Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Melb: Teriyaki's Great Big Knockout Xmas Parti: Fri, Dec 26th@ROOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dee dee

Bluelighter
Howdy ye faithful patrons of the disco inferno,

So you may have gethered that the November party is missing: It's been cancelled due to the Earthcore 10 year anniversary. Dee Dee and Slack will be appearing there, as will be our lovely lady Disko Pussy, and by crikey, we can't see any other event doing well to go up against it! So... Our next event is, as the title suggests:

Teriyaki's Great Big Knockout Xmas Parti on Friday, December 26th: Boxing Day.
(Which, due to the need to be just a little public-friendly, has had its title changed from Teriyaki's Great Big Fuck Off Xmas Parti, to what you see above)

Onwards christian soldiers...

We are proud to welcome on this unholiest of nights, our favorite, and arguably, the best live artist alive. In the whole world... it's true! His name is:
JUSTIN BERKOVI.
He is the owner of both Predicaments Records and Nightrax, and hails from the U.K. He has released his trademark Berkovi sound on Terminal M (Owned by Monika Kruse) and on Kne Deep (Thanks to DJ Rush who owns this one) as well as a stack more. Check out his bio at the end of this long thread...

We are also proud to be featuring none other than Melbournes two favorite players:
Mike "The Captain" Callender and DJ Pixleton: The smallest giant who packs a funky-assed wollop of a record crate.

Not only do you get those 3 esteemed and mighty players, but you also get Teriyaki's awesome foursome:
Dee Dee, Slack, Slieker & Disko Pussy.

Now you can't get any better than that bunch of evil little Santa helpers!

Or can you?

In the weirdest disco back room in Melbourne, thats HEADMUFF to the initiated, we are proud to headline the multi-talented man-about-town:
Dave Pham.

As well as some new names with the same faces:
Slim with Klim
Jack and Jill v's The Nutriaman
Leakproof Flange

It may be demented but what's wrong with that? Get a dose of it into ya and you'll see it'll all be worth it!

So what can you expect to pay for such a full and lively, not to mention totally professional line up? For all these top shelf locals (who rock it harder than most of those internationals: bar Justin Berkovi (Living legend!) all you have to fork out is: $25...

Thats right... for the best Xmas party you'll likely have it's only a measly 25 buxxx... Now don't you think that deserves a round of applause and a coveted place in your "important dates to remember" part of your diary? Lock it in Eddy! (eech... yuk... sorry about that reference to the walking leg-of-ham in a suit...) Get the picture? Dig it?

Spread the word people: Teriyaki needs your effort.

As one very wise man said to us once: Teriyaki is what you make of it: That is, if you wanna party with the best people this town has to offer, you gotta bring them into the fold. It's simple...

It all happens at one of Melbourne's most under-rated venues: Room.680 Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn.
Sure it may be a little far out of town (it'll all be worth your while getting there... trust us!) and you may think that it will be packed with Room regulars (totally untrue... just good old Tezza, techno and party fanatics)
We reckon ROOM is an awesome venue and Tezza decks it out with its trademark supa-silly, ultra-buff decor.

And now, here's some long, but NOT boring official info on some of the great players putting thier blood, sweat and tears into thier preperations for what will go down in histroy as "one fucking rollicking party.... I'm well rogered..."

'Til then... Party hard, party discriminantly and spread the Tezza light...

A club is only a club: Unless it's Teriyaki full flavored party mayhem!

Some player profiles...

Justin Berkovi: UK. Predicaments, Nightrax.

Influenced at the earliest possible point by a jazz pianist father followed by a youth spent delved in the world of 1980s hip hop and graffiti, Justin Berkovi developed a passion for innovative music and design and has evolved into a true artist from his home in sunny Brighton, UK.

Berkovi’s first album, 1998’s Charm Hostel was a dark and introspective debut which displayed a maturity and depth belying Berkovi’s years. Lauded by critics, DJ magazine described it as “percussive genius . . . at once accessible and thought provoking” while Magic Feet predicted Justin “. . . could well turn out to be a future leading light in UK electronica”.

