• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

mirtazapine could diminish effects of alcohol or other substances?

gmz34

Bluelighter
when I started to take mirtazapine, I was not feeling alchol same strength as before.

do you experience something like this ? I am now quiting this medicine I have been tapering it and I wantto enjoy alcohol like before. I am at 3mg I feel great. I guess it could even diminish caffeine effects but I dont know %100

I don't recommend drinking alcohol together with antidepressants, since this way the ADs lose their effectiveness. I wish I had known this sooner. Sertraline and venlafaxine made me want to drink all day and my tolerance was very high.

Do you take only mirtazapine or venlafaxine as well (California Rocket Fuel)? Just out of curiosity.

I don't recommend drinking alcohol together with antidepressants, since this way the ADs lose their effectiveness. I wish I had known this sooner. Sertraline and venlafaxine made me want to drink all day and my tolerance was very high.

Do you take only mirtazapine or venlafaxine as well (California Rocket Fuel)? Just out of curiosity.

Thank you for your answer. I am just taking remeron and I have been tapering it.
I also quited efexor 4-5 months ago I guess efexor more difficult to quit than remeron.
yes you are right ssri and snri makes your tolerance high and I dont feel hangover from alcohol

Thank you for your answer. I am just taking remeron and I have been tapering it.
I also quited efexor 4-5 months ago I guess efexor more difficult to quit than remeron.
yes you are right ssri and snri makes your tolerance high and I dont feel hangover from alcohol

And how many weeks do you have to finish your taper? Maybe it's worth waiting a bit to drink alcohol, although a night of alcohol is not sooooo bad either. Honestly, I'd say it's up to you. I think the only time I liked drinking was when I was taking antidepressants. Very weird. Now I only drink wine and beer very rarely.

Did you feel that the mirtazapine / venlafaxine combo helped you with something?

Yeah, people say venlafaxine is very hard to quit but I didn't have a problem quitting either. In fact, my doctor had put me on a taper and when I was going on 75mg. daily, I just quit it cold turkey. :LOL: I didn't feel any weird withdrawal effects.

And how many weeks do you have to finish your taper? Maybe it's worth waiting a bit to drink alcohol, although a night of alcohol is not sooooo bad either. Honestly, I'd say it's up to you. I think the only time I liked drinking was when I was taking antidepressants. Very weird. Now I only drink wine and beer very rarely.

Did you feel that the mirtazapine / venlafaxine combo helped you with something?

Yeah, people say venlafaxine is very hard to quit but I didn't have a problem quitting either. In fact, my doctor had put me on a taper and when I was going on 75mg. daily, I just quit it cold turkey. :LOL: I didn't feel any weird withdrawal effects.
yes me too. When I use antidepresants alcohol becomes more enjoyable for me.
mirtazapine and venlafaxine combo ony done some weight gains on me.
I was using it for neuropathic pain it didnt help that purpose.
I was 60 kg before the medications, now I am 83kg :D.
I cant even gain weight before I didnt see my up to 70kg in my life.
if you wantto try this combo you can do but it makes your body easy tired maybe ony venlafaxine is more good than combo I guess.
I am now 1 mg mirtazapine I will use it one week then I will quit all. I used mirtazapine for 1.5 years 15mg at nights.

The venlafaxine/mirtazapine is known as "California Rocketfuel" due to its relatively potent effect in getting the California out of the blues.

Mirtazapine reduces the effect of serotonergic stimulants and psychedelics, mostly. It might reduce the effect of releasing agents due to some noradrenergic competition but perhaps not.

Shouldn't have a huge impact on GABAergics but it might reduce the perception of hangover due to its potent antagonism of 5HT3 (one of the barf receptors).

yes me too. When I use antidepresants alcohol becomes more enjoyable for me.
mirtazapine and venlafaxine combo ony done some weight gains on me.
I was using it for neuropathic pain it didnt help that purpose.
I was 60 kg before the medications, now I am 83kg :D.
I cant even gain weight before I didnt see my up to 70kg in my life.
if you wantto try this combo you can do but it makes your body easy tired maybe ony venlafaxine is more good than combo I guess.
I am now 1 mg mirtazapine I will use it one week then I will quit all. I used mirtazapine for 1.5 years 15mg at nights.

Man. I couldn't tolerate that weight gain, but I have trouble with eating disorders and stuff. I've gained about the same 10-13 kilos now thanks to my opioid withdrawal period and fuckl! how I hate it! During my sertraline treatment (2011-2015), I also gained quite a bit of weight. It's a fairly common side effect of all antidepressants. I think it's a price you have to pay for a little happiness hahaha. :LOL:

I'm going to start with venlafaxine first and if I don't see much progress I'll add a mirtazapine or wellbutrin (I've read some really good comments on this combo).

I wonder if when you finish taking the Mirtazapine, you will have cravings to drink alcohol? :unsure:

Man. I couldn't tolerate that weight gain, but I have trouble with eating disorders and stuff. I've gained about the same 10-13 kilos now thanks to my opioid withdrawal period and fuckl! how I hate it! During my sertraline treatment (2011-2015), I also gained quite a bit of weight. It's a fairly common side effect of all antidepressants. I think it's a price you have to pay for a little happiness hahaha. :LOL:

I'm going to start with venlafaxine first and if I don't see much progress I'll add a mirtazapine or wellbutrin (I've read some really good comments on this combo).

