MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

lacey - it's all good :)

oopsy - I've been passed over for jobs in favor of applicants that have better personal qualifications or who presented themselves better than I. It's all a matter of finding the right company/firm/individual boss. Still plenty of ways to express your style... I am putting my Tibetan prayer flags up Monday and my Aries Ram with a butterfly on his belly that my uncle gave me when I was born will sit right next to my computer. And I doubt my style can be described as absolutely corporate, either - put a nice jacket, slacks or skirt and shoes on... and you can get away with almost anything clean else as long as it's not a visible tattoo, piercing or provocative.

And it's a process that can be incredibly dehumanizing. It's not enough to put a piece of paper in front of someone. It has to be a well-formatted piece of paper with appropriate qualifications, and you have to be able to back them up.

My answer to the evil "what is your greatest weakness as a worker" was...

I try to do everything perfectly all the time, and I realize I won't, but when I don't, I feel terrible and I will do anything necessary to correct it".

:)

I got the job.

i just graduated college, what now?

i just graduated from msu with a BA in psychology. my GPA is only 2.5 because i was dumb and spent the first 2 years of college sitting in my room skipping class and getting high. but im trying to look on the bright side of things, at least i have a college degree. i just don't know what career path to take or how to find a job. is there anyone here who majored in liberal arts and found work after graduation? what do you do?

also, i should note that i am not outgoing at all and find interacting with people very awkward, so this really limits what i can do especially in the business world. i could never handle a job in sales or where i had to take people out to business luncheons or stuff like that.

well a 2.5gpa is still roughly an 85 on a 100 point scale, correct? Thats not that bad, as long as you have that piece of paper (diploma) most companies could care less what your grades were.
I'm sorry I dont have any psychology advice for you tho. Just hang in there something will pop up for you.

with a 2.5 gpa do i have any shot at higher education like a masters maybe? i want to get some work experience first but i dont want to rule out the possibility of ever going back to school for something i really wanted.

I think uneployment is your next option. I psychologist's job is to interact with people, and if you are introverted and have social anxiety this will be challenging, not to mention keeping ahead of those pateints of yours. Liberal arts BA is a good starting point for a higher degree. Otherwise it is pretty much useless...
Lots of people get out with their BAs, masters or even PhDs and are lost. It is clear from your short post that being a therapist is not your vocation. Take a step back and reassess your goals and the motivation for your degree (I'm guessing it was a default decision ?). Don't get discouraged, but don't spin your wheels either...

I did a BA in Psychology (though Im in Australia, so not sure how relevant this is). I went on and did a fourth year, then eventually a PhD. My advice - travel. Get away from school for a while, go see something new and fresh. Then make a decision what you want to do with your life.

But dont forget that you learnt alot of skills during your degree that arent just related to psychology - writing, researching, etc etc. So dont discount that.

To the OP, your feelings are not uncommon at all. my friend just got his BA in philosophy and he's pretty lost. He's signed up for this thing where westerners get paid to go to china to teach english. His gf did it and went to Vietnam, and his brother did it and went to Korea. I think the only requirement is a BA too. I wish i had a link because it's definately something new and exciting, you basically get a free ride to go experience a whole different world. If your interested I'll ask my friend for a website or something.

my sister got her BA in political science and went on for a masters in political science/international business. Initially she couldn't even find a job, and waited tables and was a bartender. She eventually got a job doing some sorta sales for a national home improvement chain. But she hates that, and is still bar tending on the weekends.

I hope it's not that hard when I get my BA in 2 years. I'm a little scared. But i guess it's not uncommon at all. I think all this pressure "you have to go to college/uni" shit that teachers have been shoving down our throats since 1st grade is eventually going to backfire. If everyone, or almost everyone gets a AS or BA, it'll only be as good as a high school diploma.

i thought about what would happen if i were to graduate with a BA in psychology. you should probably go to graduate school. unless you want to be a counselor

college campus with your liberal views
an education or your head in a noose
and after you graduate where will you go?
youll have nowhere to live, nothing to show
come put on a suit come work for us
become all that you hate and all that you disgust
youll forgot who are what you did, and what you stood for
trapped in your office youll be trapped in your home
trapped in your church trapped in your mind
trapped like rats on a sinking ship getting used to it

youll be used to it youll be used to it

Caviar said:
i thought about what would happen if i were to graduate with a BA in psychology. you should probably go to graduate school. unless you want to be a counselor

i cant go to grad school with a 2.5 gpa, can i?

