• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc My First Experience w/ DMAE

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Yesterday I finally got to trying the DMAE I’d had sitting on the counter, and so glad I did...

So I’ve been struggling lately to find the energy I need for life. I used to have no problem getting through without any stimulants but that’s changed this past 2 years.

Lately I’ve gotten to a point where I can manage life with only caffeine a few times a week, but caffeine doesn’t really work for me all that well in regards to completing tasks. (It’s more recreational, like sitting talking with friends or reading a book.)

Around 2-3pm yesterday I decided what the hell, and popped down 150mg.

Over a few hours I began to feel the “effects” which I can only describe as an adderall like sensation but overall lacking in the euphoria area. Like if adderall was stripped of all the feel goodness, this is what would be left.

I actually felt as if this was better for staying on task than adderall, because again like caffeine I find myself wanting to do recreational things over boring tasks.

Last night it was like my mind was being forced to do chores and tasks I normally have to push myself to do, and the things I normally enjoy were too slow or unproductive to actually enjoy.

From the time I dosed I went tweaker mode on projects around my house and before I knew it, it was midnight.

The amount of shit I got done yesterday, and the level of which I could multi task was beyond human.

At midnight I began getting a headache, likely from lack of sleep, and quickly dosed offupon lying down.

Woke up this morning still kinda feeling it but nowhere near as strongly.

So why did I respond so strongly? Anyone here have experience with this substance? My guess is maybe I was really lacking in acetylcholine?

Whatever the case I’ll be using this stuff in the future. Probably sparingly as I’m sure there’s gotta be a downside to this.

-GC

By DMAE you mean Dimethylethanolamine?

So why did I respond so strongly?

Placebo? A sample of N=1 is not sufficient to prove the activity of a compound, you should know that ;) I have doubts because you have likely been consuming choline and its precursors your whole life, and presumably only noticed the amphetamine-type stmulation today.

Try repeating the experiment, not only with DMAE, but also with a natural source of choline. For instance, try two large eggs served in whatever style you prefer. (I like mine fried, sunny-side-up, with lots of Louisiana hot sauce and cracked pepper, side of whole grain toast with unsalted butter) That's about 300mg-350mg choline, plus all the other nutrients. Other good sources: beef or chicken liver, bacon (mmm, serve with those fried eggs), pork loin, wheat germ, soybeans, shrimp. (The average reccomended dietary intake of choline is 550mg per day, according to USDA)

Get a few of your friends to try too. Do a blind comparison where you make two smoothies and add DMAE to one of them, see how your friends respond. (Or have your friends prepare the drinks and you consume them, without knowing which is which). Double blind is the gold standard for evidence like this.

maybe I was really lacking in acetylcholine?

I somehow doubt that very much. ACh is a major neurotransmitter needed for muscular function, a deficiency would mean loss of cholinergic signalling and resultant flaccid paralysis. I think you can actually biosynthesize limited amounts of choline too (maybe from gut bacteria). As a result choline deficiency is incredibly rare if you're not starving to death. (Deficiency is also reported to cause damage to liver and muscle tissue.)

Also, wiki says: Excessive doses of choline can have adverse effects. Daily 8–20 gram doses of choline, for example, have been found to cause low blood pressure, nausea, diarrhea and fish-like body odor. The odor is due to trimethylamine (TMA) formed by the gut microbes from the unabsorbed choline (see trimethylaminuria)]. Don't overdo it :)

Haha I make no definitive statements.. Yet :)

So I actually did repeat said experiment yesterday morning with a nice big egg sandwich. While I noticed the same effects, they were less pronounced.

I actually almost feel it stronger today... It’s not so much a high as it is a strong motivation. I feel a lot more “normal” which has me wondering if I was deficient in something before?

As you said though @sekio my diet is likely not lacking in choline so I’m not sure what’s going on here? I eat very well and rounded diet.

Another note, I’ve been able to push my workouts a lot harder and I’ve noticed a lot less inflammation in my body.

My girl is gonna try it this weekend and that’s the ultimate test. She’s a hard head that doesn’t feel something unless it’s kicking her straight in the.. well she’s kinda like you ;)

To be fair others have reported similar effects to what I describe, but even more report nothing so idk. Could be the source, could be a placebo as you say.

If I start shitting and smelling like a whore house then I know to step it back a notch lol. I can’t imagine TMA floating around in the body is any good for you either...

-GC