• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery My cliché recovery journal

Rio I hope your thoughts are as vivid and articulate as they are now when you inevitably go through another rough patch. Take care to be mindful when approaching those dates in your recovery. It’s amazing how insightful we can be when we take a step back from it all, but in that moment of desperation and despair it’s so much more difficult to think rationally. I’m the same way and it’s pure madness. We need to start following our own advice. Hope you had a good Christmas!

Too true!! When I'm in the middle of a bad craving it can suddenly feel like all my reasons for staying clean don't matter half as much as using to change how I'm feeling. I am currently benefiting I think from the fact that this isn't new to me - I've done the first month of sobriety many times, so I know what to expect. I'm finding myself a little impatient almost to skip ahead to being in new territory, but I know that I have to just take it a day at a time. I'm really pleased with the progress I have made - I'm only 12 days in, but this is actually the longest time I've gone clean since I relapsed back in September, so I am really happy about that. How are you doing??

well done for keeping at it rio, don't get too impatient, it'll come in time if you put the work in. early on its so fucking important to keep it in the day. there is no point projecting about what your life will be like if you get x time clean because projecting too much actively undermines your chances of getting to x days clean.

how was your christmas with your family? i enjoyed mine though drank way too much on christmas day. surprise surprise!

have been thinking about this anhedonia business, firstly i've got really bad at taking my sertraline mostly cos i'm registered at a doctor at m parents and my mum moans if she needs to collect my prescriptions but i haven't wanted to get a new doctor with all this covid stuff going on. i am on sertraline to manage my ptsd but it would make sense that not taking it properly would impact my mood. secondly i think i just need to accept that my life will be a bit shit for a while. i've been fighting it which motivates me to numb myself. i can't really force myself to feel excited about stuff. all the activities i could do to alleviate boredom take more energy than i routinely have after working hard all day, though i know that not drinking will improve my energy levels.

i really wish i could get excited about leaving the fucking country, it is one of my main motivators in recovery, and cos of covid i haven't been anywhere- in the 4 months before lockdown my sister went to thailand with work and then the month before she did a road trip down the west coast of the states, i was supposed to have an adventure in june but it was cancelled. i'm gonna try and think of stuff that i can do on my own in winter lockdown that actually makes me feel excited but so far drawing a blank.

Having run the gauntlet of cravings yesterday, I’ve made it out the other side to day 6. Not confident in my ability to sustain this long-term. Think I’m gonna ask for rehab when I go to court next week.
@chinup I would love to be able to travel right now. For the first time in a long while I can just about drop everything and go anywhere. Other than a few legal things I have almost zero obligations right now and wanderlust is tugging at my spinal cord. Though I guess location change hasn’t really worked for me in the past, I would love to just jump in a car or on a plane and just go somewhere. I’m glad you have the means to do it and I hope you do once we’re all able to leave our homes. What a peculiar year it’s been.

Last edited:
well done for keeping at it rio, don't get too impatient, it'll come in time if you put the work in. early on its so fucking important to keep it in the day. there is no point projecting about what your life will be like if you get x time clean because projecting too much actively undermines your chances of getting to x days clean.

how was your christmas with your family? i enjoyed mine though drank way too much on christmas day. surprise surprise!

have been thinking about this anhedonia business, firstly i've got really bad at taking my sertraline mostly cos i'm registered at a doctor at m parents and my mum moans if she needs to collect my prescriptions but i haven't wanted to get a new doctor with all this covid stuff going on. i am on sertraline to manage my ptsd but it would make sense that not taking it properly would impact my mood. secondly i think i just need to accept that my life will be a bit shit for a while. i've been fighting it which motivates me to numb myself. i can't really force myself to feel excited about stuff. all the activities i could do to alleviate boredom take more energy than i routinely have after working hard all day, though i know that not drinking will improve my energy levels.

i really wish i could get excited about leaving the fucking country, it is one of my main motivators in recovery, and cos of covid i haven't been anywhere- in the 4 months before lockdown my sister went to thailand with work and then the month before she did a road trip down the west coast of the states, i was supposed to have an adventure in june but it was cancelled. i'm gonna try and think of stuff that i can do on my own in winter lockdown that actually makes me feel excited but so far drawing a blank.

