• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mushrooms Subthread] Potentiation by Citrus Juice

Are the effects of mushrooms stronger taken with lemon- or orange juice?

• Yes

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
Tell me that anytime recently in PD has had anywhere near the bad vibes going around in the beginning of this thread, and I'll tell you that you're crazy =D

But I do agree that in the past short while it has increased slightly. Such is life and the flow of conversation.

Ismene said:
Pure placebo with a pinch of urban myth.

Last year they were saying orange juice brings you DOWN from a trip 8)

LOL! What is it with tripping and orange juice? Nearly every urban myth manages to squeeze (boom boom) it in somewhere =D

Xorkoth said:
Tell me that anytime recently in PD has had anywhere near the bad vibes going around in the beginning of this thread, and I'll tell you that you're crazy =D
You read the "meat" thread didn't you?
It actually made me move quite a few people I previously respected to the "idiot list".:(

the only truth in this is that as someone said, psilocybin is extracted more efficiently with L-ascorbate and that psilocybin is converted to psilocin under really acidic or alkaline conditions

Does lemon juice or citric acid have an effect on metabolism?

It's just I clicked on a link & was transported to that thread, which brought back memories of when someone (not his real user name, but who I could refer to as infinitedolt!) tried to claim such things here. He was passing off a glaring error as scientific proof that it worked (he said that blackcurrent juice has the highest levels of the flavanoid quercetin of any fruit juice - I had no problem with that - but then went on to say that it worked because quercetin was a MAOI on a par with harmala alkaloids etc - which it 24 carat bollocks). I fully accept that using citrus juice to extract the alkaloids from the mushrooms improves how much is actually available for use (something I regularly do with any plant alkaloidal source)

Now as far as I'm concerned, if anyone want's to believe such things, it's their perogative, but when they start trying to pass it of as scientific fact it pisses me off for 2 reasons

1) It's wrong, yet they could/would not see that they had got their facts wrong (god knows I tried...) which sort of makes a mockery of all the people dedicated to harm reduction, research etc

2) It makes a lot of the non-psychedelic using scientific community see all users as being wooly headed buffoons who have nothing of significance to contribute to science/pharmacology

and 3), (although I only said 2 things), because he was foolish enough to send me a PM saying I was full of shit just after I'd had a large dose of amphetamine... =D =D =D

Here endeth the resurrected rant! =D

Xorkoth said:
Wow, all these old resurrected threads I've been going through have pages and pages of spite-filled bickering! 8(

I think it's a natural reaction to people posting remarkable idiocy such as posited in this thread. Stupid drug myths are one of the main reasons boards such as this one exist, and some people get angry when the boards are used to promulgate more dumb myths.

I like lemon juice, even on its own dissolved in water without any psychedelics involved ;)

on a more serious note: since grapefruit juice inhibits certain liver enzymes and will therefore make benzodiapzepines (and DXM, if memory serves me right) stronger, does it also work on any psychedelics? are the same enzymes involved?

When I did mushrooms (1/8th) the first time, I soaked them in a bowl of lemon juice (to hide the shrooms taste), I used the juice like dipping sauce, ate the shrooms, and then drank the rest of the juice figuring it might have absorbed psilocybin or something. Well all I can say for the trip in terms of anything that might have been affected is, the come down was incredibly quick. The bulk of the real trip was short, it was only like 4 hours after I ate the mushrooms that I was sobered up. Plus it came on really quick like within 20 minutes I was feeling something. And I had had like a sandwich to eat a couple hrs earlier so I wasn't going totally on an empty stomach. So yeah, it's possible it could make it come on quicker and make the come-down much quicker as well, but I dont know for sure.

^ That's because citric acid in lemon juice turns the alkaloids in the mushrooms into salt form, which is required for them to dissolve in water (usually this process happens in the stomach, by hydrocloric acid). Once dissolved, they can readily be absorbed into the bloodstream. Faster absorption means shorter comeup, and also faster metabolism (which is why the trip is shorter this way).

Ximot said:
I like lemon juice, even on its own dissolved in water without any psychedelics involved ;)

on a more serious note: since grapefruit juice inhibits certain liver enzymes and will therefore make benzodiapzepines (and DXM, if memory serves me right) stronger, does it also work on any psychedelics? are the same enzymes involved?

CYP3A4 - that's the enzyme that turns ketamine :)D ) into norketamine :)( ), sooooo grapefruit juice will increase the half life (and duration) of ketamine

yea, grapefruit juice will potentiate dxm, converting more of it into dxo, or faster, or something like that.
citric acid/vitamin c seems to do a lot for drugs. it's nice to have on a roll. i've heard that it makes you roll harder and also does something for shrooms too, but idk.
who cares tho? isn't it good enough that there's an orgy in your mouth and everyone's cumming ice cold orange juice?

also prevents scurvy...

The most important question no one has answered is:

can this same effect be applied to LSD at all?

Can certain citric acids help LSD be more potent, kick in faster, and a stronger trip? Or is this some what unique to mushrooms....

I'd answer that but I reckon you're too lazy to read my reply anyway. :p =D

Lemon juice doesn't work but Ribena does. But be careful, it's got to be Ribena LIGHT. If you take old fashioned Ribena and mushrooms it will induce you to break wind and sneeze at the time which will make you do a backflip.

trip.more said:
Again I say..........

I HATE lemon juice threads

Lets have a LIME juice thread instead to spare your feelings