• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Deaths - Victoria

If you are determined to find mushrooms, I can only offer some advice. I am not a biologist nor do I know much about other areas outside SE Queensland.
Firstly, find a paddock, field, or yard that is known for your type of mushrooms. This is not necessarily as difficult as it sounds. A good indicator of a potential mushi field is cows. Goldtops love to grow in cow shit. Meanies are rare round here (Qld) although I have come across them on two occasions, growing on steep north east facing slopes. Goldies also like grassy gentle NE slopes.
Secondly don't take anything that doesn't go blue, AT ALL!! Don't get desperate because you can't find anything positively identifiable. As far as I know only psilocin /psilocybin containing mushrooms turn blue, but I’m not certain. If something sort of looks blue…. yeah maybe if you hold it in the light …..could be blue ……
DON’T TAKE THE RISK - THROW IT AWAY.
Thirdly, just because you've had em before, don't assume the potency will be the same. Ten weak ones may do the same as one strong one. And size doesn't necessarily indicate strength either, although it could be said buttons are usually stronger than older shrooms
A good book I once saw was called something like
"Edible Mushrooms [fungi?] of Australia”. sorry don’t know author
It listed the toxic varieties, including the "White Lady" toadstool which is around these parts. As they are easy to mistake when they get old – dropped spores, turned brown – you need to be really careful. Often the paddock you’ve previously found gold tops in will only have toadstools next visit.
As BT has said, it aint good advice to suggest people eat anything as potentially dangerous as an unidentified mushroom.
A little side note, I had my own fairly wild period with goldies, and have known many who have also, most of us having benefited from the experiences.
But I have seen people suffer severe psychological problems after tripping on goldies. Maybe they were all predisposed in some way, but I am convinced mushies for some people can fuck them up – big time – and long term.
On the other hand there are those who prefer the drug in really big doses. Terrance McKenna claimed he took 20-40mg + of psilocybin at a time, in a float tank! He did die of a brain tumor, but that was apparently unrelated. Then there’s the old hippies who hate MDMA (yuk synthetics!!) and instead prefer the blue liquid prepared from concentrated mushie juice…..err.. but that’s another story….
Dtd, this may be the place to go if you wish to identify unknown fungi .
“Fungi for identification can be submitted by arrangement. A charge of $5 is levied. Please note that information on edibility cannot be provided.”
fungus identification

the Victorian deaths are said to have been from death caps (Amanita phalloides).
easier to misidentify are Gallerina shrooms (also deadly) which grow with P.Subaeruginosa in Vic, they look very similar.
As the above posts emphasise picking the wrong shrooms can be deadly. staining blue and purple (not brown) spore prints are a start towards identification. Eating any shroom that stains blue without checking other characteristics is not failsafe as i have heard that inocybe shrooms stain blue and are poisonous...so also look at pics of shrooms that grow in your area and get details of their features, note P.cubensis (gold tops)grows in cow shit is sub tropical and occurs in QLD and NSW. In southern states P.Subaeruginosa are common (copper tops though ppl call the young ones gold tops) is found on wood debris.
The above is nowhere complete if u still want to pick wild mushrooms of any type do more research eg at www.shroomy.org and erowid, take spore prints, go with someone who know what they are doing, still dont trust that persons judgement and satisfy urself that EVERY single shroom is safe, If in doubt chuck them out.then check them again.
On an another note i agree with phase_dancer for ppl who are predisposed shroom seem to trigger problems more often than say LSD. This not based on medical evidence but on ppl i have known. I do know that high level shroom trips are harder to control than LSD ie to shake a recurring bad thought pattern etc....so enjoy in moderation (if they are legal in your area of course :).
[ 01 May 2002: Message edited by: sanpedro666 ]
[ 01 May 2002: Message edited by: sanpedro666 ]
[ 03 May 2002: Message edited by: sanpedro666 ]