European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

mp3 players NOT by Apple!

Si Dread

Bluelighter
Posting in the Guilty Pleasures thread reminded me to ask the forum this!

I've got an old mp3 player by Iriver that is really cool, a little one. It stopped talking to my lappy years ago & the music selection is stuck on there but I still like it.

I'm thinking about getting a new one now though, but didn't see much on the Iriver website that interested me. I don't really want an Ipod coz everyone's got an Ipod & I'm not that fond of touch screens...

Anyone know any other reputable manufacturers of mp3 players, or any non-Apple models I might be interested in?

Cheers :)
S

I just use my phone, but then it's a Galaxy and it does have a touch screen.

I bought some Chinese iPod looking thing from a Nigerian fellow down the market for my grandma and she loves it, hasn't exploded yet which is a plus. Think it was something silly like 15 euros

I still think the iRiver H100 series are the best players ever made. Proper audiophile technology. Sadly no longer produced, but I keep mine and my brother's running with spare bits bought off ebay. Can run Rockbox and be upgraded to capacities of 240GB and possibly more. I'm about to put a 128GB solid state disk in mine, should increase the battery life too. I find it bizarre that capacities of players are going down rather than up. Those new Creative devices are only 16GB. They support FLAC but you'll only get about 15 FLAC-encoded albums on there.

Oh, I see you already have an iRiver! Get a 2nd hand one and a new battery off eBay.

Last edited:
FUCK KNOCK YOU ARE COMPLETELY CORRECT ABOUT SOMETHING THAT I CAN ABSOLUTELY CONFIRM TO BE THE TRUTH! You are not going to believe what a nightmare I've been through trying to get this posted in this thread (I got REALLY excited) I'll try and explain. FUCK ME, (and I'm using block capitals as you well know is permitted when speaking the undeniable TRUTH I've seen it done).

Anyway the point is it may not be beyond repair and is (TRUTH remember (knock a quick question mate, would you have used capitals for 'remember'? I'm still learning)) the greatest player that will ever exist.

Anyway I saw this post when trying to pretend to be doing something other than on BL for a bit, when I see the iRiver thing and get all excited and attempt to post this:

Don't open that NSFW thing if it's not a H100 through to H140, (including knock, they changed the names remember, I know you do<3) iHP100 - iHP140 or a H320 through to H340 it will serve you no purpose. Knock understands getting all excited at a thing like this so will officially pardon me for anything that could be deemed as offensive.

NSFW:
Hi, could you please tell me what the model number of the iriver is?

There will be a point to this if you reply with what just happens to be the same or in the same family as mine.

If so you may open the following: wait! Please! Because if it isn't then don't open it OK. I wish I could have been some assistance to you. <3 Take care etc. hope you get this sorted soon etc. <3

NSFW:
The old iRiver HDD multi codec jukebox starting 2004 in the USA not sure when they arrived on these shores are the best players ever made and I should know. I have one. Please tell me it is, because if it is, I will move heaven and earth to assist you in getting your player alive again my new favourite best mate stranger on the internet type person you. Why? Because if it is the one I'm thinking of (OK I'll post the model numbers: right in the USA they started iHP-120 for the 20gb capacity and iHP-140 for the 40gig ones, they then changed their name to just H120 and H140, these were monochromatic screened (who cares? Not like I'm going to be looking at small stuff when it's in my pocket listening to tunes) devices (2004 remember) that were followed by the coloured screen H320 and the H340 models that were identicle in feature/ hardware specs but just had a colour screen which may in this case be slighty worse due to the coloured screen draining the battery a tiny bit quicker) it is the greatest multi codec device that will ever exist.

What I wanted to say is if it's one of the aforementioned models then it is not beyond saving unless it's dust, but if not (you didn't state if the player was infact ground to elementary particles or not so I don't know) I believe it can and SHOULD be returned to full working order because you will not find a better player.

Ok I'm going to refrain from waffling on about why it's the greatest player ever in existence and I could and I would given half the chance (I'll PM you duplicate PM 's every fifteen minutes or so until you respond (favourably) because the information it contains is that IMPORTANT). Would you be a dear and check in the bit up there near the top where I mention the model numbers and check see if yours is one of those I mentioned before reading any of what has just proceeded this, then edit your first post so I will see it before I make this post that could possibly be a complete waste of anyone's time me starting in the first place. Thank you. <3

Shit you guys I'm so excited, really I know shit about this and I aint faking or lying or trolling like I ussaully do, not that I do obviously. I REALLY, hope it is. Please say it is. What do you think? Is it the player I'm thinking it is?

Remember opening that box is only to be done if the model numbers match. So when you post it I'll edit my post accordingly. Thank you.