Thanks chinup. Christmas Day itself was great actually, it lined up with a high mood for me which was nice, but then I came crashing down Boxing Day and I'm only just starting to feel any kind of positivity slowly come back. Like you I'm just working on accepting that I won't be feeling fantastic all the time and that that's OK - but obviously that's easier said than done since we are so conditioned to be like "I don't like this feeling, I have to change it NOW" and it's going to take a lot of work to shift that mindset. Did you enjoy your Christmas?? It's one of those times where if you drink it's sanctioned to get wasted, so maybe enjoy that occasion/NYE and then make a plan to quit if you feel it's impacting your life?

Having run the gauntlet of cravings yesterday, I’ve made it out the other side to day 6. Not confident in my ability to sustain this long-term. Think I’m gonna ask for rehab when I go to court next week.
@chinup I would love to be able to travel right now. For the first time in a long while I can just about drop everything and go anywhere. Other than a few legal things I have almost zero obligations right now and wanderlust is tugging at my spinal cord. Though I guess location change hasn’t really worked for me in the past, I would love to just jump in a car or on a plane and just go somewhere. I’m glad you have the means to do it and I hope you do once we’re all able to leave our homes. What a peculiar year it’s been.

Rehab could be a great idea. Do the courts have that ability over here? I never hear of in the UK people having court-ordered rehab, but if that's an option then it would probably be perfect for you. Remember though that the intense cravings you're having at the moment aren't going to last forever!! If they did nobody would get clean. This isn't your new normal, this is just a period of adjustment that you will have to go through.

glad you had a good christmas! mine was good too. really liking my new fitness watch, its a bit tyranical (it told me to go to bed earlier!) but hope it will help me to get healthier.

also re my drinking- i don't crave gear when i drink. i was petrified i would, which is why i didn't drink for so long when i got into recovery. and until maybe a week or so before i came back to my parents i had been enjoying drinking, i'd stopped getting any euphoria from it though and it was starting to cause me a huge amount of stomach pain due to the erosion there caused by previous heavy drinking. i was having to drink like half a bottle of peptac just to drink without severe pain. thankfully the symptoms are significantly better since i got to my parents. gonna do dry january then see how i feel i think.

@cowboycurtis well done on getting to day 6! that is huge. definitely ask for rehab. a safe environment to work through all the emotional shit that gets thrown up once you start numbing will do the world of good.

Hey guys. I guess I needed another reminder of why I don't drink! Last night, my laptop broke (currently typing this on the iPad my Mum lent me) and it really put my mood into a tailspin. I hadn't backed up my files and I spend my whole life at home (which is my entire life in lockdown) on my laptop! I thought of using, but instead decided to drink since I know that using would be disastrous. It didn't give me what I was looking for - a few moments of giddiness in return for a really toxic feeling this morning. I passed out after my 9th beer so I didn't get a chance to drink any water, so I woke up this morning with a headache and feeling like I'd been poisoned. Been trying to shake off the lethargy all morning. I didn't even really enjoy it. It's such a shitty substance. I don't know why, but I don't get excitable & energetic from it like I did when I first started drinking. I go straight from tipsy to sloppy & a mess, and though there are brief periods of feeling kinda giddy it's overall just not a desirable experience.

Looking back, it was a stupid risk to take. I could have made my cravings worse. Thankfully this time I won the dice roll of "is alcohol going to make me smoke crack today", but I may not be so fortunate next time, so I'm really lucky that I didn't enjoy it enough to be compelled to do it again. I'm still counting this as day 14 - I am a million miles away from where I was on day 1, and since I still haven't touched my DOCs I'm not resetting the counter!! It sucks about my laptop but I'll deal with it. I really need to learn some healthier coping strategies. I'm getting better at dealing with my "normal" ups and downs, but when something unexpected & negative happens I tend to immediately reach for a substance, and I really have to control that tendency!!

