• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery My journey starts today (hydromorphone)

^^
TLD, sounds like we've got similar stuff going on in that I also am a watery emotional whirlwind. Gets tiring, no?

Man your not kidding!! as everything starts to come back slowly seems like the emotional shit isn't changing back fast enough for me, its not as bad as the first month after wds.

^^
Hey, @POkemama. You asked about exercise... I've never heard anything convincing about exercise shortening WDs, but it is, for most people, strongly the case that it will improve your mood and outlook. Last time I detoxed, I started going to the gym around day 5. I didn't do anything very hard, just some cardio stuff. But I was amazed what it did for my mood. (Now if I can just get myself BACK to the gym :\

You also mentioned the meds you're taking, which sound spot on...except I noticed there are no anxiolytics (anti-anxiety drugs) on the list. I'm afraid I can't remember--do you prefer not to take benzos? If you're OK with them, something to knock the anxiety and agitation down, and to help with sleep, has always been an important part of early recovery for me, FWIW.

Seems like everyone is doing pretty well. Let's keep up the momentum, even if it doesn't feel like momentum all the time.

Thanks Sim, for a post filled with good information. I agree 100% about the exercise helping mood. I relapsed after getting 14 months clean bc I could not or chose not to motivate myself to exercise. An hour at the gym a couple of times a week would have been far less painful than what I am going through.

I do have a couple bottles of ativan. After reading CJ's thread, and a few others, I am so afraid of getting addicted to benzos. Any advice on how to use them without heading down that slippery slope? It would be so helpful to hear your thoughts on this, as I am only sleeping for about 20-min to 45 minutes fter I take my baclofen, and then my withdrawal symptoms wake me up.

I will try to get over to your thread very, very soon, so as to offer you support. I hope you continue to stay the course...and congrats on becoming mod!!

Hi Sista, thanks for those kind words you made my eyes watery im still more emotional now than before wds thank you!, maybe this is normal now for me. Gapapentin and balcofen can make you dizzy, i stopped taking my muscle relaxer after the first day of wds i wasnt getting bad rls and i dont like the effects from muscle relaxers. Im not sure if you were on gabapentin before wds just because of the tolerance you build. But if you were not it should work great, what dose of gabapentin are you taking daily. Lyrica makes me a little dizzy throws my balance off some, but call me nuts cause i love the effects from lyrica. Try to go out and walk the most you can and listen to music wear headphones just walking and listening to music increases dopamine and spirits greatly. Hang in there Sista you got this things will start getting better soon! TLD

HeyTLD:Thank
you so much for the great feedback regarding the gabapentin and the baclofen!! You were right on!!! I tried very hard to go as long as I could w/o the baclofen, and the dizziness started to get better. However, I am still getting full blown withdrawals, in that my chest spasms, so does my stomach, and the anxiety is through the roof. I would not have been able to detox without the baclofen, that is for sure. I never got RLS...nw I know it is b/c of my meds. So, I will balance out my need to feel relief with feeling as little dizziness as possible! I appreciate your feedback so much!
So, it is weird... I keep trying to figure out how long this stuff is going to go on, as I am getting very tired of it!! I started my 75% of my dose taper on February 11th, throwing my body into full on horrible withdrawals, with the vomiting for hours on end, and the stomach cramps from hell. That lasted 9 days and then I got a little relief, b/f I started getting sick again, a couple hours after my taper dose. So, 7 days ago, I jumped off the osymorphone, and used a couple of 10mg oxycodone to try and manage symptoms, but they did not work at all. I had my last oxycodone 5 days ago. So, you can see why I am so confused... so many dates to keep track of. All I know is, if I stop taking the baclofen, the withdrawals return badly. I hope I am out of withdrawals by June, lol!!

Baclofen can really help with withdrawal, even more so than gabapentin (actually much more so). Just be sure you discontinue it slowly and don't just jump off it, or else you'll experience a withdrawal syndrome from that medication as well. You shouldn't have to really take it for more than a couple week since your last dose of opioids in terms of managing acute opioid withdrawal though.

Are you taking both gabapentin and baclofen concurrently? If not it might be a good idea to use gabapentin to wean yourself off the baclofen when you're ready to come off that. Or if you are taking them both concurrently, discontinuing one at a time slowly would be a lot more manageable than both at once.

How much baclofen/etc are you currently taking? If you want to see what happens, try lowering your dose of it significantly once it's been one or two weeks since your last dose of opioids (which would be in two to nine days) and see how you feel. That will give you an idea if you are going to needing to be managing baclofen related withdrawal or if it is more lingering symptoms from the acute opioid withdrawal syndrome.