Last edited:
Creative are very very good when it comes to sound quality. They are in the sound business specifically really, after all.

Creative are very very good when it comes to sound quality. They are in the sound business specifically really, after all.

Just because they are "in the sound business" doesn't mean they are "very very good". They make audio equipment for various market segments, but mostly low to mid-end. For example, they make really cheap sound cards that are really fairly shite. They also make more expensive sound cards but they don't make the best. I had one of their (moderately) expensive AWE cards a while back, and it was OK but the M-Audio Delta series are much better, and there are other high end manufacturers which make even better sound cards. (EDIT: RME is another manufacturer I was thinking of but couldn't remember their name.)

Ben: I share your EXCITEMENT but you express it so MUCH BETTER than I could.

Last edited:
Sandisk Sansa Clip. Cheap and cheerful but sound good, easy to use and weigh next to nothing. You can also stick a 32GB microSD card in and make them 40GB. Not bad for something the size of a matchbox.

When not using my phone I use an 8 gig Sony walkman MP3, I also just got a Phillips that I love. What specs do you need in a player?

Just because they are "in the sound business" doesn't mean they are "very very good". They make audio equipment for various market segments, but mostly low to mid-end. For example, they make really cheap sound cards that are really fairly shite. They also make more expensive sound cards but they don't make the best. I had one of their (moderately) expensive AWE cards a while back, and it was OK but the M-Audio Delta series are much better, and there are other high end manufacturers which make even better sound cards. (EDIT: RME is another manufacturer I was thinking of but couldn't remember their name.)

Very true, upon reading specifics, though just IMO on my own usage, knockantor. Now you've made me blubber. Bumhole.

origanally posted by Knock in a numbered post. (sorry effed up the quote thing so tried to make amends)

I know you do, because you must, but that last bit really is being daft and you know it. Which is why I adore you so <3

When not using my phone I use an 8 gig Sony walkman MP3, I also just got a Phillips that I love. What specs do you need in a player?

Good sound quality, easy use, large storage (I'd want at least 16 preferably 32 gig now I reckon) & must be FUCKING LOUD to drown out my tinitus =D Not hard to get a device louder than a Ipod huh :)

Thanks for replies folk!

Sandisk Sansa Clip. Cheap and cheerful but sound good, easy to use and weigh next to nothing. You can also stick a 32GB microSD card in and make them 40GB. Not bad for something the size of a matchbox.

This what I have, a 4gig sansa clip player, with a 32gig microSD card in. Also means if battery runs out I can stick the card in me missis's and rob hers for the day, amd won't lose your tunes when the player fucks up.

loads smaller than a matchbox too roganjosh!

player was about 20 quid, card was even less I think, 36gig player for less than 40quid.Nice and small too.

I use mine a lot, in cars and vans, out in the rain fishing or working, its been out on a boat a few times in rouch seas and salty winds, or down the allotment, its had a few drops (I've got a little rubber sleeve for it that gives some protection) but it is very reliable.

Just drag and drop to change files around.....simple, no frills, sounds fine but probably not to an audiophile, I liste to mine in car/vam, sometimes fishing, sometimes out walking, so super high end sound qual would be wasted.

The headphones are, obviously, shit.

I had a Creative, and so did me missis, but ater 12 months they both just fucked up and broke...withing a month of each other.

EDIT make sure you always set up your player's region, the first time you turn it on, as "rest of the world" and not EU/UK as they have limits imposed on sound levels.

EDIT make sure you always set up your player's region, the first time you turn it on, as "rest of the world" and not EU/UK as they have limits imposed on sound levels.

That's some good advice for me, that is! Nice one :)

Iriver H120 with Rockbox is awesome!

Hi Mela you are an unbelievable mother fucker (in a good sense) of the highest order. <3 <---they don't go out to anyone I'll let you know. But may I suggest you capitalise the word I highlighted in bold for you with some considerable speed please, if Knock see's that he's blow his nut, he would have to forgive you of course because the statement is correct. It needs the added emphasis.

I can only imagine something terrible must have happened to your hearing because you don't use it anymore. (Unless you keep it in some kind of shrine, which is good work, make this clear next time please so Knock can avoid a serious cardiac event) I'm sorry you lost the ability to appreciate music in it's best possible sounding form. I am truly sorry and deeply sad down to my stomach and beyond to hear that you will not ever again experience this again. PM me if you feel you need to talk about this, I know I would. I will not brag about how good my player sounds at all, not once.