@Rio Fantastic
Yes rehab is a common option for lower-level offenses in the States. I’ve done it twice so far in the last 10 years, with and without jail time mixed in. Would really prefer not to go to jail though.
I’m glad you kept it just to drinking, but I feel like I’m recognizing a pattern here. I think you were at about the same amount of time last time when you told us you drank and didn’t like it and I think you had a lapse shortly thereafter. I know it’s difficult to see sometimes when you’re caught up in it, but it sounds like you’re pretty mindful of you’re cravings right now. I hope you keep it to this one incident. I myself drank a bit around Christmas and, although I drink pretty heavily when I’m using, I don’t really enjoy alcohol alone and it has often been the cause of many a relapse. Day 8 for me! Hope everyone is having a good week!

oh fuck sorry about your laptop rio! i am glad you went to booze rather than dark and had a shitty time of it. hopefully you will learn not to reach to that. to get into long term recovery you need to be able to get through bad experiences without reaching to any chemical crutch. which absolutely sucks but its where emotional strength comes from.

how are you feeling today?

so fecked off about this snow. the cats are going mad not going outside- even the baby is half russian blue, a breed from northern russia, so should be in his element!! i didn't do all the activity that my watch tells me to yesterday cos how can you do 10k steps when its treacherous as fuck outside? sat at my boyfs playing bioshock on easy mode all day instead. but its even worse today and if i'm going to lose weight and live in the north of england i need to be able to cope with bad weather, so might try doing a youtube workout.

@Rio Fantastic
Yes rehab is a common option for lower-level offenses in the States. I’ve done it twice so far in the last 10 years, with and without jail time mixed in. Would really prefer not to go to jail though.
I’m glad you kept it just to drinking, but I feel like I’m recognizing a pattern here. I think you were at about the same amount of time last time when you told us you drank and didn’t like it and I think you had a lapse shortly thereafter. I know it’s difficult to see sometimes when you’re caught up in it, but it sounds like you’re pretty mindful of you’re cravings right now. I hope you keep it to this one incident. I myself drank a bit around Christmas and, although I drink pretty heavily when I’m using, I don’t really enjoy alcohol alone and it has often been the cause of many a relapse. Day 8 for me! Hope everyone is having a good week!

Congrats on the 8 days buddy! And man you're exactly right, I'd almost completely forgotten about that. Drinking has preceded a few relapses - I reach for alcohol to try and feel better, I realize that it doesn't work, so then the next time I reach for what I know DOES work. I am going to be mindful of that now. I've been preparing myself for around this time for the last 2 weeks, cos I have relapsed so many times on Day 13-15 that it's insane. I'm really looking forward to NYE being over. Then I'll have 17 days clean and be in a new year, armed with the knowledge of the mistakes I made in 2020 and without any "events" going on to worry about. I am super mindful of my cravings - I think I've made the mistake in the past of actively trying to suppress them, to force them out of my mind, and that just doesn't work, so when they occur now I'm letting them happen but meeting them with a realistic appraisal of what giving in to them would mean.

oh fuck sorry about your laptop rio! i am glad you went to booze rather than dark and had a shitty time of it. hopefully you will learn not to reach to that. to get into long term recovery you need to be able to get through bad experiences without reaching to any chemical crutch. which absolutely sucks but its where emotional strength comes from.

how are you feeling today?

so fecked off about this snow. the cats are going mad not going outside- even the baby is half russian blue, a breed from northern russia, so should be in his element!! i didn't do all the activity that my watch tells me to yesterday cos how can you do 10k steps when its treacherous as fuck outside? sat at my boyfs playing bioshock on easy mode all day instead. but its even worse today and if i'm going to lose weight and live in the north of england i need to be able to cope with bad weather, so might try doing a youtube workout.

I'm feeling OK today. I've managed to coax my laptop back into the last bit of life it has in it - as long as I keep it exactly still then I can get it to work. That and this iPad I've borrowed will have to do until I can get a new one, but it's better than nothing. You are exactly right about alcohol and reaching for a crutch generally. That's exactly why I've never been one of these people that refuse to see people on methadone/subutex as "clean" - there's a world of difference between taking a consistent dose of a substance (especially considering when you factor in tolerance you soon have very little if any actual perceptible effects from your normal dose) & specifically taking a substance to change how you feel.

