• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

    Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators: Esperighanto

MDMA Recovery (Stories & Support - 7) [ALL LTC posts go here]

Hello everyone,
I have logged into this account once more to read some of your stories and to give an update on my situation.
I rolled HARD in June of 2023, something I’ve done before in the past where a pressed pill, a Molly or two with some alcohol in one night wasn’t anything new. I had a boat load of fun that night and everything seemed normal u til it wasn’t. I remeber I got 3 hours of sleep that night and starting the next day I had this weird panic attack feeling- best way I can describe it is when you know you’re about to get bad news or anticipating something bad and you feel your heart drop- I felt that nonstop for years- additionally, I had jerks, tinnitus, suicidal thoughts, and HORRIBLE sleep issues that lasted well over two years. Just the worst of the absolute fucking worst type of symptoms that I had never experienced before. I thought for a long time that this was just gonna be my life- I had caused irreversible neurological damage and it was my own doing. But then as years went on, I noticed some improvement, some days weren’t filled with anxiety- other days I got 5 hours of sleep instead of 4- fast track to today- January 2026 all of my symptoms have subsided- all of them. If I get genuinely worried about something I’ll get anxious like I did before in the past but no longer does it linger how it used to in the past and I now sleep my full 8 hours. What a freaking journey it’s been. I got sober doing all this and that was the last night I touched MDMA and will never touch it again for as long as I love- I stopped smoking weed 7 months ago which seemed to improve my symptoms, alcohol has been the toughest thing for me to get rid of as I’ve been drinking since 18 (I’m 30 now) but last year was the first year of my life where I drank perhaps less than 10 times the entire year. I say all this in the hopes of some web surfer who may potentially need some advice or a story similar to there’s to lean on for hope- I’m here to tell you there is hope! I swear I’m better and have 10 mo the before I can apply to. Rising School- something I would’ve never imagined as I wasn’t getting any sleep so school was impossible. It’s been such a long and arduous journey ey but here we are- thriving and loving life. If anyone reads this and needs to talk, send me a message as my email notifies me when someone has responded or interacted with my account in some way. Also, I never took an SSRIS, I had a doctor prescribe me some- first pill I took made my symptoms so much worse - I didn’t take anything- just time, clean living and having hope got me here almost 3 years later. Best of luck yall
Hi, thank you so much for coming back to share this update. Your story resonates with me deeply because I’m going through something very similar.

I had a bad reaction after a single use of MDMA in December 2024, so I’m about 18 months in now. Like you, I deal with a lot of sleep problems I wake up constantly through the night and only get 4 or 5 hours of poor quality sleep. I also have a lot of anxiety, a constant feeling of malaise or like a never-ending hangover, burning sensations in my feet, tachycardia, and HPPD (visual stuff).

Things have improved since everything started I’m not in the hell I was at the beginning but I still feel very far from recovery, and the poor sleep especially is really wearing me down.

Reading that you came out the other side, with all your symptoms gone and sleeping your full 8 hours, gives me real hope. Can I ask what specifically helped you the most? Was it mainly time and clean living, or were there particular things you did for the sleep and anxiety that made a difference? Anything that helped you get through the worst of it would mean a lot to hear.

Thank you again for posting it matters more than you know.
 
Hi, thank you so much for coming back to share this update. Your story resonates with me deeply because I’m going through something very similar.

I had a bad reaction after a single use of MDMA in December 2024, so I’m about 18 months in now. Like you, I deal with a lot of sleep problems I wake up constantly through the night and only get 4 or 5 hours of poor quality sleep. I also have a lot of anxiety, a constant feeling of malaise or like a never-ending hangover, burning sensations in my feet, tachycardia, and HPPD (visual stuff).

Things have improved since everything started I’m not in the hell I was at the beginning but I still feel very far from recovery, and the poor sleep especially is really wearing me down.