Joking aside, which I'm not and never would? I paid £240 pounds for mine in Vegas, true in 2004. The store and every store we could drive to was sold out, same for the iPod but that's there fault. The iPod was also £240 at this time. I had to argue my left bollock off at the store to demand they give me the one that was hooked up as a display model (greasy fingers, bashed about, etc.) I was not walking out without that thing, I tell you. My Missus started pulling all the big guns like women can do you kbnow all kind of emotional bullshit stuff designed to confuse and destroy the recipient of said abuse. We got it though without the proper box, managed all the cables, two of them a usb cable standar one and the charger which I needed an adaptor for. Get this, I have not replaced one single part in the thing, you can and it's easy, it works today as good as it did when I bought it back in 2004 (some years ago) How many first generation iPod's can claim this? If they are still functional how much would they sell for on ebay, I don't know or care to be honest but have a look how much one of those iRivers go for on ebay. With a little bit of special powersTM BRIMZ-CORP I reckon I could get back my £240. Really.

Knock this is going to make you want to set up a smash and grabs at my Brother's house with a select few of your gangster crew, because he has the H340 with prettier colour screen but slightly less pleasing on the eye design. He paid a packet for it second hand long after they had gone out of production. He had to have one because I showed him mine.

Right I'm going to make Knock a bit moist. Optical line-in & out. I mean what the fuck? That's still the best digital audio transfer format today. Xbox has one so does the PS3, any A/V amp worth even half it's weight will have one maybe two. Optical fibre can carry audio information in a high bitrate to at least six separate channels in one cable.

I have made my point quiet clear.

<3

Also I had the most amazing experience when the iPods starting getting complete system complete and unrepairable failure suprisingly soon after the warranty expired. I fucking wept like a baby and fell back onto the ground and thanked everything for this moment. There is not one single lie in any of that.

It's worth mentioning that the iRiver H1x0 devices are pretty good.

Rockbox is also an excellent replacement operating system. It doesn't just work on iRivers, though, it'll work on a range of devices including Cowon, Archos, Sandisk and Philips devices - but many others too, including those Apple thingies.

One of the best things about Rockbox is it has features suitable for people with vision impairment (i.e. the blind or partially sighted); it'll read the menu options to you. I haven't tried those features myself but it's one of the reasons I put it on my brother's H140, he can see OK just now but as his disease (MS) progresses his sight will get worse too. Another advantage of the iRiver for him is that it has proper buttons to press, as his fine motor control is not the best and will only become worse. I don't think he'd get on well with these swipy touchy new-fangled things.

I'm putting in my 128GB SSD right now, as I type!

Hey third eye squeegee, another EADDer of impeccable taste and discernment!

creative_zen_stone_crave_handson.jpg

if you don't need anything serious this baby is like £18 off ebay for the 2gb version.

Done - and a bit extra ;)
some minor issues with hard drive noise being picked up

Yes OK you have me there OK there was an issue with the perfect one that it did when using the built in microphone and recording audio files as you would a dictation machine the HDD spinning up would be captured at quite a high recording level. This is true. However using the line in you could connect a decent microphone, and it was bundled with a stereo enabled clip on bootleg friendly microphone which completely eradicates that issue. You are correct. That did happen. Happy now. My day is ruined. Love you though <3

Knock? Is it possible to fit a solid state or flash style storage device to this that are aware of? Knock is going to save the day, he always does. Watch. It's some kind of voodoo shit I swear. <3

I used to go to gigs with it in my pocket with the mic sticking clipped on to my top and try and stand as central as I possible could at gigs to the stereo image and take the gig home with me. I never resold them or trading them or whatever they were to relive a night out with that bird that hangs out round here. Often we would just go over the file to get an accurate reminder of the set list, doesn't that do you head in. Don't answer it must. When you can't remember what the second song that was played when walking out of a gig you just saw then. Anyway <3

Last edited:
Knock? Is it possible to fit a solid state or flash style storage device to this that are aware of? Knock is going to save the day, he always does. Watch. It's some kind of voodoo shit I swear. <3

You'll like this, not a lot, but you'll like it.

Yes it is, here are people talking about it and doing it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/471138/iriver-ihp-140-with-128gb-ssd

I'm having a bit of trouble getting mine working but it's because this player I have has faulty memory or something. It runs the stock firmware but throws an error if you run Rockbox. Unfortunately the stock firmware will not use these SSDs. I am right now trying to diagnose the hardware problem, as I have two boards from two different iRivers (don't know if they're H100, H120, H140 or what, I'm about to find out though as I've downloaded all the technical docs from this handy website: http://fvd.ru/?go=drivers&folder=iRiver\Circuit diagram\H series ). Hopefully I can build a Frankenstein's iRiver.

And that's magic.

Last edited: