View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD death

markosheehan

Bluelighter
how safe is LSD really. here are 2 reports of people dying.

https://www.scribd.com/document/356563534/Coroner-s-report-for-Baylee-Gatlin

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/woking-teenager-died-after-taking-12917591

there are also others. the report of baylee gatlin is the most convincing. they tested for NBomes and MDMA and it came back negative. could LSD be not as safe as people think. people often say that look at the millions of people who have taken it but because it is illegal adverse events may not have been reported. there are many very pro-LSD users on this so its a little biased so try to consider all possibilities you are going to reply to this

I only know of one confirmed death from LSD (ie, it was positively confirmed the substance was actually LSD), if I recall correctly it was someone who had crystal LSD and thought it was speed and IVed 300mg (that's 3000 standard doses). They also killed an elephant with it once at a far higher dose than that. Unfortunately other substances are passed off as LSD, most notably the NBOMes, which are in fact dangerous and have killed or hurt a wide variety of people.

I can see LSD contributing to a heart attack or something, if someone who was going to have a heart attack soon got really scared on it or something. But the same could be said of any drug in that case. I have seen no evidence that LSD is physically unsafe except in totally extreme circumstances (like injecting 3000 doses at once, which would kill you with probably any drug that exists).

That said, it's a powerful drug, I wouldn't call any psychedelic "safe" really. They CAN be safe compared to other drugs if used responsibly and with full knowledge of what you have and what you're doing. They can also be dangerous to those who aren't prepared.

how safe is LSD really. here are 2 reports of people dying.

https://www.scribd.com/document/356563534/Coroner-s-report-for-Baylee-Gatlin

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/woking-teenager-died-after-taking-12917591

there are also others. the report of baylee gatlin is the most convincing. they tested for NBomes and MDMA and it came back negative. could LSD be not as safe as people think. people often say that look at the millions of people who have taken it but because it is illegal adverse events may not have been reported. there are many very pro-LSD users on this so its a little biased so try to consider all possibilities you are going to reply to this
Hey OP...

what is YOUR intention on posting this thread ?

how safe is LSD really.

Extremely safe. Compared to the number of times LSD has been taken without causing such an incident, two deaths is nothing at all, even if they are directly related, which I wouldn't say is certain.

there are also others.

Such as?

could LSD be not as safe as people think.

No, not really. In terms of drug knowledge, LSD is very well understood.

people often say that look at the millions of people who have taken it but because it is illegal adverse events may not have been reported.

After over fifty years of regular use, scientific research, being directly in the public eye, and despised by authorities looking for any chance to demonize it, the odds of every single adverse event slipping under the radar are slim to none. This argument really holds no weight at all here.

there are many very pro-LSD users on this so its a little biased so try to consider all possibilities you are going to reply to this

Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone here as biased towards psychedelics as you are against them.

Even if there are 2 deaths and a few others, that's still far less than almost any other drug. Alcohol kills a tremendous number of people for example. Stimulants kill, opiates kill, most stuff can kill you, but psychedelics, especially LSD, have a very high safety profile. The number of deaths and injuries from psychedelics is incredibly low compared to how many people have used them.

Regarding that elephant that "died from LSD" - what I read is that even this wasnt correct, that the elephant actually died from an OD of a tranquilizer or something that they administered after the LSD. I'll try to track down the link later.

LSD is as safe as drugs come.

my intentions of this thread is spread the word that LSD can kill you. it is very very unlikely but it can. for people thinking it was MDMA or Nbomes it was not with the girl as they tested her blood. is anyone here very good at maths and if so could you find out how much LSD she took?

"The amount of LSD measured by a lab in two blood samples taken from Gatlin’s system measured .22 nanograms per milliliter and .47 nanograms per milliliter."

dave nichols commented on saying he does not think LSD caused it.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0379073885900672 here is another report. there are others as well though. i have provided 3 now.

it is still probably very safe though. 30 million + have taken and even after all that there are very few deaths. the coroners report failed to identify a
the bad thing is though parts of its safety profile is unknown due to its legal status.

i personally feel LSD could be mutagenic from available data and just in case you are thinking i am wrong even when I sent a email to dave nichols asking him about this he said its a possibility but there is very little data on it. that is a different topic though so i will not talk about it anymore but i am just saying that just observing people and saying LSD causes no adverse affects is not a good way to test it as there are millions of variables. for LSD a lot of the time this is all we can go off.

she had fluid in her lungs and gastrointestinal bleeding. is this something that LSD has been shown to do?

i also think psilocybin is safer.

i am not biased towards psychedelics. i have taken 1P LSD and ALD 52 however on this I like to come down on them hard as I would like to be aware of any adverse affects .

i will say it again though the scientific research on LSD is very poor mainly because its so hard to get it to do testing on it. even go to pubmed and search it most of the studies are from the 50s,60s,70s. its very very difficult to get the FDA protocol approval to do research in fact there is a famous quote "If you wanted to kill your research career in academics, you did research on psychedelics" from dave nichols.
only recently this has been changing. we know very little about LSD compared to things like alcohol and marijuana. they still dont know its exact mechanism.

even though dave nichols said he does not think LSD caused it the coroners report could not find any other cause? it was not NBOMES as they tested for it. what was it then. like he said there must be a very big piece of the puzzle missing or LSD caused it. you would think if it was the missing puzzle option the coroners report would of identified it but no they did not. the rational and most likely cause ??? a very very rare LSD adverse affect.