Reading that you came out the other side, with all your symptoms gone and sleeping your full 8 hours, gives me real hope. Can I ask what specifically helped you the most? Was it mainly time and clean living, or were there particular things you did for the sleep and anxiety that made a difference? Anything that helped you get through the worst of it would mean a lot to hear.

Thank you again for posting it matters more than you know.
Hey, I also had awful sleep during my LTC. I could not stay awake for more than 1 sleep cycle (2hrs). During the first week I could not go to sleep because I'd get hypnagogic jerks constantly.

I would 100% recommend sleep medication for a period of time (for me it was benzos). Not being able to sleep is something that makes your recovery worse. Once you start sleeping better, getting better, physically active etc, you can taper off those sleep meds.

Good luck!
 
Hey, I also had awful sleep during my LTC. I could not stay awake for more than 1 sleep cycle (2hrs). During the first week I could not go to sleep because I'd get hypnagogic jerks constantly.

I would 100% recommend sleep medication for a period of time (for me it was benzos). Not being able to sleep is something that makes your recovery worse. Once you start sleeping better, getting better, physically active etc, you can taper off those sleep meds.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for replying. I also had those hypnagogic jerks, especially in the worst phase.

I already take clonazepam on my worst nights (low dose drops), and while it helps me get through them, I haven’t been able to improve much beyond that.

Can I ask if you ever took antidepressants during your recovery?
 
Thanks so much for replying. I also had those hypnagogic jerks, especially in the worst phase.

I already take clonazepam on my worst nights (low dose drops), and while it helps me get through them, I haven’t been able to improve much beyond that.

Can I ask if you ever took antidepressants during your recovery?
Oh right, I remember now. I would take xanax and it would help me fall asleep, but not remain asleep... that sucked. I treated sleep like my 1st priority and eventually fixed it. No problems with sleep now.

Yeah I went on mirtazapine (antidepressant, anti-anxiety, sleep and anti-psychotic) - it puts you to sleep for like 10hrs and makes you quite sleepy throughout the day. It completely killed my anxiety and made me sleep, which was a godsend. It is quite strong medication, it makes you quite anhedonic and in some cases, more depressed.

If I were you, I'd give Mirtazapine a try for a month, to calm your nervous system down and have a restful month of sleep. After that, I'd taper off.

All other classic SSRIs that I tried were awful for my anxiety. Mirtazapine is a NaSSA type, not an SSRI.
 
Oh right, I remember now. I would take xanax and it would help me fall asleep, but not remain asleep... that sucked. I treated sleep like my 1st priority and eventually fixed it. No problems with sleep now.

Yeah I went on mirtazapine (antidepressant, anti-anxiety, sleep and anti-psychotic) - it puts you to sleep for like 10hrs and makes you quite sleepy throughout the day. It completely killed my anxiety and made me sleep, which was a godsend. It is quite strong medication, it makes you quite anhedonic and in some cases, more depressed.

If I were you, I'd give Mirtazapine a try for a month, to calm your nervous system down and have a restful month of sleep. After that, I'd taper off.

All other classic SSRIs that I tried were awful for my anxiety. Mirtazapine is a NaSSA type, not an SSRI.

been on the smallest dose of duloxetine for over a month and it's worked better than anything i've tried in 9 years, including the maximum dose of venlafaxine and amitriptyline which i had fully tapered off of for several years. so it's definitely worth trying different meds even if they're in the same class (SSRI, SNRI, etc.), as they can have wildly different results.
 
This was my 3 year post. At that point things were still really bad. Years 1-2 I had to move back in with my parent, mostly bedridden from the agitation and "tilt" as I used to describe it, sort of extreme dizziness and involuntary eye movements etc. It was a weird time of hopelessness, lots of entertainment I semi- paid attention to and suicidality. I did try to go for walks or jogging when I could. But I had to go during the night or wear sunglasses and earplugs. Sometimes I was dry heaving from the dizziness.