After The Night (1999), his second album on Force Inc., again received critical acclaim and displayed a filmic evolution to Berkovi’s music. While creating abstract soundscapes, Justin simultaneously rocked the dancefloors of clubs worldwide and released a host of 12s on various labels including Djax-Up-Beats, Projex, Sativae, Mosquito, Harthouse, Force Inc. (the fierce and brooding 01279 Violence EP was NME’s “Dance Single of the Week”), Sonic Groove, Kne Deep and many more.

His third album In The Bag (released on Harthouse in 2000), preempted the bassline techno which was to become extremely popular among Berkovi’s peers; while Transit – Justin’s most recent album release on Music Man – was a representation of the live set which by this stage had been played across the world from Japan to the USA, Israel, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Malta and as far away as Australia.

Berkovi heads up the Predicaments and Nightrax labels. The former having played host to artists such as DJ Rush, Miss Kittin (Jockey Slut labeled 2002’s Berkovi Vs Kittin My Voice . . . EP a “Hit”), Adam X, Subhead and Dave Tarrida among others; Predicaments’ first release (one of Justin’s own) was branded by Mixmag “Techno Tune of the Month” and five years later the label is heading towards it’s eighteenth release.

Justin has used Nightrax to release only his own music inspired by nighttime drives along highways – deeper and more melodic than the material found on Predicaments and closer to his heart. Closer to his heart still though was the opportunity for Berkovi to produce four tracks for the John Peel Session on BBC Radio One ( 1998 ) – a great honour bestowed upon Justin and a great feat when the Session was replayed a second time.

2003 sees Justin releasing his fifth and finest album so far – the work of a full year in the studio; textured melodies, deep subliminal chords and sparkling percussive elements sum up an inspired techno album. In the meantime, Berkovi’s live shows continue to astound and cause dancefloor mayhem wherever they are heard - most recently a partnering with DJ Rush for live shows across Europe. The incredible fusion of Rush’s beats and vocals and Berkovi’s twisted take on slamming dancefloor techno under the BTrax moniker has already been causing a stir. Check for new 12s on Monika Kruse's Terminal M, DJ Rush's Kne Deep imprint, Djax-Up-Beats as well as Projex.

Mike Callander: Biography

In the last two years Mike Callander has cemented a position for himself as one of Australia’s most promising young DJs. At the age of only 23 he has taken his unique brand of tek-funk to dance floors throughout Melbourne and across Australia.

In 2001 he launched the now infamous Fokus club nights, with an approach to music and DJ'ing that demanded the attention of the techno, tek-house and electro communities alike. Through his sets at Fokus, Mike’s earned a string of guest spots and residencies at Melbourne’s most rockin’ parties and clubs, where he currently plays no less than 3 resident sets every week.

At the same time, Mike has undertaken an extensive schedule of events in Sydney and Adelaide, where he has headlined 5 times in the last 12 months, with further bookings already scheduled for 2004.

On the international stage, Mike has destroyed dancefloors in Kuala Lumpur to rave reviews, again with further dates booked for early 2004.

At home in Australia, Mike’s innovative approach to blending house, techno and electro has earned him sets in support of Ken Ishii, Miss Kittin and the Hacker, Mr C, Umek and Valentino, Samuel L Session, DJ Misjah, DJ Rush, Technasia, and a host of other events where the music policy demands a forward thinking DJ to exceed the restraint of traditional musical genres.

Mike’s DJing continues to impress the acts he supports, earning accolades in particular from Ken Ishii, DJ Misjah, DJ C1, Deetron, Stanny Franssen and Michael Forshaw for his skills and programming.

On the local level, Mike plays regularly at Melbourne’s finest clubs to a loyal following. He has also played at major parties and festivals such as War of the Worlds, Adventjah (Melbourne and Adelaide) Enchanted Forest (Adelaide), Welcome 2003, Two Tribes, Hardware and Wetmusik, and his all-time favourite gig, Teriyaki Anarki Saki.

In the daylight hours, Mike works for Listen 24-7, Australia’s best and foremost distributor of quality electronic music. Working alongside Damian Laird, Mike is always looking for new sounds to push to the public.

In the studio, Mike is almost ready to unleash his own brand of minimal tek-funk and upside-down-house upon the broader dance community, with plans for a new label in 2004.