Thanks
TPD for your advice. It feels right on re: my experiencing of both gabapentin and baclofen. I am taking only 10 mg of baclofen, every 5- 7 hours. Yes, I go into withdrawals, badly so, but it takes the edge off, and I get 20 min to 1 hour of sleep 2 hours after dosing at night. I have read phenibut warning stories here on BL,which is the same as baclofen, if I am not mistaken, so have scared myself.
Unfortunately, I am expecting my withdrawals to last more than 9 days... Sixx's lasted 3 weeks, and some of the threads I have managed to dig up of people sniffing Oxymorphone ER (Opana), have had longer physical withdrawal periods.
I currently at am Day 7 off of oxymorphone, and day 6 off of all opiates. I will definitely be posting here, and look forward to telling you all when the physical withdrawals abate. I sure hope you are right, TPD and that I am wrong!! Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

Hey pokemama, you still hanging in?

I'll say after 14 days you should start feeling the majority of symptoms dissipate. I finally got some sleep on day 12 I believe, for my last two detoxes. I have kicked opiotes many times in the past. Always oxy and always oral. Which I found infinitely easier then after I began sniffing....I dunno why, but the BA is much higher when you IV or sniff the shit. Maybe it effects or brain's differently..I dunno.

But hang in, you're through the worst of it I believe.. It may stretch a few more days, but you'll feel awesome when you get your first 6 hour sleep..

Please keep us posted

Sixx

At the risk of saying stuff you might all know already, I think I can shed a little light on why you both experienced more trouble detoxing from sniffing than from oral use. There are a lot of factors in play, but a big one is the duration of the lag between taking a drug and when its onset starts. In most cases, the come up via oral dosing is slower than snorting, which is slower than IV. One of the things that makes IV'ing so rough (addiction-wise) is that the rush is near-instantaneous. Snorting is also pretty damn fast. As I understand it, that kind of fast onset can lead a drug to get its claws into you fast and deep.

I remember when I starting shooting instead of snorting H...my tolerance and the necessary frequency of use rocketed so fast it made my head spin.

Simco... you are so right. Also, the reason I sniffed oxymorphone was that I read that the bio availability increased from 10% orally to 30-40% when sniffed. It was true... I tried taking it orally and never felt a thing. I sniffed and wow... there was a noticeable difference.

Yep, with most opioids, the bioavaiability ladder is roughly oral < snorting / plugging < shooting. I'm not sure where smoking comes in...I don't think people typically smoke pharmaceutical opioids...am I right about that?

Moving to a more intense ROA always surprised me because at first I could do so much less of the drug that it seemed somehow less damaging. But of course, the effective dose was ~the same...and from there it went up quickly. :|

Poke -

i found where you were hanging out finally! I have never tried sniffing and will certainly be heeding your warning on doing so. I agree with Simco, I think that the overall problem with it, and how it fits into the "progression" of addiction, is that it hits faster (and stronger). In any case, I won't ever find out due to your experience with it. I pride myself in learning from the mistakes of others - thank you for sharing your experience with us. I know it isn't easy. I remeber from reading your tapering thread that it is a source of shame and guilt for you. But your honesty helps me and others!

How are you feeling? You have to be closing in on a week, right? I started feeling better around day 10-12. I thought it should have happened quicker, but this withdrawal crap has its own schedule, that's for sure.

- VE

Hi
Everybody! Yes, I am still alive and still clean... 8 days off all opioids. I am stopping that crap of keeping track of when I quit the oxymorphone, when I did my taper...I was driving myself crazy! Yesterday was rough... I was really hoping to have a heart attack and die, but no luck, lol. My brain is so fried, man.

Thanks VE for learning from my mistake. If I had not progressed to sniffing I would have had much less suffering, for sure.

Guys...I may start my own recovery journal thread, just as you all did, but will drive by here everytime I am online to hang out. Thanks VE for the suggestion!