Fortunately, it's not difficult for me to not drink again. I had 3 cans left when I passed out and I haven't even thought about them until I open the fridge. If it were a drug I actually enjoyed - crack & heroin goes without saying, but even with base, 3-MMC, weed when I used to smoke it, shit even diazepam & gabapentin - then I would have been thinking about it until I thought "fuck it" and gave in, but with alcohol I just don't desire it. I also didn't like how all of yesterday I was lethargic and didn't have much energy - I don't get traditional "hangovers", but I am way less motivated & energetic the day after, and that trade-off just isn't worth it. How have you been chinup???

So do you feel marijuana is completely out of the question for you then? I’ve found that it’s been helping me immensely now to suppress cravings and I didn’t really do it all that often when I was strung out. Though I could see how it might be triggering for some people, I think it’s better than relapsing. I’ve been doing some experimenting with mushrooms too. How do you feel about psychedelics in recovery? And I hear you there! I am so ready for this year to be over!

rio! how am i you ask? well i am fucking insane that is how i am. i am really glad you are enjoying the snow so that its not completely pointless. i watched a show called the art of persia on iplayer and i'd been to most of the places in it when we were allowed to go cool places. it made me feel a bit better to see how amazing the world is out there. not that it makes much of a difference when i'm stuck in here with my parents and two defective cats. i might try to see if my parents want to play a game, might pass at least 10 minutes of this fucking intolerably long day.

i really need to sort out my attitude to being stuck inside essentially on my own, cos obviously my parents aren't actual people and the cats barely count, because this is how its gonna be for a long while i think.

and how are you today?

@cowboycurtis i smoked weed every day for over 10 years. in fact i think i've failed at quitting weed more times than i've failed at quitting heroin. i only finally quit once i got properly stuck into the dark cos i just liked it way more. i can't smoke it anymore, it just kills me. but, i think if you can enjoy it then its certainly better than gear. as long as you don't do it daily cos as annoying as it is, you really do need to learn to live life on lifes terms.

See what does this mean exactly? Life on life’s terms. Don’t get me wrong. I entirely comprehend the sentiment behind the statement and I’m very familiar with NA/AA, but if weed is a part of your life and you responsibly deal with the obligations, both personal and professional, that life has in store for you, then isn’t that living life on life’s terms? I mean I guess you could say the same for heroin as a functioning addiction, but we all know that falls apart sooner or later. I guess if you don’t overdo it with weed and it doesn’t affect any aspect of your life negatively, which I think for most people is the case, then it ceases to become an addiction, technically speaking. I sometimes go through periods where I don’t smoke at all because it makes me anxious and paranoid, in fact I didn’t smoke for years before just recently starting up again.

Edit: Also I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone in the U.S. refer to it as gear. I don’t think I would even know what it was if I hadn’t been reading Bluelight for years. 🤔

So do you feel marijuana is completely out of the question for you then? I’ve found that it’s been helping me immensely now to suppress cravings and I didn’t really do it all that often when I was strung out. Though I could see how it might be triggering for some people, I think it’s better than relapsing. I’ve been doing some experimenting with mushrooms too. How do you feel about psychedelics in recovery? And I hear you there! I am so ready for this year to be over!

See what does this mean exactly? Life on life’s terms. Don’t get me wrong. I entirely comprehend the sentiment behind the statement and I’m very familiar with NA/AA, but if weed is a part of your life and you responsibly deal with the obligations, both personal and professional, that life has in store for you, then isn’t that living life on life’s terms? I mean I guess you could say the same for heroin as a functioning addiction, but we all know that falls apart sooner or later. I guess if you don’t overdo it with weed and it doesn’t affect any aspect of your life negatively, which I think for most people is the case, then it ceases to become an addiction, technically speaking. I sometimes go through periods where I don’t smoke at all because it makes me anxious and paranoid, in fact I didn’t smoke for years before just recently starting up again.

