• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Basic Cultivation

interuption of the dark time is more critical than interuption of light time i hope that answers your?

if possible, is it better to give the plant artificial light and sunlight? the bulb is about a foot above the plants and the pot is on a windowsill. will it matter if i take it away from the window?

Howdy fellow green thumbs,
I've got a few plants growing naturally (aka sunlight, outdoors) and I think there at a nice size now. The biggest one would be about 2.5ft high. Not totally sure of the sex yet but that will come I guess.

I was wondering if there is a way to force the plants to bud once your happy with the size? Should I throw them straight into a dark cycle? The plants are about 2.5 months old.

Thanks in advance guys!

pullacone said:
I was wondering if there is a way to force the plants to bud once your happy with the size? Should I throw them straight into a dark cycle? The plants are about 2.5 months old.

Yes there is, it requires a lot of effort though. You basically need a lightproof tent with ventilation. Either induce a 12/12 cycle for over a period of 8-11 weeks (completely depending on the strain, I dunno what strain you got), or induce a dark cycle for only 3-4 weeks, then stop and let nature take care of it. You can only do the latter when the days are already getting shorter, they can cope with say, going from the 12/12 to 14-15 hours of daylight, but not any more than that (and I've only seen this done, not done it myself). It means you have to take the tent of and on every day on the same time for over at least 8-11 weeks, 3-4 if you go for the latter. So it's a hell-of-a-lot-of-work

aaarrgggg that blows (sorry blowmonkey :p)

so i guess there isn't really any easy way to do it. So am I better off just letting nature run its course because thats at least 3 months away? We are only just starting to come into our summer now.

3 months till flowering still is a lot of time, those will be huge if they're in full ground. If they're pot plants, they will grow a lot less taller, but just don't re-pot if you like the size they're at now, they will grow taller, but not as much as plants in the full ground, just make sure you keep feeding them enough if they're in pots, because the nutes obviously will run out after a while.

I had a look at my babies today and something seems to be eating their leaves! Not good! I've shifted them around the garden a bit but it still seems to attacking them. Could it be some kind of fungus because I really don't want to bust out the chemicals.

Just from reading, it could be some sort of bug-like, you may need to use something in order to remove the pests.

I have read that early may is the latest one would want to plant bud outside. I am living in southern florida, where everything is very temperate, humidity is relatively high, and the temp lingers from 80 to 90 every day. Could I plant seeds "this late in the game" so to speak.

Ok, so my firend is going to try her hand at cultivation in the coming months. This will be her first try and the massive amount of information out there is proving a little overwhelming. I told her I would post her question up here to see if some people with more growing experience have some quick answers to some basic questions. The space available to grow in is about 2 feet deep, 5 feet long, and 5 feet tall. Smell is not much of an issue but there will be steps taken to minimize it. This will not be a commercial grow, but it should still yield at least a few ounces to provide for the period in-between harvests. She was thinking about doing a SOG setup but was wondering how she should start out to get the "mother" plant or whatever. She enjoys the sativa high as well, so if you could reccomend a strain that would work well under these conditions, it would be much appreciated. To put it simply, what strain, setup, etc. will work best in this situation?

Anyone have any tips on speeding up the budding process other than throwing a blanket over the plants?
They're an indica variety growing outdoors.

anyone know what the dual-sided white plastic with the black threaded backing (so it doesnt get moldy) is? ive been trying to find the name of this product for awhile, and it's used all over the grow room. anyone know what it is?

^ It's called mylar, highly reflective stuff, supposedly the best material to use.

Kiddynamite, not really. There's a couple of methods to force flower plants, but yeah, to keep it short the only ways of doing that is by placing them in a dark room or covering them with bags/tents and such.

Elemenohpee, growing a mother plant is pretty tricky business, at least, keeping it alive and healthy for such a long time anyways. Not something you just can do right away. I'd advise her to simply start with some seeds of a stable and uniform strain and do a scrog with those. Gives you time to weed out the males, that way the females can keep on growing to fill in the left over space from the males. With a sog they'll just keep on growing in height which eventually leads to them outgrowing the box. Anyways, a sativa is nice and all, but that's a small space to grow sativa's in, I'd go with an indica dominant strain. She should just look around on some seed companies and search for an appropriate strain herself, I don't know what her preference would be.

I thought mylar was just heavy reflective material? I'm not talking about mylar, the aluminum looking see-through plastic. I'm talking about this plastic which one side is white, other side is threaded black and no mold/dust/other shit can get through it when it's taped down... or maybe im just wrong?

I think you just mean mylar, at least, that's the only black/white paper I've seen used in grow ops. I find it highly unlikely that people use somekind of black/white paper to keep mould spores or dust out of the room, that's inevitable. You simply cannot create a completely sterile environment, sooner or later you're going to have to come into the grow room to water or do whatever to your plants, which will introduce these kind of nasties into your room as well.

thanks blowmonkey, you're right. there's actually two types of mylar, the pure reflective kind and the dual black/white sided. why they call it the same but looks totally different i wont ever know :(

Blowmonkey said:
Elemenohpee, growing a mother plant is pretty tricky business, at least, keeping it alive and healthy for such a long time anyways. Not something you just can do right away. I'd advise her to simply start with some seeds of a stable and uniform strain and do a scrog with those. Gives you time to weed out the males, that way the females can keep on growing to fill in the left over space from the males. With a sog they'll just keep on growing in height which eventually leads to them outgrowing the box. Anyways, a sativa is nice and all, but that's a small space to grow sativa's in, I'd go with an indica dominant strain. She should just look around on some seed companies and search for an appropriate strain herself, I don't know what her preference would be.

Thanks for the info dude, I'll pass it along :)

I have a question

I live in Canada, and own some farm land, recently I have taken note that someone has decided to grow some pot plants on my property, since he has done so without my permission on my property I feel I am entitled to a portion of the end goods.

My cultivation knowlage is limited but I am curious what are some signs that the plant is ready for harvest, and would harvesting the plant earlier would seriously decrease the yeild/potency of the bud in question?

I have been up close to the plants a few times but would rather keep my distance for now, it would seem the plant is well on its way to being ready, but I am just not sure what to look for really in detail maybe?

I would like to take care of this soon rather then later because there is a good chance whoever is growing it on my property knows when it is going to be ready. The daytime highs around here are about 20 degres and lows this week have been around 10 if that helps.

Thanks

it's still a bit early for total maturity ... look at the buds to see if they are well formed ... hopefully they will be plump and the flower pistils should be at least80% withered ... you should look for trichromes ... tiny little translucent glands that sparkle in the sunlight

Laying pipe, stay far away from that plant, their may be more which means you MAY be walking into something way over your head.

If there is only one plant and you can find out whoever it is, just ask them, don't demand pot thats how shit gets bad.