• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA BCS National Championship: OSU Vs LSU

That letter is a little bit screwy. Unprofessional? Yes. Did he call anyone, or even insinuate someone is a thug? No that I can find. Talk about people putting words in his mouth....

axl blaze said:
it's all good, the Dolphins are my second fave NFL team. all Miami teams are my second fave pro sports teams.

It's cool man. It can't get any worse for a Miami fan. I even flew down for the last game at the Orange Bowl this year. Stayed till the end of that asswhipping. But it's sad to see the OB go. Yeah it was more rust than orange but I've been going to games there since I was ten. Hell I'm even buying the three seats that we used to sit in back when I lived in Miami and had season tickets :(

I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

Its that paragraph right there.

I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

by this, the commissioner should be understood to mean "losing"

and he really cant talk, players like troy smith, and michael vick are thugs. they wouldnt be at universities like OSU and VT without their athletic abilities. no conference is innocent of recruiting players based solely on athletics.

What did Troy Smith do that makes him a thug? Win the Heisman?

I still don't see any thug references. Maybe he was implying other schools party more?

Who the fuck knows, but Im not going to draw assumptions like that and put words in the guy's mouth...

i think he took some jack from a booster as a frosh... surely not thugish, i mean the guy gave it to him; its not like he had to "hit a lick" ;)

jackie-jokeman.gif

Right. Haha. You know I heard Craig Krenzel is a real hard ass. ;)

Maybe atlas meant Maurice Clarrett?

I actually can't read the slam in those words either, so I find myself in the awkward state of agreeing with BA on TWO points - not a thug reference, and thinking atlas meant MC (a true thug, no doubt).

didn't mean to slander smith. i was just referring to his childhood, and the only way (most) kids like him get out of poverty is through athletics, and thats not (ostensibly) what college is there for.

it is not fair to dig on Troy Smith for being a thug. as someone who has met him personally I feel obligated to stand up for his character. yes, he is black and from a very bad part of Cleveland. his best friend on the team was Maurice Clarrett and he really could have taken the dirty road or the high road - thankfully he took the high road. to me, calling him a bad character is baseless, borderline racist, and borderline classism.

he is a very articulate, grateful, and proud young man. if you have met him face-to-face I feel like you would agree with my sentiments.

axl blaze said:
it is not fair to dig on Troy Smith for being a thug. as someone who has met him personally I feel obligated to stand up for his character. yes, he is black and from a very bad part of Cleveland. his best friend on the team was Maurice Clarrett and he really could have taken the dirty road or the high road - thankfully he took the high road. to me, calling him a bad character is baseless, borderline racist, and borderline classism.

he is a very articulate, grateful, and proud young man. if you have met him face-to-face I feel like you would agree with my sentiments.

I don't believe you can judge someones character by just talking to them for a couple minutes.

People are too complex and often put on a mask when casually meeting/talking with someone new.

How do you think some of those women on the tv got reeled into getting killed by crazy serial killers? "Oh, he seemed sooo sweet and gentle."

so in your expert opinion it is better to judge someone by their skin color, their city of birth, and who they used to associate themself with?

I didn't say that either.

ALTHOUGH, as the old adage goes, "birds of a feather, fly together."

Just sayin'. :\

I was not trying to put words into your mouth, I just feel compelled to back Troy Smith because he is a hard-working, classy individual.

Just to hijack this thread back onto topic...

I've been staring at my cell mate's co-worker's OSU pennant which has no scrawl across the "O", just the little nuts off to the right and it made me want to have some text to it along the lines of "Tradition - a part of OSU History" then near the "O" something about bowl wins vs SEC. However, someone left this on my desk for when I came in this morning :D

Low_825b1997271d4f7.jpg

Which also led me to see this one

Low_9ed3f4456d924eb.jpg

Local sports radio has callins shitting a brick about Rodriguez bringing the spread to Michigan 8( .... closing with the projection that OSU has a one game season next year. Beat USC on the road (the one game) then clear sailing with any medium tough games at home...lining them up for a 3rd year in the BCS NC against

...wait for it

...wait for it

UGA :D

(and yes, they expect to lose that one too ;) ).