Year 3 I was miserable but able to do some things, leave the house and such, but it still sucked ass.

Now, honestly reading back that I can see just how far I've come at year 4. It's been pretty much exactly 4 years now, give or take a week or two. I wasn't able to socialize normally because of the severity of my state before. I just stayed at home and got into some online support groups. Nowadays when I'm out people don't usually know anything is wrong unless I tell them. Sometimes my involuntary jerks (neck/left arm/left leg) might show up but other times I can suppress and hide it. I have hope it will go away completely in 2-3 more years. I've been making some plans to move out again soon, start a part time job and then either get back to my engineering studies or more likely after this ordeal I've been thinking of a complete switch into nursing. These kind of life plans seemed so far off I didn't even entertain such thoughts when going to the grocery store was an issue. Things have improved massively. Even from last December I've been feeling better and more stable. I'm still not well, but I can see these things in the horizon. Most days I'm enjoying life. I've met some wonderful new people online and there have been silver linings in this experience.

To the actual symptoms. If you read that last post, the things that were gone then - are still gone now. So I don't have that insane anxiety/agitation any longer for example. From the list of things that have improved, my light sensitivity is much much less. Being at the PC does not bother me any longer. Dizziness is very much improved, it's not really there unless I'm feeling very stressed or haven't slept, am ill or something along those lines. Pressure behind eyes is quite rare likewise, the number I used at 3 years was 50% improved.. I'd say now it's 90%.

Fatigue is soo much less. I don't have the same energy I did before this but I'm active most of the time, unlike before. Again, I can see this clearing up in time. Tinnitus is there, but it's a mild background sound like a white noise. It's another thing that gets worse with pushing myself too much but other than that it's minimal. Not a problem at all.

The buzzing sensation in my spine has dampened down. It's hardly noticeable most days, and this I'm so grateful for. That sensation used to drive me mad, it was like being tasered in the neck every other second.

I still have involuntary eye movements, a mild kind of nystagmus. It's annoying, but not super serious. It doesn't really hinder my functioning at all. Just feels a bit off especially when trying to hold eye contact and such. It has improved from year 3 even. I believe it will also clear up in a few more years.

The one and only symptom that has not improved whatsoever and I think will be my battle scar is HPPD. Now, I want to stress that I don't see it as a problem whatsoever, but I'm mentioning it since you asked. There can be a grieving time for these things but seriously some people deal with much much more serious health issues. This is a minor thing. I don't even think about it except sometimes at night in bed.
My vision in daylight is a bit like this, though perhaps not as bad as in this picture: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OpBpSBGJTQ0/hqdefault.jpg - There is a dark sheet over things, it's not that noticeable with both eyes open but if I close one eye it's pretty damn obvious. And there is a subtle grainy texture, like tv static.
In dim light, such as at night in bed things get quite grainy and blurry like in the middle part of this image: http://neuronresearch.net/vision/pix/snowyvision_composite.gif

Again, not a problem. It doesn't affect my happiness, wellbeing or functionality at all - it's just my reminder of this chapter of my life for the years to come. I wasn't planning on becoming a night time pilot or something.

It still annoys me a bit when people come here with some regime or guru advice, and call LTC a one catch-all condition like it's a some sort of cult (reminds me of the nofappers) , I do believe it comes from a good place mostly. But especially when people are recommending psychotropic medications lightly it comes across as a bit reckless to me. If you believe your symptoms are psychological, that's fine. If not, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to fix a problem caused by drugs with more drugs. Patience, and a healthy lifestyle. Hopefully you live in a country that will allow that, I know not everyone has the luxury.

For the record, I don't think my problems were caused by MDMA. This would not happen with good a quality tested substance. It's the risk of taking things from strangers at a party, I don't know what mix of rat poison and nuclear waste I ingested but it wasn't pure MDMA.
Would love to get in touch with you. Can't visit your profile.
 
Top