratom and remain clean and serene. Thank you!!

Good info Bish, the key to kratom is to stick with powder leaf only, bali worked best for me. You have to ween yourself down to a low dose of oxy before jumping to kratom if i remember 4 or 5 grams of bali was equal to around 15mgs oxy. And if you take much more than 5 grams at once it will make you sick it made me puke. Once your down to around 30mgs total oxy a day your good to jump just have some good comfort meds and it will be almost painless good luck

Yeah so just to note with Kratom like the last dose said, is that you can get sick if you take too much. I took 16ml at once two shot bottles and it made my head spin like crazy and my heart race. Everyone is different though, so while it make some puke it may do other things to other people.

Yeah so just to note with Kratom like the last dose said, is that you can get sick if you take too much. I took 16ml at once two shot bottles and it made my head spin like crazy and my heart race. Everyone is different though, so while it make some puke it may do other things to other people.
Indeed. I have not yet experience the puking aspect by taking to much whereas my boyfriend has multiple times (he likes to take a couple of big ol' spoonfuls at a time, where I only take 1).

So I made it through the day/night with only taking a small scoop of kratom yesterday around 5pm. Smoked some weed before bed and took a .25mg xanax and slept fine(too bad my dad smelled the weed and flipped shit, and threw out the weed I had, he doesn't understand the withdrawals of opiates and thinks all drugs and alcohol are equally awful) . But this morning when I woke up I just felt so groggy and zero motivation. Tried to stick it out for an hour but I ended up taking a scoop of kratom, got things to do today and need energy and motovation. I'm gona try and limit myself to just that but we will see how the day goes. But so far in terms of cutting dosing back it's like night and day so I'm somewhat proud of the amount I'm doing now compared to just a few days ago. Let's see how the next few days go...

Britt does the weed help? I was curious about that. I'll be Withdrawing off Methadone soon tapering down. I'm at 27mg. I was wondering if the weed might help at least a bit.

Britt does the weed help? I was curious about that. I'll be Withdrawing off Methadone soon tapering down. I'm at 27mg. I was wondering if the weed might help at least a bit.
Good job on tapering down you got this :) yes weed helps tremendously!! (Although some users do experience anxiety from it, making w.d seem worse.) but I would suggest to smoke a bit see how it makes you feel and continue from there. I find edibles are better and they make me stay asleep longer then oppose to just smoking. I would also reccomend kratom, it alleviates almost all the symptoms if taken properly, but it can cause dependency if taken too long and you can endure a light "opiate-like" withdrawal so taper off of that after a week or two..If you don't know about it I would reccomend doing some research on it! Good luck! A benzo like xanax or Valium can be very helpful also but use with caution so you don't become addicted to those.

Thanks! That's very helpful. I was thinking about the Kratom but am a bit worried I might become dependent on it. I guess I'll have to see how I'm feeling once I'm off it and go from there. Glad to hear you are doing good so far too! Keep it up and good luck to ya girl!

Hi Britt (both of you!)...just wanted to chime in on two things.

First, I do agree that staying away from kratom is a good idea if you can. Obviously, it's far preferable to an opioid habit. But it really does carry the possibility of dependency. If it's your best choice, I at least recommend being very cautious about letting your dose increase.

Second, the value of cannabis for people kicking opioids seems to vary from person to person (not surprising, really). Personally, though, it's been really helpful for me. I'm about 9 months off heroin at this point...weed has helped me at almost every stage of the process. Interestingly, for a while I couldn't smoke due to possible employer drug testing and during that time I was drinking a bit...the booze kicked off a lot of opioid craving for me so I had to quit. But weed never had that effect on me...just helped me relax and stop obsessing over dope.

I hope you're doing great today!