• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Every Year's Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

^^If the mites are on buds, it is better to spray them then to lose the whole harvest. just my opinion

^ Now that's a controversial subject. I would not want to lose my harvest either, but I would be VERY careful as to what I am spraying on the flowers...

Someone who has a lot more growing experience than me, did two things to a mite infested harvest:
1) vacuum them off with a vacuum
2) wash them under running water.

I would definitely try the two above before spraying my flowers with any dish soap and/or oils. I mean think about how GROSS that would taste smoking it!

Luckily I don't have any mites on my flowering girls...I would like to keep it that way, thus the reason why I upped my game with neem oil, in use with iso and increased humidity. Prevention really is the best care for them when it comes down to it.

A friend of a friend recently got powdery mildew on a beautiful crop of lavender (ganja). The bag I got is definitely smokeable, but the pills it was turned into rocked. I would imagine its the same deal with buds treated with neem.

I would definitely try the two above before spraying my flowers with any dish soap and/or oils. I mean think about how GROSS that would taste smoking it!

for sure. cervantes recommends the following for insect infestation

1. prevention
2. manual removal
3. organic/non-toxic pesticide
4. pyrethrum (sp?)
5. toxic shit (if it gets to this point, you probably have some other issues causing the infestation)

I enact these graduated steps with the growth of all crops. Its all about outsmarting the pests.

NSFW:
NLprob2.jpg

Northern Lights, the better of the two

NSFW:
NLProb1.jpg

Northern Lights , the tall lanky one.

NSFW:
AK1.jpg

NSFW:
SD1.jpg
Sour Diesel

NSFW:
PK2.jpg
Purple Kush (second clone I bought)

NSFW:
PK1.jpg
Second Purple Kush...(technically the first Purple Kush I bought, haha, and no surprise, its smaller than the other PK I picked up)

G13 is doing great, finally started to take off and is now growing like a monster ever since I got it out of that damn clay pot.
I have pics, just didn't know if I should post em all up here, haha.

If you can't diagnose the plant in the pics and need more pics let me know.

I figured maybe the pH was too low.
I highered it up to about 6.8.
Hoping thats what the problem was, because my plants are QUICKLY dying.
I've lost the bottom quarter of fan leaves within 2 days.

Not sure if its completely obvious in the pics but, most of the leaves on the Northern Lights have burnt ridges down the leaf.
Im wondering how this could be a deficincy when they are getting micro nutrients every 4 days. (water every 2 as of lately, as they suck it up pretty quickly, Yes , the topsoil is dry in all the pics, I watered them not last night, the day before , and then watered them after this post-edit-))[Also, very small ammounts, 1/8th-1/4th of a tsp , calls for 1/2-2 tsp. Ive been trying to take the nutes lightly as I have a tendency to over do it, and I dont wanna burn my plants , Id like to keep them as close to healthy and natural as I can.

Also, My plants, in the one gal containers, I can't find anything inbetween 1-gal and 3 gal, they have decorative pots that are ridiculously priced how bad would going from 1 gal to 3 be?

(My mites are completely gone, took care of em, though the oil in the spray burned some leaves, as I mentioned a few weeks ago)

As for the whole grafting thing, I can see how that would be benificial for say, some guy who grows a plant outdoors, and has a HUGE bush of a mother to continue to keep grafting(while keeping one plant, and just say, receiving clones/cuttings from some one else to graft instead of having all of those plants.)

Also, wouldn't it be difficult to know which strain is which after grafting? If this plant is as large as it would need to be, (a large, few year old mother) wouldn't it be difficult to know which strain you grafted after say 10 grafts? are you supposed to label the branches? or just remember where you put them?
Somewhat a little confused here.
Do you know anyone that has used this method? Is it beneficial in anyway to the plant , or the harvest. does it produce more marijuana? Grow quicker? Or is this more or less just a whole legality issue,

and I bought a new bong today , badass, 300$, bought a 350$ vape from a friend that works great last week, and bought a bubbler two days ago, so many pieces, I love it!!!!

Also, curious to know, shit....Forgot what I wanted to say ... Back to the new bong, (maybe Ill post a pic of it next to my plants, to make it related to growing ;) lolol...

Hope everyone is doing good, Sorry I haven't been checking in much lately.
Thank you everybody for continuing this thread so we can all learn from what others have experienced/seen/heard.
I've learned quite a bit , (if you couldn't tell from the improvment on the plants ;) )
Thank you all for being so helpful and willing to give tips/tricks/advice. I know alot of growers who think they grow the best
shit in the world and wouldn't tell you how they grow if their life depended on it.
And I dont wanna read a 400 page book about how weed grows, (though this is pretty much a book thanks to you guys :D )
Might end up getting a grow guide just to flip through and have a picture guide to diagnosing problems.

One last thing, anyone noticing any weird temps outdoors?
It's November first , and it was 85F degrees today,
And from what I've read, its supposed to be 84 up for the rest of the week.
Causing some heat problems during the day, at night, I've been making sure to run my closet at 72-74 degrees.
During the day it gets up to 78-80 degrees. (About 4-5 hours of those temps)

Last edited:
One last thing, anyone noticing any weird temps outdoors?
It's November first , and it was 85F degrees today,
And from what I've read, its supposed to be 84 up for the rest of the week.
Causing some heat problems during the day, at night, I've been making sure to run my closet at 72-74 degrees.
During the day it gets up to 78-80 degrees. (About 4-5 hours of those temps)

Yep. Sucks.

PRELUDE can you get a pic of an affected leaf just the leaf so i can see the browning pattern/location? i gotta wait till its a little darker too, too bright in here to see shit on my screen.

Well, I can't get a pic at this very moment, but I can describe them to you because it seems to be eating its way up my entire plants, like a disease.