Edit: Also I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone in the U.S. refer to it as gear. I don’t think I would even know what it was if I hadn’t been reading Bluelight for years. 🤔

Fuck the 12 steps. According to the acolytes, me taking my 2mg of subutex a day is no better than when I was shooting heroin + coke every day. I don't mean to be hostile but I really can't stand the preachy, judgmental arrogance of many 12 step practitioners, pretending they have a monopoly on recovery. Their conception of the 12 steps can never be challenged. If you aren't doing the 12 steps and you relapse then they nod knowingly since of course, anybody not doing 12 steps isn't doing real recovery. If you are doing the 12 steps and you relapse, then they nod knowingly, since you must not have been "working a good program". The only people who are working a good program are those who stay sober. By definition, the 12 steps cannot be questioned. To suggest the 12 steps failed someone rather than someone failed at doing the 12 steps is heresy & entirely unthinkable to these people. The big book of AA wasn't handed down by God, it was influenced by a Christian recovery group, expanded upon by some guy tripping off scopolamine who managed to alter it just enough that people could attempt to deny its clear roots in Christian morality, and the quicker the public's perception of recovery can expand beyond AA and into the 21st century the more people will get clean, IMHO.

Haha okay, rant over. I wish I could still enjoy weed. I'm probably fortunate it turned on me when it did - shortly after I started taking heroin, weed just made me extremely negative and depressed. I used to love it and smoke it every day for years and then my brain chemistry changed and now if I take 2 drags I become miserable & feel brain-damaged. I have entertained the thought of when I'm healthy with real clean time giving it another try, but that's for the future. Right now I'm trying to reduce my vices so taking on a new one doesn't seem productive - the same reason I won't be drinking again.

Hope everyone is doing well and has a good New Years Eve. It's the 2nd year in a row I'm in early sobriety on New Years Eve, but at least I have a more compelling reason to be spending it alone this time with the pandemic & everything. I've set myself a bunch of recovery-oriented tasks to do today - I've written out some goals for 2021, I'm going to read over my 2020 journal paying close attention to the times just before relapsing to see if I can identify any patterns, I'm writing out some sobriety inspiration stuff from an old workbook and putting it at the start of my 2021 book, I've done some meditation and I'm going to be doing a Refuge Recovery meeting in about an hour. Tonight I'll be doing some more meditation and just relaxing, though I'll pay attention when the ball drops and cheer that this shitty year is finally over I guess!!

Hope everyone has a good NYE!

Ya I like going to a meeting, but any more than that and I just can’t get into it. A wee bit culty for my tastes, and I’ve given it more than an honest try. In fact, just the other day I was looking at some recovery/addiction memes on Reddit and like 1 in 10 were ones talking shit on buprenorphine. It really got to me. Almost had to make an account to reply.😒 Why would you ever do anything but encourage someone who is seeking help? It’s so backwards and goes against everything science clearly tells us is fact. Things like methadone and buprenorphine have given millions (?) of addicts the opportunity to lead a normal life and contribute to society. How is that even remotely a bad thing? Sure some might abuse methadone (especially) or buprenorphine, but they’re not in it for the right reasons usually anyway. And for the majority of addicts I doubt their daily dose gets them discernibly high in any way once they’ve been properly inducted. If it’s healthy and sustainable it ceases to be a textbook addiction. It is only dependence. “Suboxone isn’t sober!” God I fucking hate that saying. It’s not about the substance. It’s about the mindstate.

Edit: And Bill W. himself of all people did acid and then publicly reaped the benefits. Now it’s illegal and all of a sudden it’s on the no-no list for these hypocrites. You show me someone addicted to psychedelics and I’ll eat my dick (as John McAfee would say, or possibly do).

Last edited:
Ya I like going to a meeting, but any more than that and I just can’t get into it. A wee bit culty for my tastes, and I’ve given it more than an honest try. In fact, just the other day I was looking at some recovery/addiction memes on Reddit and like 1 in 10 were ones talking shit on buprenorphine. It really got to me. Almost had to make an account to reply.😒 Why would you ever do anything but encourage someone who is seeking help? It’s so backwards and goes against everything science clearly tells us is fact. Things like methadone and buprenorphine have given millions (?) of addicts the opportunity to lead a normal life and contribute to society. How is that even remotely a bad thing? Sure some might abuse methadone (especially) or buprenorphine, but they’re not in it for the right reasons usually anyway. And for the majority of addicts I doubt their daily dose gets them discernibly high in any way once they’ve been properly inducted. If it’s healthy and sustainable it ceases to be a textbook addiction. It is only dependence. “Suboxone isn’t sober!” God I fucking hate that saying. It’s not about the substance. It’s about the mindstate.

