• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Medical detox vs Methadone vs Suboxone vs Cold Turkey at home vs I dunno

dopemaster

Bluelight Crew
Ok so I gotta detox. I dont really have much of a choice and well I want to stop taking opiates. I dont need to get into the specifics. But if I do this now I get to A) not die B) could always go back on pain meds later C) im out of drugs and money and D) Im gonna go into wds and have worse consequences anyways if I dont have a plan. That probly the biggest thing is that no matter how I play this Im going to have to go through wds whether I coopeate or not.

Well I can go into a mutli-day progam and god only knows what they will do to me but its short and (not)sweet. They said I can stay on my benzo scrip which is thoughtful. Its still gonna suck and well Ive got a nasty habit. Some places use done, some use subs, some just give you a bit of clonadine and tie you to the bed and I hear some are really "good places".

I have given consideration to methadone. I would ideally get on methadone maintainance with a for pain rx. I dont think thats gonna happen. Im not trying to sound like a dick but Id rather detox than stand in line waiting for a cup of methadone every morning. Its a personal decision. Around here my insurance wont pay for it anyways so thats a bit more than 300 bones a month. I also get group counseling and all the demeaning stuff that comes along with it. Ive been calling pain clinics and they all suddenly no longer do methadone for pain. Im gonna ask my family physician tomarrow about methadone and what he thinks is best for me.

Suboxone is an option. Im sure someone will right me a scrip for this awful substance. Anything this nasty is freely availible to the drug addict population. Hell I even have like 8 strips laying around the house.

Which brings me to just doing this shit at home. Ive got some suboxone. I also have lope, kratom, benzos (alot), tylenol, dayquil, blood pressure medicine, muscle relaxers, and dxm. Ive detoxed at home and well I fear the unknown. So I could detox at home. Id probly have to ask my doctor for clonadine. Im sure I could locate a bit of MJ and really anything else that would be helpful. I do have a bit of cash I could devote towards getting clean, just as long as the end result is me detoxing off opiates.

Really it doesnt matter how I detox as long as the end result is me not taking opiates. I have no money and I am definetly not getting pain refills anytime soon. I kinda want to and think I should put this off a few days to get myself psyched up for going into detox and at the same time Im thinking I should just do this at home as Im thinking its the lesser of evils. My insurance will pay for me to go spend a week or less in detox and well thats awfully nice of them. Any thoughts?

I've detoxed at home thinking I would just lock myself up in my apt...take comfort meds like clonidine which did take the edge off..and Lyrica which helped too. I was detoxing off Methadone I was taking 80 mg a day for a year. Well it lasted a month...I layed on the couch I paced back and forth all night every night..I talked to myself to the point I thought I was losing my mind...(and my dogs did too)..at the end of the month I just could not take the cravings anymore and I hit my folks up for the money to go back to the clinic...It sucks in the USA that addicts have to deal with private methadone clinics that are all about the $$$..they could give a fuck about how you are really doing.. but I digress... That was just my experience. I have no insurance so if I were you I would jump at the chance to go into a medical detox for a week...but then again I have never been to one so I don't know how it is...good vs bad.

And what is the deal in with pain clinics all of a sudden...I know what you are talking about because I have been dealing with them since my car wreck 5 years ago. Where I live Georgia and Florida...things are nuts...if you are lucky enough to get methadone or any C11 drug now the damn pharmacist are starting to refuse to fill them...they are "blacklisting" a lot of pain clinics too..so no matter how many pharmacist you hit up they are all banding together to not give any out..and the same with pain clinics..alot are not taking new patients and if they are they are really cutting back on rxing c11 drugs.

Anyways good luck on what you decide to do man!

There were times when I attempted to detox at home, took vacation time off work and had a great plan. I did this a few times but was not successful. Geez, maybe I was just weak because I went back to the oxys inevitably. If your insurance covers you for rehab, that might be a better way to go. I've been there a couple times before I got it right but that was just 5 day stays.

They never tied me to the bed. The first one, they gave methadone and the second hospital suboxone was given. The part I hated was inability to sleep even though they gave meds, the staff comes in your room to check on you every half hour. I have trouble sleeping in strange places to begin with. They made us wake up at 6 am for vitals and try to keep you busy all day with groups and meetings. You could not stay in your room and sleep.

Is your goal to stay off opiates permanently? You would be wasting your time if in the back of your mind you want to use again. If that's in your head, you will use again. You have to really sincerely want to get off them completely for any detox to be successful. Whichever route you choose, I hope it works well for you! <3

Edit:
Ganeal, I totally get what you mean with the pain clinics. I'm in South Florida which was ground zero for these places. But the crackdowns have put lots of them out of business. The doctors that are left are under heavy scrutiny. There are bitch pharmacies that will look at a prescription and turn it away saying "We don't take prescriptions from this doctor" It happened to my friend. Then the insurance companies got involved too and will only cover certain amounts of oxycodone, sort of dictating what a doctor can prescribe. It's gotten really hard for people to get their meds and that prompted me to completely quit. It just wasn't worth the hassle anymore.

