Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD Purity and Effects

Zalo

Bluelighter
Hey BlueLight,

I received a new batch of LSD and for some reason this LSD feels "heavier". I don't know how much of this is just in my head, however. I tested my previous batch and my current batch with Ehrlich's, so I know it is LSD.

I'm wondering if the purity of the LSD that's used affects the high. Let's assume I have 100mcg 95% purity LSD on a blotter, and 112mcg of 85% purity LSD on another blotter. Will these have the same effects or will one feel more "cleaner" than the other? I hope I don't sound ignorant.

I also have what was claimed and looks to be rather clean MDMA crystals, the crystals are white and translucent (I've tested it), so assuming it is of higher purity my LSD question may also apply to this.

Thank you.

Now that LSZ and AL-LAD have hit the market, I suspect that real LSD will become exceedingly rare. -__- It's easy for anyone with experience to distinguish NBOMe blotters from acid, but LSD analogues? Probably a lot more difficult.

LSZ and/or AL-LAD might be wonderful drugs, maybe better than LSD, but it's unfortunate that people who don't wish to be the guinea pigs for untested drugs will probably wind up playing that role anyhow.

It could be your mood and or Set and setting... and now that LSZ and Al-LAD is out too...

I’ve often wondered if the starting material, ergot, affects the outcome. There are at least two species of claviceps one can use. Could one be different in effects that the other, even minutely? I know other fungi that certainly display subtle diffs, mutations excluded. I don’t want to perpetuate the dirty acid myth, but variations can occur. Anyone know the diff between the two main claviceps and how, or not, that could contribute to a slightly altered synth. Even gold has variety: green, red, white, yellow. It’s all still gold, but with a touch if something else. 100% purity is the myth. How would you synth something like lsd at 100% ever?
I do remember the late 80s, early 90s having some really clean, or weak, stuff going around. When I was moving paper, it was made clear to me there were two “types” and one was much easier for beginners. I tried the weak stuff, and eventually ate a 10 strip, got really high, but had nearly no visuals. This was confirmed by other reports back to me, usually by those wanting a stronger, more visual trip. Could have been MiPLA? But again, someone with knowledge could hopefully comment on the variation in synth when comparing the two known (what about the unknown) fungi and the resulting subjective effects, if any.

There is no certain evidence that there wouldnt be a difference in lsd.
I know for a fact that the price of lsd crystals vary alot depending on purity.
People do pay alot more for needlepoint for a reason.
I know many who wont even touch anything less pure.

I’ve often wondered if the starting material, ergot, affects the outcome. There are at least two species of claviceps one can use. Could one be different in effects that the other, even minutely? I know other fungi that certainly display subtle diffs, mutations excluded. I don’t want to perpetuate the dirty acid myth, but variations can occur. Anyone know the diff between the two main claviceps and how, or not, that could contribute to a slightly altered synth. Even gold has variety: green, red, white, yellow. It’s all still gold, but with a touch if something else. 100% purity is the myth. How would you synth something like lsd at 100% ever?
I do remember the late 80s, early 90s having some really clean, or weak, stuff going around. When I was moving paper, it was made clear to me there were two “types” and one was much easier for beginners. I tried the weak stuff, and eventually ate a 10 strip, got really high, but had nearly no visuals. This was confirmed by other reports back to me, usually by those wanting a stronger, more visual trip. Could have been MiPLA? But again, someone with knowledge could hopefully comment on the variation in synth when comparing the two known (what about the unknown) fungi and the resulting subjective effects, if any.

LSD can be totally synthesized without having to extract ergot alkaloids. Whether there's a difference in subjective effects between ergot derived LSD and other syntheses I wouldnt know.

That’ the point. We don’t know. And just because alternate synths are common, bio extract starting methods are still used by at least some clandestine labs. Could their starting materials have any impact?

LSD is not the same today as LSD was in the 60's, 70's ect. You don't get pie eyed on the LSD nowadays....

Attachments

• flowsheet.gif
    flowsheet.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
LSD-25 is a chemical compound so it can't be different. The issue could be the dose or it could be another chemical other than LSD being pushed instead.

I've been doing LSD since 1964 and LSD is LSD. The same as it ever was.

