MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

I can offer you some advice about working in the customer services sector and dealing with people.
I once went for a technical job at a big software company but on the phone to customers all day, and my friend who knew nothing about offices or software said to me "Look blauwe when people call you, they're usually in the shit and they want someone whos helpful and friendly and whos going to listen to them and represent them to your company" and it stayed with me, I got the job, and that was the way I approached the job. I always got excellent reviews for my service, because I was genuine and I did my best to help them.

Your reason for being there is the customer, thats what makes profits and how you behave represents that company because to everyone you meet you are the company. That means you cant bullshit them and treat them anything less than respectful. The other side of that coin is while you can understand some people are difficult, some people get angry, you want to be respected too. Your there to help them and not be abused if someone doesnt get their own way. You wont be bullied.

The major difference between buying a game off the internet and going to a shop is the personal, professional service people receive.

Bad Service, moody people, unhelpful people are remembered far more often than good customer service. If I receive bad service off a person working for a company I tend not to use them again unless I absolutely have to. Theres also a difference between, friendly and helpful customer service and fake friendly and helpful customer service and its obvious.

If I went into that interview, service would be my focus not my gaming knowledge, which you'll pick up product knowledge over time anyway, that can be learnt, knowing how to deal with people isnt such a natural skill.

Good luck!

^^There is some good info and advice there. People skills is a must then and the knowledge can wait (unless asked about something about games obviously).

Thanks for the help and support! The interview is coming up soon and will let you know how it goes.

Andy.

I live in the uk like you, and can tell ya that game is one of the very few places that dont mind eccentricity, or unique dress style.. That being said, for the interview your definitely better off going in a shirt & tie & trousers, better impression.. but game is one of the most relaxed for dress code when you've got the job that you could hope for :)

I agree with AR, it's better to overdress than under-dress. I have came to some job interviews many times feeling a bit awkward due to overdressing, but then only to find out my boss hired me because I was one of the only ones to bother coming to the interview in a tie and jacket.

so essentially a half hour of awkwardness is worth the financial gain of a job

@ColourfulKronos - It's great to hear that game isn't too strict on their dress code which gives me a great advantage, just like axl blaze said about getting the job because he/she took the effort to dress formally.

Great info/advice guys, will deff use it, much appreciated.

Andy.

interview preperation tips-

So i have an important interview for a kitchenhand position at a nice indian resaurant and I was thinking if anyone knew anything they do before an interview to calm their nerves and make me more talkative

I would thinking maybe a couple of shots could help and I would brush my teeth after ofc so they dont smell it

any other thoughts -?

PLEASE, go to your interview sober. Anything you use will cloud your clear thinking. Trust me, especially in a restaurant where drinking and drugs are abundant, you have no idea if they are used to looking for clues so why bother putting yourself at risk for that.

Pre-plan your interview, practice. By doing this, you are already thinking of things to verbalize. Everyone is nervous, it is how confident you can make yourself appear that is important. Start thinking of why you would be a good employee. Are you always on time, a team player, like to stay busy, things of that nature. For some people who have never interviewed before, or been a long time, etc, there are state job employment offices that you can get free interview help with. I think they even offer online tips. Good luck!

I signed off and thought of something. For some, anxiety is so great that a xanax or something might be needed.

Perfecting My Resume

So, I was laid off recently and am trying to update/perfect my resume.

Before working the past 3 jobs that I worked, I worked some dead end jobs for a couple of months and one job did not end well due to a co-worker trying to fight me. We were both fired. this was 2 years ago.

On my termination papers, it said that I was laid off due to lack of work. It doesn't say anything about the fight.

It is the job I've had the longest. My employees and I did not end on good terms because I was fucked over for not doing anything. When the guy tried to fight me, I told him I'd rather keep my job and he went and told the boss about what happened and we were both terminated on the spot due to "conflict in a workplace", I suppose.

Do I need to put the dead end jobs and jobs that didn't end well on my resume?

I know having gaps in your job history isn't very good, but if I don't put these down, then I'll have quite a large gap.

Please leave suggestions about resume building if you have any good ones.

Thanks!

I have lots of information on this. I just got professional assistance on re-doing my resume. I am in a bit of a rush right now to get off to work, but check your pm.

soooooooooooooooooo busy today. will have to email it tomorrow sorry :(

I had my 5th interview this morning. Oh spirits please please give me a effing promotion.

What kind of jobs are you applying for?

I am in the entry-level job market, so I don't know if you are talking about career type jobs or 'job jobs', but when I make a resume I don't include anywhere I've been fired / ended badly on unless I have cleared things up with them and made sure they would give me a good reference.

Chances are, no one is ever going to find out you worked somewhere if you don't put it on your resume. Again, I'm not sure how the process works for careers, I'm just talking about low-level jobs. I'm sure if you were applying to some executive position they'd do a little more digging on your past.

Resume Question (include a self-run company?)

I feel stupid that I'm even having this hang-up right now, but I honestly don't know which way to go with this.

From ~'07 to '10, I worked for myself (investing in real estate). I never incorporated or anything, and property was held in my name. Long story short, the majority of the time I spent doing this was holding onto a failing venture.

Now that I'm actively looking for work outside of the real estate field, I'm unsure how to prepare my resume wrt this... if I include it, I almost feel that it comes across as some unverifiable, potentially made-up entry on my resume. If i don't include it, I have a huge gap in my resume.

Thoughts?

<<EDIT: I should add that, upon request from an employer, I could show that I did, in fact, do what my resume claims. However, I'm finding that, in practice, nobody seems to be interested in verifying it - I'm getting a strong feeling that the inclusion of that work is hurting my resume and maybe even coming across as fake, but my only alternatives are to just leave a hole in my resume, or to put something in that actually is made up...neither of those seems very solid.>>