Last edited:
@ T. Calderone= I had a buddy just last week that had his Dr. go "poof" doors were locked when he showed up for his monthly appt. to get methadone,xanax, and Norco...I told him that was going to happen sooner or later. now he was in severe withdrawel so he is now at my clinic. You should see the influx of new patients at my clinic every time a pain Dr has gotten raided by the DEA. Around here it has happened 2 times in just the last 3 months. If you are a legit pain patient you are screwed and it sucks. no matter how many times I have tried to detox I always end up going back because life is not worth living if you are in constant pain.

Last edited:
I went cold turkey. If you have family that is supportive or a close friend or friends, have them help you out. I got lots of water, plastic bags and some broth soup. It was bad but nothing like kicking pills to me. If you can trust yourself to take the benzo just during the detox, then yes. I don't know of anyone who went to a medical detox but if it get's bad, I would go to the hospital.

I've had friends take Methadone and then they have to kick that.

I was sent to detox because of an intervention. Without my family or doctor knowing it, they took me off my Clonezapam and it was sheer hell. They gave be Subutex which helped only for 6 days, then was off of it. Lost 20 pounds and got back on benzo a month later.

I'm just saying, it's better not to rely on anything if you can but also be gentle to yourself.

So I got some clonodine and a benzo refill. Ive got an aresenal of benzos and otc comfort meds. I just need one more thing.

One final hit to soothe the pain for the long road that lies ahead.

Dopemaster I know exactly how you feel! I always said that too,but you are probably a lot tougher than I am when it comes to this... I always make it through to the part where the physical withdrawsels are over and its the PAWS I cant seem to get past an d I constantly go back to my methadone..Clonidine really helps so and I hear benzo's do too. The only advice I give is if you even think for a second of going back to use just save yourself the pain and just cut down on the opiate use. But if you are dead set agaisnst ever using again I wish you good luck and know it CAN be done!

So after a drug binge and going 24 hours I dropped half a sub strip. I know its not really enough to come close to stopping the pain but it stopped my legs from aching. I also had some promethazine. That helped a bit with that knot it the tummy but it still couldnt keep me from shitting myself. Im not complaining at all.
Im pissed as fuck at my clinic for fucking my dose up to the point where I had to detox. They get real mad if you call or go in early. It was like pulling teeth but it made me realize I didnt need to be on so many pills for pain. Im not saying I wont get back on CPM but there are a few medications that I will avoid. I can handle some oxy tabs and most people cant. Me personally morphine was what rocked my balls. Looking back my behaviour was downright suicidal. The morphine wds fucked me up. In an attempt to get well I shot about 600 mgs of oxy which was like a third of my monthly scrip. I was also buying and what not. Ive posted before the types of things I do and have done for drugs and well its downright wrong, degrading, or straight up sick shit.
All and all Im glad I have some detox meds and I did lose those pesky 6 kilos off my waist. I know how to do a sub taper and really the less you take is the best IME. I had a friend go to a sub clinic and get 3 strips a day. She was dead set on getting clean and I told her to only take one strip a day and to taper and just keep her scrip so shed have the cash or if she relapsed but she took 3 strips a day for months. Well they dropped her down to two for a month and then one for a month and a half for a week. Well of course she relapsed. Shes on the juice right now. Im not dissing done but its just another monkey on your back and it make you fat.
I suppose Im blessed that I have a benzo scrip thats locked in at a higher than legal dose for life. I went through hell as a kid and came out with a severe panic disorder and would pass out like Tony Soprano. Im a seziure risk and they couldnt take that shit from me in prison. Im under some protected group in government for crazy peeps.
But yeah I dont know about other people but the worse thing about subs is going 24 hours without dosing. I really really wanted to top myself and I asked my mum if she would understand. She said "that I always get like that on day one" so I stuck thru it.
I mean I thought it was rough when I was only having 4 injections or so a day. But I mean I shot up every time I woke up and that happened quite often as I nodded a lot. I couldnt drive without a fat shot of morhphine. Well I could if I knew there was dope in some form where I was going, as I could just fix in my car. So yeah 24 hours with no fix=Pain.
Im glad to be off opiates and I hate I had to resort to subs even though I use so little. I feel a bit demeaned but anyways, things look different. Like even the way light reflects off things. I truly feel blessed that I am alive and was able to pull thru. I always cut em strips up into tiny pieces and one will last me days after I get down. I taper down every other day but I start on the lowest dose I can stand. Ive done this more times than I can count but I really burned my bridge to my current pain clinic and really I did it on purpose. I guess I wanted to get 3000k plus in meds a month still and well you cant have that shit sitting around if your an addict with legit pain. If you arent an addict you will be after CPM but Ive been using since I was a kid. But I digress, its good right now.