For bookings please contact Sara Giampa at Data On Dub on
(+613) 8503 7767 or (+61) 417 572 972

Damned straight... Berkovi and Mike C and Pixie and my homies... Boxing day bonanza... get the gloves on...

wellll... ermmm... Justin Berkovi.... oooooooooh so bloody tempting

maybe :)

Im with you Kryal... I don't think this cat has been to a Tezza for a while.... Grace us with your presence evil little elf!!! :)

Insomnia you were there last time Berkovi played were you not?
One of the best live sets of all time.
We'd all have to be crazy to miss it.

Berkovi was definately the best live set Ive seen... who else can play for over 2 hours???
Though to give all due respect: Our homeboys Steve Law, Voiteck, Serotone, our favorite: Adam 8Bit...

All those boys have rocked it big time... And I'd pay to see any of them!!!

Bring on Xmas...

Bring on Berkovi...

Bring on Mike C and Pixleton...

Bring on my other homies: Slack, Slieker & Disko Pussy...

Bring on Dave Pham in the HEADMUFF chill experience... And it's gracious supastar jox/hosts....

Bring on DEE DEE.... (shameless I know.... hehehehe)

Bring on the best punters in the world: Tezza punters!!!!

Oh 8bit.........thats a name I havent heard in a while. I loved his fortnightly live sets back in the days of hi-fi. :)

8Bit was the man.. Inspirational... And still inspiring now: he's producing R+B of a decidedly 8Bit flavor... Yep... I like it... (Vocals rock but not when theyre whining vocals...)

Bring him back for one last hurrah... I wish...

Kapa- check out: www.predicaments.com
Justin has the most friendly and useful website of any international I've come across... Well I haven't really seen a huge amount, but definately a lot. What do ya reckon?

And in the darkness we wait... And in the silence we wait... with baited breathe... till all hell breaks loose...

here she comes.. gathering momentum...

"It all happens at one of Melbourne's most under-rated venues: Room.680"

That would mean that people give it bad reports but it actually is good...

Sorry but I always find room to be WAY too crowded, which I guess is testimony to how much people love yaki, but when it takes you more than ten minutes to walk twenty metres to the bathroom, something is definitely wrong. And I don't mean with the person walking either, just thought I'd specift that in case anyone felt like being a wise guy.

It'd be great if Yaki could get a bigger venue, I know a lot of my freinds are put off by the fact that it is at room.

Anyone care to reply to ButrosButros_Grantos worthy comments?

Actually, the last few Tezza's have been a little quiet... (Unfortunately) So moving around has been easy...
I for one hope that this Tezza, it does take me 20 minutes to get to the loo... If it does, we may just survive the bashing techno is getting.

But, to give credit where its due, it is true that a ROOM too full is a room worth being wary of... or find a good spot nearest your favorite, most used exit/room/seat/bar etc... you get the drift...

hmmm..... its what you make of it... each party produces its own dynamics: the last party I went to at the public Office, was a very loose affair. it was a little quiet, but the punters were seriously off chops and having an ace time: I simply adjusted to my environment... I made the most of it. And I had a fuking ball...

err..... was that last paragraph necessary????!!!!!!

Maybe.... maybe not... head=fried!!!

er...pack any venue with people and it too becomes too crowded? It's not just a problem @ Room!!! amazing ey?

In all seriousness - what a stupid thing to complain about...

Room is one of the better venues that Teriyaki has been held.

probably right

Actually I'm just biast against room, don't like it for no specific reason, you know how some places are like that. The same goes for kryal, I will never go to a party there because I just have something against it, silly but true.

Thanks Nezo.... I agree that ROOM is a seriously awesome venue... Both from a punters point of view (I walk around a lot of the night sussing out each part of the venue to see how it works) and from a professional point of view. The ROOM crew are great to work with.

ButrosButros_Grantos - Fair enough... I guess that I have the same feeling about a lot of venues in town... Sometimes its very hard to overcome these feelings in order to just enjoy the rest of the party/event etc... At the end of the day, I don't think it's silly... In any case... Maybe you'll put aside your differences with the pesky venue and check out the not so pesky players on offer at the Xmas parti...

Gee poor tezza just can't win!

first at billboards, its too crowded....then at room its too crowded.....so no one goes...so its way way under crowded (is that a word?) so now they will have to go back to a smaller venue....

poor tezza!!! well it doesn't matter because the Xmas party is gonna ROCK IT!!!!

:)

Bring it on Bia-tch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.