• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

methadone dosage

kkgb1035

Bluelighter
for a first time user of methadone how many mg should i take?
also how long will it last? if i took he same amount the day after will i get the same effects or will i need to take a stronger dosage?

thank you

for a first time user of methadone how many mg should i take?
That depends on if you have an opioid tolerance and what you are hoping to achieve by taking methadone.

also how long will it last?
You can figure this out by first learning the half-life of methadone. It's listed on the wikipedia page for methadone and in the "Bioavailability/Half-life MEGA Thread" which can be found in the OD Directory as linked in my signature. The half-life gives the time for half of the drug to get broken down and a logarithmic function.

if i took he same amount the day after will i get the same effects or will i need to take a stronger dosage?
You'll see that methadone is quite long lasting and will actually build up if dosed daily. Check out the methadone megathreads which are also located in the OD Directory for lots more info.

You should know that methadone doesn't always get people high like other opiates. Every time I would take it I wouldn't get high, but my boyfriend gets high just about every time he takes it. I guess it just depends on the person.

I read an article on people overdosing on methadone because they don't have a tolerance to opiates, and after the high wears off they think they should re-dose, but a lot of times thats a pretty dangerous thing do to, because of the half-life. Just be careful, methadone is a pretty strong drug. I actually ended up in the hospital in a coma for three days the first time I took it, but I also took heroin with it.

OP, please take Neeoon23's warning seriously! My son had a friend who died from methadone on the second night that he took the same amount as the night before. I am not positive what that amount was, but the rumor was that it was only 2 10mg. I am sure that it was a fairly low amount. It was such a tragedy. Very few people seem to understand just how lethal methadone can be. Please be careful of re-dosing.

Very good points. Be very careful with redosing, the high can be overwhelming but very subtle at the same time. Wait 48 hours (2 days) before redosing.

Methadone is a drug not to be played with. Methadone is great for pain & after taking it once (took 5mgs), I know why they give it to heroin addicts. It keeps you on a level buzz for a long time after you get over the peak high. I have been taking hydrocodone for back pain for a year & 5mgs was enough.

As for how much should you dose your 1st time. I recommend 5mgs. You take it & might not feel anything for an hour or like me, I felt it within 20 minutes but it creeps up on you & keeps coming on strong so dont think that you're not high & need to redose because like the above posters stated, you will find yourself in the hospital, or worse...........

Last edited:
Methadone has a very long half life, so if you dose again 24 hours later the two doses can combine and potentially reach OD levels if you take too high a dose and are not careful. With no tolerance, start with 5mg (at most). Wait at least 2-3 hours to re-dose as the come up period is very drawn out. If you don't feel it enough the safest thing to do is wait 48 hours and try again.

Methadone is very strong, not meant to be fucked around with. PM if you have any questions about it, I was on it daily for quite some time.

I currently take 4mg oxymorphone four times day for my effed up neck for pain and that mostly covers it. Once in awhile, i need a booster for some breakthrough pain, etc... Of course, The Pain Management doctor makes sure I get my appointment and script exactly on the 30 day mark. So there is no real room for recreational use or dealing with breaktrough pain on days where I stay up extended hours, etc.

My friend gave me two 5mg methadone pills to try. So like a good noob, I have read several threads and the 37 page methadone mega thread. I am convinced the 5mg pill will not kill me and now know not combo it with anything but the lowest dose of benzo, stay away from DXM, no need to snort it, plug it, shoot it, etc... Compared to some posters here, I am on the low end of opiant tolerant, but not opiate naive. Started with Hydros 4 years ago and am now on dilaudid, soma, and xanax and posting here. really? shit!

What I am thinking is I can take one or two of these on the weekend and skip a dose or two of my dilaudids so I have a spare or two when I need it since the half life of methadone is so much longer. The end result I am looking for is to wind up with a couple of spares of my regular pain med and quite possibly enjoying a little high from the methadone in the process. workable? good plan? bad plan? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

p.s. I want to thank all that contribute to this board. I appreciate all those who share their experiences (both good and bad) because information is power.