OMG i just wanna Die..! I feel like shit,
Trying to go "Cold-Turkey" from Perks, after taking 75mg a day for years, im feeling like im not going to make it,... this is only day (2)... i need a remedy that will help, someone please Help...

Kratom. Do it. PM me and i'd be HAPPY to share some solid kratom sources. Pay the extra 20 bucks to have it over nighted. I wasn't a believer, but as a Heroin addict it even kicks my WD symptoms right out. PM me asap and I'd be happy to help you out.

I would love to try Kratom. As for Detoxes, I've never found there to be too much of a difference in terms of success rate, though I will say that all inpatient detox programs are far worse when it comes to benzo withdrawal. That should be done outpatient and organized with your doctor. I guess the only con about Detox is that it's likely that you wont find drugs there, though many still do if you go out of your way to find them.

IME, Methadone is superior for a rapid detox (5-7 days max), and unlike Buprenorphine, you don't have to wait until your incredibly sick to take. Also, if you have a super huge habit, the dosage of methadone can be increased to suit your needs, whereas with Suboxone, if 8-16mg doesn't do the trick, neither will 24-32mg.

The thing that I hate about Suboxone/Buprenorphine is the amount of time you need to wait. Actually, if there was a definitive 'set' time after which one could take suboxone without experiencing precipitated withdrawal, than that would be fine, even if it was still 24 hours. What I guess I can't stand the most, is that there doesn't seem to be any real tell tale sign indicating that you've been given the 'go ahead'. For instance, within the last month my girlfriend attempted using suboxone to withdrawal. We've both been using about 1-1.5 bundles of NYC dope each for the last few months, but have been using dope in general for over half a year, I think my girlfriends been on it for an entire year in fact. The point is, when your habit to short acting opiates becomes so huge, you usually cannot go more than six hours without having a fix. Waiting 24 hours is unthinkable.

The first time she ended up using it, she went into immediate precipitated withdrawal (that's after waiting 25 hours, and she was very sick). Luckily it ended within an hour, but she never felt good either, it was like she just felt pretty shitty, but not completely plagued with WD. After 36 hours, we ended up picking up heroin.

The second time was much more victorious. We both went with my family on vacation to Cape Cod in MA, and being the pigs we were, had used the 3 bundles we had bought the night before in a couple of hours. So we left with only methadone for myself, and Suboxone for her. This time, the Suboxone worked a bit better. She was able to sleep at least a few hours, eat, and did not arouse any suspicion from my family. However she still complained a lot that she was incredibly anxious, depressed, and lethargic, but also admitted that it was a godsend as things are so much worse cold turkey.

What I really wonder, is if some peoples habits are simply too big to be sustained by Buprenorphine (habits to opiates asides from methadone), as it has only a certain amount of agonistic activity, most think that at its ceiling dose, its equatable to about 30mg of Methadone. I mean, if someone is shooting six or seven bags and not even nodding off dope that has other people stoned and on the verge of death, than is it that hard to theorize that possibly Buprenorphine is not strong enough for such a habit?

I tried cold turkey many times. Never could do it. Body just couldn't function. Ended up on methadone. While its controversial to some, methadone did save my life. I now have a great job, stable life, normal daily routine, etc. I've accepted the fact that I will probably be on the done the rest of my life. But my job insurance pays everything for my clinic and I have really been able to change my life around for the better.

I cannot travel out of the country and cannot be far away from my clinic, although I can guest dose. Thats the price I have to pay regarding the liquid handcuffs issue. I try to think im similar to a diabetic regarding the need for me meds to be around to function. But thats the price I pay for being stupid getting hooked on H earlier on. Without the methadone I'd probably would be dead now or woulda gone insane/suicide.

I was taking 9 percs (10 mg) plus a couple norco a day in my prime. I did it CT.

Clonidine/ Valium were very handy and seroquel was the only thing that could get me to sleep. It was 5 days of pure shit. Hang in there. It feels like you may not make it, sometimes you may think it will not get better.

It will get better. you have a good week of pure shit and a month till you feel like doing anything again. You have to hang in there and you will be fine. It will take some time till the brain kicks the natural chemicals back on.

You can do it.

OMG i just wanna Die..! I feel like shit,
Trying to go "Cold-Turkey" from Perks, after taking 75mg a day for years, im feeling like im not going to make it,... this is only day (2)... i need a remedy that will help, someone please Help...

I'm sorry, oxy has a fast onset WD too which really sucks. Some OTC remedys are DXM with immodium. They are both inactive opioids I believe that will help with the WD a little bit. Try lukewarm baths to help with the hot/cold flashes. Take emetrol for the nausea. If you have benzos use them during the hard times. After 24 hours take the subs.