Thank you for posting this. It's saving me right now!
I am going cold turkey off of Dilaudid. Today was my first day without it in four years. I am using some Neurontin and immodium. I have been reading your guys' posts and if it weren't for you guys and this thread I wouldn't be doing this right now. Every time I tried to get off or taper I failed. Then I started the neurontin and I was able to taper much faster.
It's rough though! Really rough!
Wow. I am so moody and angry. It's terrible. I say things then I'm like, "did I just say that?"
So I have a chronic illness and I'm not use to being in this much pain. I have another surgery coming up and I do not want a high tolerance. The laws are getting so crazy and stiff regarding pain meds and I know that I will have difficulty getting taken seriously after surgery if I am on so many pain meds. I want off of them!
I could use your advice. I see the Kratom responses. Does Kratom help pain? Is it worth it to get some for W/D if I'm using neurontin and immodium for Dilaudid W/D. I mean I am only on the first day and Sixx's exerpience scares me a little. Well, a lot! But, thankfully, I am not on as much as he was. Although, I was insulfating 3-10 mg. of Dilaudid a day so that makes it worse.
Anyways, that's my story. Day one. First post. Blue light newby. Tired of being dependent on a little pill to relive my suffering.

Congrats violet, making the choice to get clean ain't easy. I did see your other post where you mentioned only being on 2-4mg a day.. Is this correct?

If you were able to taper from 64mg down to that, you've done the hard part. That's amazing. I couldn't taper for the life of me.
I jumped from 3-4 30mg a day. Or 4-5 24's.

I may have mis read your dose correctly? But if you're jumping from 2-4mg daily habit, you're going to have some rls for a few days, be irritable, emotional and just feel like crap. But from my experience you will recover quickly from such a small dose.. the taper was really the hard part. I'm impressed that you were able to do it so well.

I've always used pain killers, mostly responsibly. But the minute I put dilaudid up my nose the whole game changed. It's incredibly difficult to break away from. But with that successful taper... Hell, I think you can do anything!! And yes kratom does help with pain a little... And you won't od on it.

Best of luck and please keep use posted?

Pokemama,. Hi!!! How are you feeling.. And what day are you on? I'm gonna go check your thread. I hope you're still kicking ass?

I suppose I'm around 2 1/2 months clean. I'll update my thread soon, when I have some time.

Hang tough friends

Sixx

Sixx...2 1/2 months! Fuckin awesome man. Glad to hear you're still killing it. You too, POkemama!

Hey Sixxam,
Yes, I was able to taper down that low but the thing is every bit of 2-4 mg. was either plugged or going straight up me nose. So whatever that means for the intensity of withdrawal I do not know.
Thank you for the encouragement. 2 1/2 months is awesome! Congratulations!

Violet: Welcome to BL!! You can do this, just read around the forums and post when you need to. Sixx: I am on day 12 clean today...yea!! Went to an NA meeting yesterday, which I posted about, I think, yesterday. Still having sleep issues, but I guess it comes with the territory. I am overthinking it instead of doing my meditation and deep breathing exercises, I guess. However, I still never want to use again. That is the good news! Hi Sim:)

Violet: Welcome to BL!! You can do this, just read around the forums and post when you need to. Sixx: I am on day 12 clean today...yea!! Went to an NA meeting yesterday, which I posted about, I think, yesterday. Still having sleep issues, but I guess it comes with the territory. I am overthinking it instead of doing my meditation and deep breathing exercises, I guess. However, I still never want to use again. That is the good news! Hi Sim:)

12 days is huge! I'm so proud to see you powering through this. You're doing great.
<3
Sim

Well I guess I'm 2.5 months opiote free today.

I've been having serious anxiety since dropping off the benzos quickly. Not sleeping and just feeling sketchy. I've been down to 1/10th mg xanax for a few days and I can feel it.

I figured I should probably get do a longer taper as I'm just not ready to dive off yet. For me, benzos are easier to taper as I don't enjoy them like I do opiotes. And anxiety ruins me. I'm even considering going on another SSRI for a while if I have to, just to help with the damn anxiety.

I was on celexa for a while and found it very effective. But..... After a while it made me sweat like crazy and totally killed my sex drive. So im skeptical to consider another.

I talked to my wife and told her I was contacting my dilaudid hook up to inquire about benzos.. this particular dealer had and can get anything any time. I don't think she was happy but I kept it open and honest. She just asked that I have it brought to the house so she doesn't have to worry.. and I get it.

So yeah, I grabbed 35 1mg lorazepam. So I can stretch this taper out as long as I want. Which makes me feel a little better. Some days I feel like I don't wanna take anything, and other I'm like fuck it, I need to chill this anxiety.

I'm still in the blah stage.. but I'm definitely feeling a tad bitty better then I was a month ago, so I hope it'll continue to progress.

Thinking of all you guys..Sim, VE,10,poke etc etc.......I hope you're all still in the game. I should post more, I'm just drained lately.

Just a quick slightly depressing update lol. ?

Sixx