Edit: And Bill W. himself of all people did acid and then publicly reaped the benefits. Now it’s illegal and all of a sudden it’s on the no-no list for these hypocrites. You show me someone addicted to psychedelics and I’ll eat my dick (as John McAfee would say, or possibly do).

I agree!! I honestly think it's because these people think that the fact that they suffered with withdrawals is a virtue, and they are resentful of anybody who hasn't gone through cold turkey yet. If I'd had a horrific time coming off of heroin and then I'd brainwashed myself into believing that God had got me sober and then gone through the 12 steps, maybe I'd be resentful too when I saw people living productive, happy lives on Subutex/methadone. The fact of the matter is though is that substitution therapy revolutionized opiate treatment and has probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives and is the single most effective therapy for opiate addiction known to man. It's success rate is far, far higher than cold turkey + 12 steps, and I think the number of people who've overdosed after going cold turkey (and I bet a sizable portion of that group was actively involved in 12 step fellowships when they relapsed!) justifies not only their acceptance but their promotion. I think the barriers to access should be taken down as much as possible and it should be widely, easily and freely available for all who need it.

Happy New Year everybody. I didn't have a wonderful New Years Eve and still don't feel great today. Like I mentioned in the Recovery thread, last night about 90 minutes before midnight I see my ex-girlfriend's name come up on Facebook. I optimistically thought that maybe she wanted to talk again seeing as it's New Years Eve. The last thing she'd said to me prior to this was that she didn't think we should be friends. I open the message, and it turns out she'd messaged me to ask me to remove the picture I still had on my profile of us and then to ask when I'd pay her back the money I lent off her. Both perfectly reasonable requests, but why on New Years Eve? Couldn't she have waited a day or 2 to ask me? Fuck. I guess I'm still not fully over her like I thought I was. The more time I've spent apart from her the more I can logically see that we're incompatible, but when I talk to her I still get this sadness come over me. I feel like I'm being such a fucking pussy, but there it is.

So last night I ended up just vaping at my window, looking out at the fireworks. Got a couple of texts and I replied like I was OK, but really I just felt this sadness, and it wasn't all because of my ex. Part of it was that with my ex, but I think a more significant part of it was thinking back to how similar last New Years Eve was. I think last NYE I actually had a few more days clean than this, but it was a very similar amount of time. I was alone, making the same resolutions, planning to do the same fucking thing. The similarity just made me feel like 2020 may as well not have even happened for me with what I've actually achieved. Last NYE I was much more optimistic, and I managed to stay clean through all of January 2020, but then relapsed in the first week of February.

Reflecting on that made me feel pretty down, but I've turned it into determination. I am not going to make the same mistakes again this year, and I have learnt some lessons from last year!! I am going to type them here so I don't forget them.

1. No matter how stable I may start to feel, 1-2 months clean is NOWHERE NEAR long enough sober for a relationship. Twice now I've relapsed because of women - or, more accurately, my failure to cope with rejection or the normal trials of a relationship. I need to shelve the idea of getting into another one for at least a few months. I must focus on myself now or I won't be any good to anyone - as a friend, family member or boyfriend. I can't be any of those things if I'm using.

2. Sometime in the next month, I will probably start to feel really good. I'll feel optimistic, energetic, sharp, clear-headed. It will be tempting to make the mistake of considering that my new normal. It isn't! I have yet to have stayed clean long enough to come through the other side into true stability, even when I did 7 months in rehab. The good moods get longer, but the mood swings haven't resolved themselves. It's just a reprieve, and I am NOT going to forget that this year. Looking through my 2020 journal, it's clear that I fall when I get too complacent in my sobriety, too attached to the good mood I'm in. It's easy when I'm 40 days in to think that using is a million miles behind me and dismiss the thought of relapse as something far-out and impossible - this usually happens days before a relapse. I will not be making that same mistake again. I used to always relapse around 14 days, and that doesn't happen anymore because I'm prepared for the mood swings. I'm going to actively extend that preparation indefinitely so that I'm equipped to get through it when my mood does inevitably drop.