I always found that if someone is planning a detox. They should start an antidepressant 2 weeks before the detox. This will help with the suicidal extreme depression that accompanies the WD. The increased seratonin levels from an SSRI will help with the withdrawals and anxiety a lot

Really if you have ample benzos you can just blackout through your WD. Just have someone to watch you the whole time and dont take anything but benzos.

I would have loved to have that opportunity. I've been through medical detox and cold turkey at home as well as sub tapers at home and they all work really well but cold turkey at home is by far the cheapest and most rewarding. You just have to be ready to stop being a pussy and quit. It's like having the flu but your weak dopey mind makes it a big fuckin' deal all the time.

Or you can use kratom. Order some online, it's really really good for quitting pretty much anything and it has antidepressant effects as well. Kratom seems to clear my mind of certain vices when i take it. It's probably the most comfortable option. A little benzo and a little kratom and a little weed and you'll be a lot good.

Sub taper is another way. Start the taper low and keep it to 7 days max. Then you have to withdraw from that, though, so it's shit. Suboxone is a maintenance drug. The industry's way of making money off the illegal opioid market. The more people discover kratom is many times more effective and more comfortable and much less addicting than suboxone, the sooner it will be banned everywhere.

Well Ive gotten on a self imposed sub taper. I do not agree with the high doses clinics dole out as I only wish to make wds bearable.

Each kick gets worse. After a while you wish for the flu symptoms and muscles aches when you calves have acheived 24/7 charlie horse status and your legs and knees feel broken.

I personally usually cannot eat for up to a week on some of my kicks. My most epic CT kick took off 15 lbs. It was terrible. Eventually I was able to stop pooping by drinking protein shakes. My stomach has shrunken and I cannot eat a whole sandwhich when well or held on maintainance drugs.

Also during my habit I had gone weeks with eating basically nothing but a bit of yogurt or Ice cream and could barely keep that down, so that might be why I have so much trouble eating.

This last time was the worst though and will be the last time I get myself in this deep as I dont think I would be able to kick off. I would probly have to be on done for the rest of my life if I aquire a habit like this again.

I cant get any relief off kratom but I know it helps some people alot. Lope helps with the shits. Personally I just CT until I absolutly need some suboxone and take as little as possible. Basically enough for me to be able to sleep for at least 6 hours for one night to get some strength back. I then deal with about a month of insomnia before acheiving anything close to more than 2-4 hours of sleep a day. I find coming off opiates the pain is so sever I cannot sleep no matter how tired I am.

Maybe the benzo thing would work for some, but I already take benzos for anxiety/panic disorder and have a high tolerance and I dont even want to get into how much I could take and not feel it as this is a HR friendly forum.

Inpatient treatment can be a nightmare in its own, but the are pretty on point about keeping you from killing yourself which I think is the biggest risk when someone has a very hardcore habit.

I think its best to begin an exercise regimen while still detoxing as it helps with the cramps, which truly are the worst part and the most common complaint among people at done clinics and those are the people who have made a career out of opiate use, antagonists maintaince, and switching back and forth and even finding a way to do both in the same day.

Im personally glad to be on the low end of a sub taper this fast off such a nasty habit. I sure payed the price. It was a whole new intensity of hell where biblical hell sounded nicer than what I was experiencing. I shall not squander the progress I have made as the pain was too great.

The only reason I didnt put myself out of my own misery is that I remember that life can beautiful if you do what you have to do. It can seem impossible and may be to acheive happiness for some. I know Im going to most likely be in excruciating pain or in active addiction for the rest of my life. Today Im choosing the pain.

I would like to add that with suboxone less is more in the long run. It can be just as addictive as drugs and since it doesnt get you high you can actually jack up your tolerance. Most clinics are in the business of making lifelong customers.

my doctor detoxed me off methadone within a 4 hour time period by giving me suboxone, purposely to take under his supervision in a bed in his private office. it lasted 4 hours, the actual hell of it, and i was sick as a dog for 1 week afterward, but it got the job done..

my doctor detoxed me off methadone within a 4 hour time period by giving me suboxone, purposely to take under his supervision in a bed in his private office. it lasted 4 hours, the actual hell of it, and i was sick as a dog for 1 week afterward, but it got the job done..

You mean he purposely induced PW's?

yes, its something we both agreed on. i was down to 20mg of methadone, and me and him both knew i wasnt going to go into his office in withdrawl, i been seeing him on and off for 5 years, but yes i agreed to go thru PW for 3-4 hrs in his office to get off methadone, however, it lasts much longer then 4 hrrs, literally 3 days acute PWD, and 2-3weeks up to this day as i type i feel withdrawl and im taking 3 subs a day, i just still feel like shit, but im past the PWD point now..