It started with the leaves all bending downward, drooping, as in the pics, then the leafs start to turn a lighter green, once they turn a lighter green , the tips start to yellow, and there are dots, lots of dots dark green dots in the yellow part of the leaf, and the edges of the leaf are brown, from tip to back, they are all brown. Once this whole process happens the leaf dies, turns yellow, and the tips, and edges start to brown from the tip of the leaf making its way down. leaving the leaf completely yellow, and brown, but not crunchy.

Do I have a lock out?
Do I need to flush, or upsize?
Ill get a pic of the leaf in here but it wont be very high quality, dont have my girl with me to use her camera.

Yeah, I still have no effin clue whats wrong with them, I repotted to a 3 gal, if anyone knows, please, help, asap, still going down hill.
all the fan leaves are dying, and i can see signs on the little leafs on the branches PLEASE help , this is my best plant, it will be obviously the biggest yielding plant, if someone could help me save it, I would appreciate it

It seems to have some symptom of everything,

It always amazes me how any yellowing of the leaves is invariably diagnosed as magnesium deficiencies by some people.

It would help if you showed the rest of the plant, Prelude, and used the macro function on your camera or just pulled away a little.

As the diagram shows, growth at the bottom is older and so some yellowing is to be expected anyway and isn't necessarily and indication of a deficiency.

I would just raise your fertilizer dosage a tad, or just give it your regular feed if it's due.

edit: sorry I missed the above post as I was typing. Can you not take another, better photo?

I'm thinking this is either a deficiency or lock out. Have you been feeding especially heavy or light?

You cant see the pics that I posted as NSFW ? They if you look at the lower leaf(s) you can see they are looking sick, that was 12 hours before I took the last photo I posted, so, its getting worse, and quickly, I personally don't have a camera but my g/f , What kinda pic are you looking for? , I thought the NFSW and the last pic woulda cleared it up

And feeding very lightly.
So Deficincy? Give em a good dose of Grow Big?

some people?
i hope this condescending air of superiority i sense is not directed towards me......
It's just a general observation made of newbies that has not only been made by me. I don't agree that I was condescending at all.

Prelude, sorry about that. For some reason my mind ignored those NSFW pics.

The second and the fifth look pretty okay but the rest look as if they could do with a feed of grow nutrient. A certain degree of yellowing at the bottom is normal as I mentioned earlier.

Use the grow as a foliar feed for a quicker onset.

Last edited:
mineral deficiency or o/d can lead to a misdiagnosis, by being difficult to recognize, and the major symptoms can eventual cause N, P, or K problems eventually.

the quickest way ive fucked around and caused lock-out, was from feeding with high or low PH.
personally, it happened to me in DWC, i allowed the nutrient temp to get to high, altering the PH, killing my blueberries slowly, but surely.

if you are still using a high peat medium, too much nutrient will be retained, and the peats naturally high PH will become a problem...
all varieties have their quirks, BlueBerry for instance, is sensitive to nutes, especially phosphorus... AK 47 though can take about what ever you throw at it.

SD, takes light feed, and is temperamental and unstable, with the SD ive grown this has been the case.

have you rinsed the neem off?
that will fry the spots hit the most by mites, and is natural.

the easiest thing to do, is to water with some 7-, and gather the water that runs out to test is PH,,, if its light clear blue, theres a chance and a diagnosis, if its deep blue or an 8.5+, then that diagnosis is not so good.

stem color is important too, if you had a P O/D, the stems would be purple, N deficiency could allow an abundance of P, then causing the stem purple.
the same backwards diagnostics need to be done to search for mineral/elemental problems.

Edit: yeah the yellowing of the lower leafs is the way it grows, leave them on as they rush all sorts of goodies off to the rest of the plant,,, BUT, after 50% of the leaf is spent,,,, it will begin drawing N, and those goodies back, so once they look fairly cashed, or break away stem and all with out much effort, gently remove them.

Last edited:
^ I agree completely, except for the bit about the run off pH being tested since in my experience it doesn't really tell you much at the end of the day. I've seen people ruin their grows by trying to second guess pH/nutrient content/EC in the medium by measuring run off pH/EC.

Also, didn't you mean that a phosphorus deficiency causes purple stems? It's usually an indication of a deficiency rather than an overdose and this is often caused by the cold, particularly at night/lights off.

edit: it's also worth noting that some phenotypes naturally have purple stems and it might be a P deficiency in some cases.

please correct me if im wrong.

but, every time i switch to flower, and elevate P, or over time in flowering after so long of exposure stems ordinarily do change to stripes or solid purple.

now some plants sugar leafs, calaxys, or entire bud will change in normal flowering doses, it is their genetics.

although, almost any pot plant will most likely turn purple in the cold.
and is tricky tricky...

It could be that you have a particular phenotype that reacts differently to the norm. However, the consensus is that in general blue stems are caused by a P deficiency. The cold causes a deficiency in phosphorus and brings out a blue colour in stems/leaves more often than not (often even more frequently than deficiencies in the nutrients given to the plant). In fact, some people use this effect to their advantage to encourage the natural hues of blue which improves 'bag appeal' since people find blueish cannabis attractive and are more likely to buy it.

Prelude..by those pics, those leaves affected are at the bottom, I would just pull them off. How does the top of the plant look? Hows the new growth looking? I do agree that they are suffering from nute deficiencies, not OD. When was the last feed and what were the PPM's? We need to know how much nutes they have been getting and also what nutes are you giving them? Have you been adusting the PH after you add the nutes? PH imbalances def cause lock-out. Most likely at some point, the plant didn't have enough of something and the mobile nutrients moved from those lower leaves to the parts of the plant that were lacking.