• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Melbourne Food Society - Fri 31st Aug - Japanese!

miss_goody2shoes

Bluelighter
so, any interest in reviving (and eating) this puppy?
(puppies are good eating)

I can't find the old thread, shall we continue on with the list of dining suggestions we had??....

{edit: Sorry miss2shoes, I'm hijackiing your post with details.)

MEETUP DETAILS!!

Where? Yuriya Teppanyaki Restaurant, 172 Little Bourke Street, City.

MAP HERE >>>> http://www.yuriya.com.au/location.htm

What time? 6.30pm - sorry we had to pick either an early or a late booking.

[NB: please be on time, we can't start until everyone is there. You can't order later sorry - everyone gets served the same thing at the same times]
Meal goes for approx 2 hours after which we'll kick on somewhere for drinks.

How much? $39 set menu - see here "Set C" http://www.yuriya.com.au/teppanyaki.htm
Licensed restaurant, so if you're smuggling in booze, do it discreetly ;)

Who's coming? Regular roll call updates throughout the thread - see last page

When do I need to let you know? NOW!!! I'm booking Thursday 8th March.
[edit: I booked extra spots x 5 so there's still time if you want to come, just let us know asap]

SLM

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still very keen for the eating and mingling to continue. Who knows, we might actually end up with some others turning up this year! :p
PS - If we eat a puppy I'm voting for a sausage dog. =D

Im definately in for this year.
as long as its not friggin saturday afternoons again.

I'm still in. I was just thinking about this today, which was brought on by KKE's talk of T-bone steaks in the last meal thread.

As for the list of places, FaTz may still have his master copy, but I'm sure we can throw in any new suggestions, or even rehash some of the better ones from last year. Yum Cha was the original one and definitely needs to be done again.

BTW, the old links are here:
Original Thread
Replacement (but now outdated) thread

^ same! I've never had yum cha. Sounds delish
good to see interest :) now, do we dare set a date for before the end of Feb??...

cotb sausage dog is a fine suggestion, but I've found the best eating dog is Poodle. In a pie.

One of my mates had Yum Cha twice this past weekend -- he's becoming a connoisseur after being introduced to its wonders by yours truly. :)
He said the best he's had is the Emerald something in the CBD, and one I've been to in Box Hill [where you have to book in advance].

How much are people prepared to spend on eating out?
I know of a few somewhat dearer places that cater to the carnivore (amongst other things) in all of us.

As long as enough notice is given I'm not adverse to splashing out...

I vote Yum Cha too - maybe el traditionale chinatown stylez?

:D

Also - I would like to propose a visit to Lazar's Steakhouse on Johnston st in Fitzroy.

Primarily because I found out recently that this little beauty is BYO!!! w00t there it is! :D

And it looks like it's in a swiss chalet that houses neo-nazis...yay for cultural diversity!

^Haha, I didn't think there would be. :p
Samadhi more reminded me of this crazy place with her comment; as in BYO is awesome, fo' sho' -- unless they have an exorbitant corkage. :)

^ I don't think i'd ever patronise a restaurant that charges something like that, purely on principle. :\

^ well...actually, the reason I replied so quickly was because I was reading an article on BYO's in the age good food guide the other day, and to be honest, the only places (that I read anyway) that charged such large corkages were high end fine dining restaurants --- so really, considering the price you'd pay for wine (and the wine that I know I'd want to be drinking with food of that quality) it really is still value (and also very hospitable of them to even have a BYO policy, IMO).

There's an absolutely gorgeous restaurant down the road from me (well, looks gorgeous, and has fantastic reviews) that is BYO...I was v. impressed to find out they were BYO!!!! :D

Undersood. :) I just guess that if i was going to eat at such a restaurant (think Montrachet in Paddington - Bris), i'd rather not go BYO as they have such a fantastic winelist anyway, i'd rather sample the wine that can't often be purchased a a bottle-shop, that i'd not usually get to taste. I know that Montrachet has a FANTASTIC wine list (and FANTASTIC food). :D

edit: i guess, if i was going with a group, the corkage wouldn't be so harsh, but it would still piss me off. ;)

Anyway, happy eating Melbournians :D

Last edited:
Since we already had yum cha last year and skipped teppinyaki- which was one of the frst suggestions- can we have teppinyaki soon as Im slowly dying of old age and must have teppinyaki before I die.

I will resort to begging and pleading. :(

Jesus christ there's alot of shit talk going on. Keep to topic and give suggestions of places not going on about what you'd like eating today. THat's what the fucking "What i'm cooking for dinner to make me smile yet frown tommorrow because i'm single and where's my kit kat"...

I found the file at work today, I'll post it all tomorrow.

Peace Out

^ hello? Remember me? I and two other highly capable women moderate this forum, and we will continue to do so quite ably in this thread as well without your pseudo-moderation contribution.

People, as you were. :)