I wonder if when you finish taking the Mirtazapine, you will have cravings to drink alcohol? :unsure:
When I quit it totally I will write here

When I quit it totally I will write here

I think you will have a few cravings, as when I finished my antidepressant treatment, I kept drinking for a few months until I finally stopped drinking and had no more cravings. From those years until now, I don't think I've ever gotten drunk.

Actually theres no interaction between Mirtazapine and Alcohol, completely different pharmacology. I wouldn't worry too much.

It stops so many drugs from working, apart from ketamine, benzos and opioids, so all uppers and psycadelics, I'm on 30mg of mirtazapine now, I don't drink often at all, but I've not noticed alcohol being weaker, food tastes so good though, mirtazapine munchies are real lol, I only seem to keep weight on if I take mirtazapine, it drops off me when I stop taking them, as I've stopped to try and trip, can't seem to trip though or when I have a break from them when the sedative effect wears off, I use benzos to come off, but every time I stop I get depressed again and it takes so long when I start them up again, it's not really worth stopping to get high, or drunk if you're on them for depression as your depression might return

Good luck though if you can see it through

I am now 1 mg mirtazapine

How did you get down to 1mg, do you get the liquid where you live? We don't in the UK

all that mirtazapine affected for me was serotonin psychs. not nearly to the same extent as ssris. if i put 24 hours between my mirtazapine dose and lsd it still worked as expected.

if i put 24 hours between my mirtazapine dose and lsd it still worked as expected

I was reading online and saw a chart and it said 2 weeks for mirtazapine and 6 weeks for SSRI and SNRI, but everyone's different, I don't see how it's 2 weeks as it's half life works out to be out of your system in 3 days, but 2 weeks is what every thing I read points to, I'm sure I used to just come off for 3 days though back when I went raving, maybe after 3 days MDMA etc works a bit but and as time goes on MDMA will work much better, then after 2 weeks it works as well as it would on someone that hasn't took mirtazapine at all

The only thing I find Mirtazapine useful for is sleep. Oh and its good at bringing u down from Cocaine lol.

I've been on 30mg for years and I probably dont need it anymore.

It stops so many drugs from working, apart from ketamine, benzos and opioids, so all uppers and psycadelics, I'm on 30mg of mirtazapine now, I don't drink often at all, but I've not noticed alcohol being weaker, food tastes so good though, mirtazapine munchies are real lol, I only seem to keep weight on if I take mirtazapine, it drops off me when I stop taking them, as I've stopped to try and trip, can't seem to trip though or when I have a break from them when the sedative effect wears off, I use benzos to come off, but every time I stop I get depressed again and it takes so long when I start them up again, it's not really worth stopping to get high, or drunk if you're on them for depression as your depression might return

Good luck though if you can see it through

How did you get down to 1mg, do you get the liquid where you live? We don't in the UK
you can make your own solution.
30 mg pill 30 ml water. 5ml of this soution is equal 5mg mirtazapine.
you should have syringe for dosing. I made my solution like that it works well

Last edited:
you should have syringe for dosing. I made my solution like that it works well

Never thought to do it that way as didn't think it would dissolve or be equal etc, I've cut the 15mg in half before but once you try and half a half it doesn't snap equally, think I'll be on them for the long haul, but if and when I decide to come off I'll remember that thanks, I did ask my doctor for the liquid once and she looked at me like I was mad said you can't get liquid, you can though, see my anxiety goes against me, she thought I was anxious about stopping them, doctors seem to think you can drop from 30mg to 15mg then stop, I'd like these doctors get themselves onto medication then just stop and see how hard it actually is

Never thought to do it that way as didn't think it would dissolve or be equal etc, I've cut the 15mg in half before but once you try and half a half it doesn't snap equally, think I'll be on them for the long haul, but if and when I decide to come off I'll remember that thanks, I did ask my doctor for the liquid once and she looked at me like I was mad said you can't get liquid, you can though, see my anxiety goes against me, she thought I was anxious about stopping them, doctors seem to think you can drop from 30mg to 15mg then stop, I'd like these doctors get themselves onto medication then just stop and see how hard it actually is
yes you are %100 right. quiting medicines are really hard sometimes.
good luck.

Yes with a little ingenuity you can taper at a very slow rate. You can also buy a milligram scape and calculate the gross weight relative to the net weight and proceed accordingly.

I was once on 60mg of mirtazapine a day and have long since stopped. Its funny since I had no business on it as I wasn't depressed (though antiserotonergics help anxiety quite a bit).

some anti depressants actually increase the high but of course i dont reccomend it. lucky to be alive cos of my cocksucker dr

I was once on 60mg of mirtazapine a day and have long since stopped. Its funny since I had no business on it as I wasn't depressed (though antiserotonergics help anxiety quite a bit)

60mg is crazy I thought the maximum was 45mg, how long did it take you to be on that dose, did you start much lower?

If I go above 30mg I get manic and it don't help sleep as good though, I used to get manic on 30mg but after 22.5mg stopped helping me I've gone up and this time it's not made me manic as my body must of got used to it, so maybe at one point I'll be on 45mg

I've been on it for sleep, anxiety and depression, only one that works out of about 15 different medications