• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Basic Cultivation

DOHP: Annuals can be turned into perennials, but letting them flower often causes them to loose vigor and die (example: coleus). However, since the plant is not setting seeds before you pick it, it is possible that the plant, in time, will continue to grow. The best way to perennialize weed would be to continue pinching the plant and preventing it from growing flowers. Then you can have a female plant growing for years. Unless the plant is growing outside in a temperate region of course.

Once switched into flowering the plant will largely halt it's vertical growth for a few weeks, but once the budding really starts to take off the plant will get taller and fatten up big time.

You may want to go ahead and read up now on, and maybe utilize some low stress training, it can be really really helpful for keeping your plants at a manageable size, like if your doing a closet grow or if you're growing outdoors and you want to keep a plant low but wide.

As soon as I switch to 12/12 there's a biiiig stetch in vertical growth. New foliage growth does occur but the leaves stay small.

Hey all,
I've had a pretty thorough read of this thread and still find the need to post a few questions, but sorry if I missed the answers if they have been posted previously.
A friend gave us a little pot plant as a housewarming gift, and I'd like to try and grow it as best as possible: (I've never done any gardening stuff before)
potplant.jpg

Is it time to change to a bigger pot yet? OR should I even change it into a bigger pot at all?
A week ago the lowest leaf on the stem (i.e. the oldest leaf) turned yellow:
leaf1.jpg

Since then I've added some fertiliser pellets which claim to have a good level of nitrogen in them. (All the other leaves are fine.)
I've been watering it once every day, enough to saturate all the topsoil. Is this waterting it too much? (I'm paranoid about drowning it) And I've been putting out in the direct sunlight every day, then bringing it undercover at night.
Is there anything of the abovewritten that I shouldn't be doing/should be doing differently? Is there anything else that could be wrong with that yellow leaf? Or is it nothing to worry about?
So many questions!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated =D

That's a fairly big pot. How tall is it, in inches? If you intend on keeping it in a pot for it's life duration, that's probably big enough. Also depends on whether you want to keep it under a certain height, but that could be determined by other factors as much as pot size. But usually, the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant, so it's up to you.

The yellowing of the oldest leaf is indeed an indication of nitrogen deficiency, as you guessed. That leaf will probably die and drop off soon, but as long as the yellowing doesn't continue in other leaves, there's no problem.

When watering, the top of the medium will dry out a lot faster than the bottom, so you may be over doing it, but it's not showing any signs of overwatering in that pic, so you're probably ok to continue the same watering schedule. It can actually be good for the plant if you let the medium dry out, top to bottom, so long as the temperature isn't too hot. This encourages the roots to expand in search of water. But there should be holes in the bottom of the pot, and I usually judge when to water when it's dry around those holes.

All in all, you seem to be doing fine. It looks pretty healthy, if a little stretched. Just give it as much sun as possible. Even leave it outside 24/7 if it doesn't get too cold at night (as in frost cold), so it can catch every bit of sunlight possible.

n3ophy7e
Tie that plant down gently. Do you know what that means? tie a rope around the top of your plant and tie it to the side of the pot, it'll stop it from stretching anymore.

yellow leaf could either be nitrogen burn or defficency, I can't tell at this stage.

My god i feel so smart in this thread....Sometime i'll do a bigass write up to make "Set-it and forget-it" grow rooms that are self automated

EJ said:
That's a fairly big pot. How tall is it, in inches? If you intend on keeping it in a pot for it's life duration, that's probably big enough. Also depends on whether you want to keep it under a certain height, but that could be determined by other factors as much as pot size. But usually, the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant, so it's up to you.

The yellowing of the oldest leaf is indeed an indication of nitrogen deficiency, as you guessed. That leaf will probably die and drop off soon, but as long as the yellowing doesn't continue in other leaves, there's no problem.

When watering, the top of the medium will dry out a lot faster than the bottom, so you may be over doing it, but it's not showing any signs of overwatering in that pic, so you're probably ok to continue the same watering schedule. It can actually be good for the plant if you let the medium dry out, top to bottom, so long as the temperature isn't too hot. This encourages the roots to expand in search of water. But there should be holes in the bottom of the pot, and I usually judge when to water when it's dry around those holes.

All in all, you seem to be doing fine. It looks pretty healthy, if a little stretched. Just give it as much sun as possible. Even leave it outside 24/7 if it doesn't get too cold at night (as in frost cold), so it can catch every bit of sunlight possible.
Yep, the yellow-ed leaf dropped off today, and the others are fine. So I'm not too concerned now.
That's a great tip about letting it dry out a little, and watering when the holes at the bottom of the pot are dry, thanks!!
Very helpful indeed %)

Ungoliath said:
n3ophy7e
Tie that plant down gently. Do you know what that means? tie a rope around the top of your plant and tie it to the side of the pot, it'll stop it from stretching anymore.
Great tip Ungoliath, I certainly wouldn't have thought of doing that. Thanks! :)

haha, man im gonna be growing some plants here pretty soon.. and i was just wonderin. What types of things to the plants need to grow? Light.. stuff like that? and how much?..

thnks

Anyone considering growing I can only stress that you can never do too much research. Just type ''grow guide'' into google and you will find a lot of information. Here's a website with many guides to many aspects of cultivation: http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/

Yeah i've just read most of the guides on there. And i now have the basic facts and stuff to start. Thanks man. :)

Okay im goona sound like a tottall noob but does bong water actually help your plant to grow better/more potent?
Im asking on someone elses behalf but im was a little curious too.