General alcazar said:
I think uneployment is your next option. I psychologist's job is to interact with people, and if you are introverted and have social anxiety this will be challenging, not to mention keeping ahead of those pateints of yours. Liberal arts BA is a good starting point for a higher degree. Otherwise it is pretty much useless...
Lots of people get out with their BAs, masters or even PhDs and are lost. It is clear from your short post that being a therapist is not your vocation. Take a step back and reassess your goals and the motivation for your degree (I'm guessing it was a default decision ?). Don't get discouraged, but don't spin your wheels either...

i never wanted to be a therapist (although i disagree that its clear from my post i couldn't do it, there are some pretty fucking bad therapists out there) but what i was getting at is there are tons of things you can do in the field of psychology besides therapy. i was always interested in research psychology, the more quantitative parts. but of course for most jobs you need at least a masters and i don't want to go grad school right now. i could even go to grad school and end up in a similar situation to how i am now, but only in debt for a lot of money.

my father is supporting me right now and he is basically saying i have to get a job NOW. actually he said he will loan me 10,000 more dollars, which i will eventually have to pay him back and after that i'm out on the street.

so what can i do? i can't even register on monster.com, every time i try it says "There was an unexpected problem processing your request."

just go back and get a second degree that is what i am about to do.. i graduated about two years ago with a degree in social work,,, i do not want to burn myself out too quickly so i am taking a break and trying to figure out what i really want to do...right now i am wasting two years and then i am getting off my ass and making something of myself, lol// i hope...
I say do what makes u happy and do that with your life... do what motivates u...
it will come to u, but u have to want to do it or want to get off ur butt and make move...

do the damn thing
B

Dude there's all kinds of nice paying jobs out there that DONT require a degree.....The degree just makes u a bit more marketable....It really doesnt ge u a job right off the bat unless its a kind of tech degree of sorts

Just get any old job that will pay the bills and try to network from there....Networkig is the key....Get to talking to people and ask questions about job opportunities....

So you need to come out of your shell and get out in the world....Your GPA or degree isnt really holding u back....

Last edited:
My old boss who was a editor and sportswriter and me were talkin about this girl i know who got a BA in psychology. He laughed his ass off . I asked him why cuz i thought that was a good thing not really knowin whats what. he said "Thats worth about as much as a GED" i think was his words. he told me that these days a bachelors degree is worthless anyways, but if you wanted to pick the most worthless possible bachelors degree there is, it would be psychology (well , philosophy is the worst but psychology comes right after.) Apparently a BA in psychology is just like a warmup and just qualifies you to do the most basic-ass jobs that you could prolly do without a degree anyways. So the moral of the story is , Good Fuckin Luck.

I dont know nothing about college but this dude definately did. I jus thought id add that 2 cents onto the pile of change incase it means anything to you.
Keep in mind this is what i been told not what i know from my own experience but youre lookin for opinions so here it is.

lacey k said:
My old boss who was a editor and sportswriter and me were talkin about this girl i know who got a BA in psychology. He laughed his ass off . I asked him why cuz i thought that was a good thing not really knowin whats what. he said "Thats worth about as much as a GED" i think was his words. he told me that these days a bachelors degree is worthless anyways, but if you wanted to pick the most worthless possible bachelors degree there is, it would be psychology (well , philosophy is the worst but psychology comes right after.) Apparently a BA in psychology is just like a warmup and just qualifies you to do the most basic-ass jobs that you could prolly do without a degree anyways. So the moral of the story is , Good Fuckin Luck.

I dont know nothing about college but this dude definately did. I jus thought id add that 2 cents onto the pile of change incase it means anything to you.
Keep in mind this is what i been told not what i know from my own experience but youre lookin for opinions so here it is.

i just have to defend psychology here by saying it's not the most worthless degree. it's really no different from most other liberal arts degrees, like sociology, english, anthropology, etc. and there are more worthhless degrees like philosophy and religious studies.

like sociology, english, anthropology, etc. and there are more worthhless degrees like philosophy and religious studies.

my degree choices are religious studies, philosophy and psychology. :p

Maitereya said:

Fuck the rest of them then man, do what makes you happy.

Nothing seems more unappealing to me than to get some sort of business degree and spend the rest of my life behind some fucking computer desk, a drone day in and day out...

Maitereya said:

well they aren't worthless if you're willing to get your PHD and teach religious studies. but in terms of practical value, there simply aren't too many job openings for people with degrees in religious studies. even with a masters degree, i'm not really sure what you could do with that. i'm sure there's something but very little compared to what you could do with a masters in business or engineering or something.