I was on Methadone maintenance for a year and prescribed 135mg at the max. I begun at 15mg, which is generally what most people are started on, some less, some even more. You are started on these doses because you are addicted and very tolerant to opioids.

For recreation I would suggest 7.5mg. This should be enough to get you high for a very long period of time. I really don't think 5mg will do anything but I think 15mg is too high. So if you do take 7.5mg I don't suggest redosing at all. Besides, redosing is less effective than taking it all at once. You won't get higher than the original dose if you redose, no matter the dose you take. However it will prolong the high. This is just from my experience. It will take about 1.5-2 hours to completely kick in and the initial effects last for about 9-14 hours (varies). However it has a half life of 8-59 hours (mean of 22) so you should not take another dose until you've waited at least 24-48 hours. If you didn't get high from the dose you took then increase by 2.5mg

I currently take 4mg oxymorphone four times day for my effed up neck for pain and that mostly covers it. Once in awhile, i need a booster for some breakthrough pain, etc... Of course, The Pain Management doctor makes sure I get my appointment and script exactly on the 30 day mark. So there is no real room for recreational use or dealing with breaktrough pain on days where I stay up extended hours, etc.

My friend gave me two 5mg methadone pills to try. So like a good noob, I have read several threads and the 37 page methadone mega thread. I am convinced the 5mg pill will not kill me and now know not combo it with anything but the lowest dose of benzo, stay away from DXM, no need to snort it, plug it, shoot it, etc... Compared to some posters here, I am on the low end of opiant tolerant, but not opiate naive. Started with Hydros 4 years ago and am now on dilaudid, soma, and xanax and posting here. really? shit!

What I am thinking is I can take one or two of these on the weekend and skip a dose or two of my dilaudids so I have a spare or two when I need it since the half life of methadone is so much longer. The end result I am looking for is to wind up with a couple of spares of my regular pain med and quite possibly enjoying a little high from the methadone in the process. workable? good plan? bad plan? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

p.s. I want to thank all that contribute to this board. I appreciate all those who share their experiences (both good and bad) because information is power.

Do you find the strength of Methadone makes your other intake of opiates feel weak? Like I was taking 2 Norcos a day prescribed for back pain but after taking 5mg Methadone, the Norcos werent as effective the following days after the Methadone intake.

^ I don't know. That is why I am asking. I have never taken mathadone.

Will the Methadone relieve the pain? From the reading, it seems it will.

Should I take one 5mg or take both for a total of 10mg? I only have TWO 5mg methadone pills. K'd-OUT-in-AZ recommend 7.5mg as a starting dose, but I don't think he was addressing me directly. I could cut one in half, but then I am left with 2.5mg that is probably worthless.

I don't think 10mg total in one oral dosage would be dangerous, but I want some confirmation based on the info I gave. I think K'd-OUT-in-AZ was addressing the original poster who gave no history.

Can someone who actually reads my posts in this thread answer my question please? Should I take just the 5 or take both of them for a total of 10mg and will I still be in the safe zone? The buzz would be nice and allow me to save a few of my dillys for when I stay up late like tonight and need an extra.

I plan to do it on the weekend when I have no where to be and can safely experiment. I will report back.

TheLostBoys, How long have you been taking the norcos? 2 a day is not much and it would be a damn shame if my dillys had less effect on managing my pain for several days afterward if I were to try these 2 dones.

Should I take one 5mg or take both for a total of 10mg? I only have TWO 5mg methadone pills. K'd-OUT-in-AZ recommend 7.5mg as a starting dose, but I don't think he was addressing me directly. I could cut one in half, but then I am left with 2.5mg that is probably worthless.

I don't think 10mg total in one oral dosage would be dangerous, but I want some confirmation based on the info I gave. I think K'd-OUT-in-AZ was addressing the original poster who gave no history.