Sorry to hear your unfortunate event

Frostie said:
I almost died tonight…Please be careful guys…

I’m still shaking as I write this from the after effects of electrocution. I can only type with one hand as my other is wrapped in paper towels to slow the bleeding.

I was in checking my little guys and decided to lower the reflector as I thought the little guys could now handle a little more light. I steeped up on my large wooden planter and braced myself with one hand against the ceiling. I reached out with my other hand to grasp the chain that was supporting the reflector from a hook in the ceiling…

It is the worst feeling. You can actually feel the 60Hz, your body actually vibrates at the AC frequency. Everything tenses up, you can’t breath, and Lord only knows what happened to your heart. You can’t let go, you can’t move. Hell I don’t even remember seeing anything. The hot lead to the light must have shorted to the reflector and had energized it to 500V AC. The electricity was flowing from the reflector threw my hand down my body and out my bare foot that was now in the large planter (that had moist soil). I remember falling backwards and landing on the floor. There was blood everywhere, all over my sweater, jogging pants, feet. I looked down at my hand that was covered in blood and the pool forming below it. The flesh wound didn’t bother me nearly as bad as how close to death I was. You could actually follow the trail of blood to the bathroom where I washed my hands and wrapped them in paper towels to slow the bleeding. I don’t know what I sliced my hand open on? The reflector I guess? It looks to be only a 3 cuts 1-3” in length that are fairly shallow. Thank God there is no entry and exit burns.

After cleaning up the bloody mess. I laid down on the couch for a while after taking a few puffs to calm my nerves. What a way to go? Damn it guys this is not how I want to go!… I got a flash back from when I was younger.

I had a small patch of plant up in the mountains. They were doing fairly well and it was a beautiful summer afternoon. And I had taken a break from my watering to enjoy the great outdoors…when all of a sudden I heard something coming through the bushes towards me. What ever it was it was large, bigger then any damn deer. It would move fairly fast and then stop. And then this large bear came into the clearing where I was tending my crop. The bear didn’t seem that interested in me and was just sniffing my sweaty shirt that I taken off and the tree I had taken a piss on earlier. I stood up as high as I could and started talked, loader and loader to try to scare the bear away. Only a few feet away from me the bear didn’t seem that interested in me or my load preying that she would go away. It finally did leave but not for some time. I stayed in that clearing until after dark before I decided to venture back to the car. But what would have happened if I had gotten in a scuffle with the bear? I don’t think it would have killed me, but it would probable mauled me fairly bad, and I was far enough in the bush that I’m not sure I would have been able to make it back to the car. And of coarse no-one new where I was. Earlier when I was staring at the bear that was staring at me I remember thinking to myself. ‘This is not how I want to go…Bleeding to death after a scuffle in the middle of my crop in the middle of nowhere, with no one even knowing where I was’.

Just be careful guys. Don’t get complacent as I had tonight. Please have respect for electricity, there is a lot of things we all do here while working on our little endevers that can be very dangerous if not respected. Water & Electricity is a bad combo.

Please don’t get complacent as I had tonight…

Peace
Think of it this way. You didn't die! You could have been away and your place could have burned down! That's happened to a freind of mine and to add insult to injury his little op. was found by law enforcement who responded to the fire call! No house and two felonies and two misdemeanors later I bet he wishes he only would of got an electric jolt! Are your fingernails black! You better practice isulating and better cord placement. I've got a peice of plywood with my two 1000 watt ballasts, timers, and power cutoffs mounted to them in a room next door to where the magic happens. The ballast boxes give off way to much heat for my liking in the G.R. If you have an eight bedroom home this much juice is no worry. But if I wasn't sure as shit that my electrical situation isn't sound then I'd have no business fucking around! Good luck!

Not that I would, but if I ever would grow a marijuana plant in the confined space of a closet, which I wouldn't because its illegal and I always follow the law, I have some questions:

a) Would two fluorescent bulbs, both around 24 watts and about 1800 lumens each, be sufficient enough for one plant to bloom and prosper well providing aluminum foil is being used around a hard aluminum base which reflects and good amount of light?

b) Is there any way to influence the sex of the marijuana plant to becoming a female? This I highly doubt could be done as I think its largely ingrated in genetic material, but its worth a shot.

c) Would watering more at a distant circumfrence away from the plant (not to leave dry the actual epicenter of the plant, of course) result in bigger roots as marijuana does have a tendency to root through soil to get to water supply, and would a larger root system result in an overall bigger plant?

a) No. it will grow and bloom but not prosper. your yield would be very small.

b) No. the sex of the plant is predetermined in the seed

c) I don't recommend forcing a plant to work for its nutrition. It does little to strengthen it. Give adequate water and nutrition in a way that is easiest for the plant to make use of.

I have read that seeds planted in soil deeper than 4 inches have an 80/20 percent females dominating with 80%

Certain strains such as lowryder are known for high male ratios......... correct me if im wrong?

ChemicalSmile said:
I have read that seeds planted in soil deeper than 4 inches have an 80/20 percent females dominating with 80%

Certain strains such as lowryder are known for high male ratios......... correct me if im wrong?

I would be willing to bet that seeds planted deeper than 4 inches would have about a 100% chance of their sprout dying before it reached the surface.=D

I could probabaly be convinced that certain strains have a higher male ratio. It certainly seems likely with all the genetic manipulation that goes on.

hey guys i have a simple question. me and my brother are leaving for the weekend so we're not going to be able to have anyone to water the plants for the weekend. would this cause a problem? should we put a little more water than usual before we leave for the weekend?

it depends on how big the plants are and how big the container is that they are in. if there is plenty of room in the container, just soak them real good and you should be okay for a couple of days.