• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and Schizophrenia

My 2c on this subject:

I believe that psychedelics do not by themselves cause mental illness, but in some cases they can exacerbate the speed and intensity of pre-existing disoders.

Schizophrenia is a very complicated disease, and (correct me if I'm wrong but) I believe the mechanism behind how schizophrenia works in the brain is not yet fully understood. Could a schizophrenic take a psychedelic and be perfectly fine? