• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Methadone quit plan

sillygames

Greenlighter
I need a plan, to finally stop methadone, but I don't know where to start.

I've been using methadone for about 6 years this time. I'm currently on 17.5ml from a starting dose of about 80ml at the beginning. For the last couple of years though I've been on about 20/25ml so nothing too big.

I recently tried to stop at 20ml but that didn't work. I realise now that I need to get much lower.

Does anyone have any experience of stopping it successfully? How did you do it? I've tried many times over the years but always ended up going back because I can't handle the withdrawal. Maybe I haven't got low enough?

Any advice? TIA

I tried stopping methadone at 15mg and ended up on fentanyl so i went back to methadone.
I microdosed from methadone to suboxone from a higher dose then did a quick sub taper.
The bermese method is basically painless. When you get to the point you stop methadone you get very mild symptoms for a day or 2.

Or you could just decrease the methadone but go down to a very small dose(under 5mg)

Best of luck to you

Thanks for your reply.

What is the Bermese method? I can't get subs. I buy the methadone from a friend, I'm not prescribed.

I need a plan, to finally stop methadone, but I don't know where to start.

I've been using methadone for about 6 years this time. I'm currently on 17.5ml from a starting dose of about 80ml at the beginning. For the last couple of years though I've been on about 20/25ml so nothing too big.

I recently tried to stop at 20ml but that didn't work. I realise now that I need to get much lower.

Does anyone have any experience of stopping it successfully? How did you do it? I've tried many times over the years but always ended up going back because I can't handle the withdrawal. Maybe I haven't got low enough?

Any advice? TIA

Yes, I did a methadone taper successfully. OK, it took about 15 years of relapses and varying doses over the years, but the trick is to not rush it. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that when you get down to 20mg, you've cracked it, because 9 times out of ten, you haven't.

I had to reduce to 1mg per day before I was comfortable with jumping off. The latter stages are mainly psychological, but psychological addiction is harder to beat than physical dependence.

Just take it slowly and leave at least a month between reductions, and you will get there.

Thanks for your reply.

What is the Bermese method? I can't get subs. I buy the methadone from a friend, I'm not prescribed.
It's microdosing from methadone/fentanyl/heroin to suboxone.
As said above just go slow, I went down 1mg a week or 2. I would recommend going to 1mg before you stop. Twice I stopped at 6 and 15 and relapsed on fentanyl of all things and it's because I rushed it.
Not going to lie you will feel but very mild

Thanks for your reply.

Subs you can get from a doctor as easily as you could from the street (at least in the USA, near major cities)

They mostly accept cash instead of insurance, so it's expensive, but they are very motivated to get new patients, and basically all you need to qualify is being an addict and having money.

Suboxone is much, much milder than methadone, and most people find it only covers withdrawals at less than 20-30mg methadone per day. But most importantly: never ever take subs with methadone in your system. You will have to wait 2-7 days after a dose of methadone before you can safely take suboxone/buprenorphine, or you will suffer agonizing withdrawals beyond what you thought possible.

Also, if you are in the USA and near any major city, methadone clinics are very easy to get into. Going every morning is a good way to taper.

That said, another useful tool is loperamide. It is cheap and OTC. It can cut maybe 20-40% off of withdrawals. It's very useful. Weed edibles are my go-to, but some people get anxiety so YMMV