3. I tend to really actively pursue recovery in the first weeks/month of sobriety. Meetings all the time, disputing my thoughts, practicing coping strategies etc. Then around a month in, I let it slide. Recovery takes a backseat in my priorities because I feel so secure in myself. This is a huge mistake. I've realized that what I've been doing the past 17 days - the daily meetings, staying mindful, practicing the tools I'm learning - is what gets me that stability that I start taking for granted. I need to keep practicing it even and maybe especially when I start to feel better.

I'm ready to keep doing this work for as long as I have to in order to break this fucking cycle I've been stuck in. I'm encouraged by the fact that my mood has been not great, but yet I haven't seriously thought of using today. That encourages me.

Just want to thank and say Happy New Year to @yubacity @chinup and @cowboycurtis

Yuba & chinup, you guys have been in it for the long haul with me and I want to thank you for your continual support and encouragement. Curtis, you are newer but I love having you around to talk to - we are both in the early days and we can struggle together, brother! Here's to a better 2021 :)

happy new year rio! that sucks about your gf. i do agree that while the requests are reasonable, the timing is abominable. i'm glad you dealt with it though. it may be worth just blocking her if you're not over her. its harsh but i had to do it with one of my exes, every time he added a female friend i'd be convinced he'd slept with her (he was still kinda stringing me along with 'friends with benefits' style arrangement) and it hurt too much.

it sounds like you've used your time very productively, i'm impressed! you should keep a copy of what you've written here, especially about relapse and complacency and stuff. its so easy. its basically what got me onto problem drinking again too. definitely keep up the level of work you're doing now, its way way way too early to stop. recovery took more time than a full time job for me for about the first 9 months, basically until i started an actual full time job again. between NA, CGL, Buddhist centre, gym, therapy, recovery related reading. i didn't have time to use and i was putting in the groundwork of learning how to cope with feelings, regain my parents trust, address some very deep seated issues and i think that having put in that amount of effort for that long is what enabled me to maintain long term recovery.

the 12 steps aversion to maintenence pisses me off too- and i've heard old timers be pretty disingenuous about it 'i went to get help for opiates and they just prescribed me opiates!' making it sound utterly retarded when they must know, through meeting people on it in the rooms, that it can be a massively helpful step in getting your life back together. i would just ignore shit like that though tbh, really do take what's useful and leave the rest. i needed something as hardline as NA in early recovery and still do meetings though much less now its all on zoom. anything that didn't tell me i needed to completely abstain from all drugs would just have given me enough wiggle room to justify using. now i trust my own judgement a bit more and have more insight into my thought processes so i feel much more comfortable completely discounting a lot of what they say in NA but my experience with trying what seemed a few months back like a moderate alternative to complete abstinence and ending up stuck in a cycle of daily substance use that i don't enjoy again gives me a lot more sympathy with them.

@cowboycurtis re your question about life on life's terms- using a substance to numb yourself is actively trying to avoid life. so i think that you can genuinely use the way non addicts can, i.e. drink one evening every couple of weeks, the odd sesh on stimulants, and you can call it living life on lifes terms. we don't get that priveledge because we have shown ourselves incapable. that said, its not just about substance use, to me at least its about facing things head on. for example, my boyfriends university fees didn't get paid (his dad had said he would but went bankrupt) he received a phone call one day in december about it and did nothing, brushed it off. next july bailiffs were after him and he'd had about 2k in fees added. living life on life's terms would have involved dealing with that phone call, and would ultimately have been less stressful and costly. or, when my last job was getting so stressful i spent like 3 months crying nearly all the time and ended up scoring dark. i had to face up to the fact that if i didn't quit i would relapse fully, so i quit my job with nothing to go to in the middle of a fucking pandemic with no jobs being advertised. i didn't secure a new job until 2 weeks before my last job ended so i spent all summer with the possibility of being unemployed in a massive recession hanging over my head. i guess what i'm saying is iy means addressing problems head on, even if its scary, rather than taking what seems like the path of least resistance then suffering for it later.

Just want to thank and say Happy New Year to @yubacity @chinup and @cowboycurtis

Yuba & chinup, you guys have been in it for the long haul with me and I want to thank you for your continual support and encouragement. Curtis, you are newer but I love having you around to talk to - we are both in the early days and we can struggle together, brother! Here's to a better 2021 :)
Happy new year brother