• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Maximum legal prescribed dose of Vyvanse

anxiolyticpeace

Greenlighter
Hi everyone! This is my first post here so please let me know if I mess anything up :). So I'm concerned with the dosage of Vyvanse and Adderall that my mom's been prescribed for the last couple years. She weighs 140 lbs and is prescribed 130mg of Vyvanse in the morning and 30mg of Adderall in the afternoon. Previously however, she's been prescribed up to 210mg of Vyvanse daily by the same doctor. I have a lot of experience with stimulants (prescription and RC's) and this raised a red flag for me. I'm relatively knowledgeable of Vyvanse and I'm worried about the long term effects. I feel like there haven't been enough long term studies of high amphetamine consumption to definitely conclude that there will be long term damage if she continues on this dose; however, I still feel like this is too much. Do you guys think there is a possibility of neurological damage? This much dopamine is bound to have neurotoxic effects right? Also, is there a legal maximum dose a psychiatrist is allowed to prescribe you or is it totally up to the doctors discretion?

I would consider the combined doses to be wildly excessive, yes. Has she considered seeing another doctor?

Not knowing where you live, I have no idea what the rules are. In the UK, NICE (the National Institute of Health & Care Excellence), generally recommends no higher than 70mg/day vyvanse, and you'd be very unlikely to get adderall with it.

Your mother?s doses do seem excessive. Have you talked to her about this? Maybe see if she?ll go in for periodic heart exams and general wellness tests.

If you are concerned that neurotoxicity will cause her brain damage or mental deterioration you can attempt to mitigate it by adding antioxidants to her diet. I take lions mane occasionally because it (allegedly) causes neural growth and protects against degradation.

If you think she is abusing the stimulants then i?d be concerned. I?d still be worried if she wasn?t abusing them and is just using them to enhance mental acuity for school work or problem solving, but if she seems to be lucid, sharp, and perceptive then i personally wouldn?t bother her too much.

I know for a fact it reacts differently w different people. I take Ritalin 20 TID, which someone might think is crazy high. Problem is, I sleep all the time. I once grabbed the wrong bottle, took a Ritalin and not a Clonazepam and went right to sleep. My doctor doesn't know what's wrong w me. He tried Adderal as well, 20 TID, and it was like baby aspirin. I felt nothing. nothing at all. After 30 days, he got me back on Ritalin... The Adderal I had left I gave to someone who likes that sort of stuff. She was like climbing the walls and talking like a crazy person. I can't understand how different doses and meds of the same family can be so different for different people. One pharmacist told me "it's to calm you so you can get your brain thinking straight" and that too much will almost make you too relaxed, my PDoc said that was untrue. He doesn't know what to give me. He will try something new next month. IN the meantime.. I'm leaving for a trip, will be gone a month. He gave me a handwritten RX for my Ritalin. Can I go to another state and get that filled right away or will the national database show I just got it filled on the 6th? One place said only several states joined that NASPER and the state I'm going to isn't a member and doesn't report. Does anyone know the best way to get it filled? The doctor dated it today

Please avoid discussing legal or sourcing issues, even if it’s a prescription med you’re legally prescribed. Thank you!

Why is it any of your business how much and what drugs your mother (an adult) takes?

I get you care about your mother but atless she specifically asks you i dont see how its your business.

70 mg of Vyvanse = ~30 mg of dexedrine = ~30-40 mg of Adderall.

Being scripted >100 mg of adderall would be a pretty hefty dose for a 140 lbs woman, but some doctors are more generous than others.

However, vyvanse produces less of a "rush" (since you cannot defeat the time-release mechanism unless you incubate it with a bunch of enzymes) than most stims so the abuse potential is significantly lower, especially if her tolerance has caught up to her dose.

I mean... if she looks like she's slowly going Ellen-Burstyn-in-Requiem-for-a-Dream then you might gently try and convince her to gradually lower her dose by pointing out how worried you are about her, but I'm not sure if you want to force the issue.