Can someone who actually reads my posts in this thread answer my question please.? Should I take just the 5 or take both of them for a total of 10mg and will I still be in the safe zone? The buzz would be nice and allow me to save a few of my dillys for when I stay up late like tonight and need an extra.

TheLostBoys, How long have you been taking the norcos? 2 a day is not much and it would be a damn shame if my dillys had less effect on managing my pain if I were to try these 2 dones.

Oh, my bad, I thought you had taken Methadone before. Im prescribed Norcos for back pain & can definitely tell you Methadone works great for my back pain. It lasts a long time as well but from my experience, it will raise your tolerance.

Dude, we put the answer above, only take a one 5mg Methadone pill, trust us, it is potent. I have been taking Norcos for 1 year.

Last edited:
Also, I tell everyone that if you dont want to use up your stash or prescription of Vicodin or whatever you have, always add a Soma muscle relaxant with your pill, trust me, it works great & you will get high but be careful if you havent used a Soma with your pills. Try a half a Soma with ytour pill, you will like it imo.

Can someone who actually reads my posts in this thread answer my question please? Should I take just the 5 or take both of them for a total of 10mg and will I still be in the safe zone? The buzz would be nice and allow me to save a few of my dillys for when I stay up late like tonight and need an extra.

I plan to do it on the weekend when I have no where to be and can safely experiment. I will report back.

TheLostBoys, How long have you been taking the norcos? 2 a day is not much and it would be a damn shame if my dillys had less effect on managing my pain for several days afterward if I were to try these 2 dones.

How much Dilaudid were you taking? Dilaudid is a powerful opioid so it is possible that you may need 7.5-10mg but I'd be able to answer more accurately if you were to provide information on how much you were taking.

I take 4mg dilauidid 4 times daily. (16mg total) Sometimes and extra one or a norco or two for breakthrough pain. I take 350mg soma x 4 and about 1mg of xanax daily. I would say I have a little bit of tolerance. :D Not exactly naive opiate, but I aint shooting the shit, either. That is what it takes to handle get a handle on my pain, not get high. Days like today, I had to take an extra just to get out and work.

It sounds like I could handle the 10mg and get what I am looking for. Would you agree?

^Based on your tolerance from your last post, I would say you should be able to handle 10mg of methadone fine.. Just be careful combining all of that soma with it, as well as benzos. The combination of all three CNS depressants greatly raises the risk of respiratory depression.

Yeah, methadone should really not be used by people who are just starting out with opiates. Please find some other opiate with a short half life so that you are safer.

Yeah, methadone should really not be used by people who are just starting out with opiates. Please find some other opiate with a short half life so that you are safer.

He said he takes 16mg of hydromorphone a day.

To the OP, you'll be able to handle 10mg of methadone just fine. Only worries are those benzos that you take. You might want to cut your usual dosage in half if you plan on taking them.

K'd-OUT-in-AZ, thanks for the feedback. That is what I figured and I will be extra careful with any other drugs at the time as in not take them or half any of the usual dose if I need a muscle relaxant.

To any other noobs, realize that I do not know any of the posters here. They are anonymous strangers on the Internet. In addition to this thread, I have been reading the methadone mega thread (37 pages) as well as many other threads here as well as info on drugs.com, wiki, and some other sources. I also have a friend who gave me the two 5 mg pills and she is not as opiate tolerant as I am and a drunk and takes ONE 5mg pill a day. I rarely drink and will not do so the weekend I pop these pills.

Thank you BL's.

Talked with a friend today that I have shared pain end medication experiences with. She said Methadone made her nauseous and she threw up a lot and she if more opiate tolerant than I. She takes Avinza and hydrocodone and the usual assortment of muscle relaxers and benzos. I asked her what dose the doc had her on and it was 10mg. She was very negative about it and her experiences with it.

Not what I wanted to hear, but grateful for her feedback.

How common is it that people feel nauseous from methadone and spend a lot of time puking? I certainly do not want the experience to be an unpleasant one.

Gonna hold off till I get more feedback.

Any others have this type of experience or is hers on the uncommon side?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you fine folks here can give. :)