However in the mid to late 60's LSD tended to dosed in much more varied quantities, depending on who you got it from. Albert Hoffman had determined that 100ugs was a "standard" dose, however people producing it laid it down in varying strengths. There was a period of time when it was largely available in tablets averaging 350 to 500ugs per tab and was sold clearly as 4-way hits, meaning that it was expected that you would divide the tab into smaller doses before consuming. Many people, myself included, used it at this dosage, although it is not entirely advisable. It is, however, essentially the same molecule that is distributed today.

I believe that Nick Sand’s Orange Sunshine was a constant 270ug per tab.

More than enough, for many... “too much” for some...

Regardless of that tid-bit, the molecule is the molecule.

It’s just like a key, that fits specific receptors.

One can romanticize the doses that Owsley and Scully produced, with the gestalt, or VIBE that imbued the times...

But, it was still just a molecule.

Made from the same precursors.

Fungus on Rye... So, then the purity issue... chrystalized three times, from
my limited knowledge, is what you want.

BUT: Acid is still Acid, is still ACID...

( My all-time favorite state of being, that’s for sure. )

The thing you bring to it, or what you let flow through you, has a lot to do with it...

In the 60’s, an optimism that it could all turn around, and that a Utopia was a door knock away, was in the air.

It made the experience considerably different.

Out of the Darkness, a simple sound... one of clarity, and a united, Divine purpose.

It’s still there, that sound.

And that molecule, is still what it is.

Namaste,
Bryan

That’ the point. We don’t know. And just because alternate synths are common, bio extract starting methods are still used by at least some clandestine labs. Could their starting materials have any impact?

If you think that anyone is doing a total synthesis of lysergic acid to make LSD for the underground market, you are *seriously* underestimating how complex these kinds of synths are.
Such total synths typically involve over a dozen reaction steps, with overall yields of around 10%. During each of those steps, there is a chance for something to go *very* wrong, possibly losing you the whole batch.

And again, that's just to get to the lysergic acid - you'd still have to convert this fragile molecule to LSD-25, further decreasing the yield, and adding even more steps that could go catastrophically wrong.

These kinds of total synths for natural products are mostly about bragging rights, and demonstrating the viability of novel techniques for complex syntheses, but not serious attempts at mass-production.

LSD-25 is a chemical compound so it can't be different. The issue could be the dose or it could be another chemical other than LSD being pushed instead.

Yes lsd is lsd, however we dont fully understand how various impurities can effect the experience.
Most natural entheogens like cacti and mushrooms have different effects depending on strain etc.
These have various compounds except the big one that flawors the trip.
Its not that far fetched that lsd with different purities have a similar action.

Like i said, there is huge difference in price comparing different crystals.
And most people who are in the know pay the extra to get needlepoint quality.

AFAIK, today when buying LSD you can end up with anything from 99.8% pure professionally laid tabs, dosed as advertised, to unpure and/or underdosed tabs with underwhelming effects, to getting some LSD RC analog, to getting any classic or RC psychedelic amphetamine that can fit on blotter... Even Fentanyl and some analogs are distributed on blotters...
You see where I'm going with this, it is possible to get extremely good LSD nowadays.

There is dirty acid its usually done by amateurs in small batches who lack chemical knowledge and thus forgone the chromography purfication steps to remove iso-lsd and side reaction products from the final product. Its still lsd but will have a foggy come up and more of a body load but once the peak hits its usually ok. Theres more to lsd than following the instructions its a sacrament and magical thing. Alot of crystal is made in bulk batches 5 million + hits at a time.

I used to trip all the time in the 70s. For nostalgia's sake, half moon blotter was the most common. I had a good connection and would get full sheets of Window Pane. You would cut up the squares; it was in a hard gelatin form (purple). Would would let it melt in your mouth...great trips. On Sat nights a bunch of us would go see the laser show at the Planetarium in NYC then get cases of beer and hang out by a small lake in Central Park. We were all nuts and walked through the park in the middle of the night scarring away the muggers and weirdos.

What I loved back then was called Mescalin. It wasnt true Mescalin and could never quite find out what it was. You would buy it in a tiny pill...sometimes you could get what was called "double barrel" which was supposed to be a double dose. You sorta tripped on it but not quite like lsd...was like walking on a cloud. Anyone know what that was?