This is a harm reduction site. It is NOT pro LSD. it is "IF you must do LSD, at least do it safely" site. The biggest physical danger with street LSD is that it may not actually be LSD. There was 20 years of clinical use of LSD before it was discovered and leaked into the street. It's a lot safer physically than many of the commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals in common use today.

This is a propaganda piece, not unlike what they published in the 60's.

markosheehan, you are indeed biased whether you realize it or not. I'm not even going to bother this time, I've said what I wanted to say.

Hey guys, someone ate a whole bottle of Ibuprofen and died... BAN IBUPROFEN IT'S POISON IT KILLS WITH 100% CERTAINTY!

For the british teenager, you don't have to be a doctor to realise that apparently he managed to ingest so much LSD that his blood contained more LSD than blood. (A microliter of blood weighs about a microgram as it has a density about the same as water). I suspect that the coroner made some serious errors here and the alcohol played the most significant role.
Peanuts kill 100 people per year in the US. LSD has killed one in the last 50 years (assuming that you believe this really was caused by LSD).
Anything can kill you. I will not be changing my behaviour as a result of this article.

we know very little about LSD compared to things like alcohol and marijuana. they still dont know its exact mechanism.

We do know the exact mechanism, we even know the exact positioning of the atoms of the molecule vs the atoms of the serotonin receptor as it binds. We know the pharmacokinetics, binding affinity for all of the various 5HT receptor subtypes. We know more about it that some prescription drugs that have gone through FDA trials...not sure how much more exact you want to get? What exactly do you think is lacking in the knowledge of the mechanism vs other drugs?

http://www.cell.com/fulltext/S0092-8674(16)31749-4

Last edited:
Oh, Marko. Forever the hypocondriac. And as always, you just don't want to listen to what people are saying.

All we really know is that these people died while on LSD. It's not clear whether LSD killed them directly and if it did, only three people out of millions taking LSD is still pretty safe.

The lady died while dancing in the heat of a Californian summer. Plenty of people die from exerting themselves in the heat while insufficiently hydrated; the LSD might have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, but so could pretty much any other stimulating substance, including caffeine.

I vehemently disagree with the notion that a high effective-dose to lethal-dose ratio necessarily implies that a drug is "safe", though. Ketamine has a high LD50, but chronic recreational use can give you bladder damage; benzodiazepines by themselves won't kill you via lethal respiratory depression, but they can still fuck up your life; do too much LSD, and you might get HPPD or unmask a latent mental illness. Granted, relative to many other drugs the risks associated with the use of LSD are comparatively small, but they are there nonetheless.

Last edited:
the other 2 deaths are suspicious but for baylee gatlin it seems quite clear. it is the coroners job to look at a victim and look for all causes of death. they have no reason to alter the facts in their report unlike the media. nearly all of the time the coroner is able to establish the cause of death. If it was something else like heart failure due to previous conditions it would of came up in the autopsy. They looked at everything and even tested for other drugs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1149410 she had similar symptoms of this record of LSD overdose. so unless what killed her had also very similar symptoms to an LSD overdose (very unlikely) the rational and most logical cause of death you would have to say is the LSD.

I started this to confirm what I was thinking was right and No body new any more recent info on this or new updates. well it is very sad anyway some one so young has died.

The lady died while dancing in the heat of a Californian summer. Plenty of people die from exerting themselves in the heat while insufficiently hydrated; the LSD might have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, but so could pretty much any other stimulating substance, including caffeine.

Exactly, it says she over heated. I'm not necessarily saying the LSD wasn't at least partially to blame, for example as you said it is a stimulating substance and not only that, being in an altered state of mind could easily have made her unaware of how hot and or thirsty she was. But that begs the question, if she had taken the same amount of LSD in cool weather would she still have died? Without knowing the answer to that, I don't think we can really say LSD caused her death (it was merely a contributing factor). All we can really say from this is that taking LSD and exerting yourself in very hot weather could potentially result in death.

every drug has an ld50

even cannabis can trigger a heart attack

but driving a car which we all fucking do is more dangerous so get over it.

sex is more dangerous (hiv/hep b etc)