• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Make extended release tablets

utmostbest

Greenlighter
Hi!

How can you make extended release pills at home? Someone suggested to use cellulose powder, mix IR Ritalin or caffine powder with that. Than put it in a capsule and it should work as extended release pills, because after the capsule gets digested the cellulose + medicine powder mix forms a ball that gets slowly digested.But as far as i can recall the human Body cant digest cellulose, so isnt Just the whole thing after the capsule has been digested Just go through the body? Or would it Just instantly be absorbed after the capsule has been digested?

Someone mentioned to use beeswax. That you mix beeswax with the medicine powder but that I am not sure if that would be slowly, steadily dissolve. I am also unsure how long would the beeswax method be to digest, and how long would it take for the cellulose method to be digested? Can you give me any tips how is this done

Many Thanks in advance, I have been searching far and wide for an answer

Last edited:
I mostly hear of people trying to do the opposite- turning their ER into instant release. Is your goal to potentiate? You could try supplements like L-tyrosine or magnesium or like you mentioned caffeine (might make you jittery) I think it would be easier to ask your doctor for the extended version instead of trying to make a new pill.

I think sometimes people don't go for the XR because of cost differences.

The cellulose idea should work ok though. You're right that cellulose doesn't digest, but it will be slowly mashed up as it passes through your GI tract releasing the ritalin as it goes, plus a little bump to start with before the cellulose fully absorbs fluid. It may actually increase bioavailability a little since much will bypass the stomach.

Hey,

Thanks. I will do the cellulose way. How long do you think will it take to digest? 8-10 hours?
You Say all of the medicine inside would be used up by my Body and the rest, the cellulose would be excremented?

Thanks for your replies!!

Hi peeps,
I checked and i can buy carboxymethyl cellulose. Is that good for my purpose? How long the pills can last with that?

Thanks in advance :)

Should work. Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (hypromellose) would be the preferred choice though if you can find it.

Do bear in mind that this is NOT a replacement for a typical XR-type medication. You'll have no idea about it's pharmacokinetics (it's release profile).

Any actual medicine has been through a testing process to make sure it works and to check it's timed-release properties. With your DIY version, it may function more as a delayed-release capsule, or may even end up acting mostly like an IR, though I suspect it will probably work reasonably well.

In other words, until you've tried your homemade version a few times to see how it goes, be careful with how you use it.

I am most thankful for your reply! Same for your suggestion, I have Been trying to find out this answer for quite some time.

Quick question: Hydroxypropyl cellulose and Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is the Same with different names, or two different substances?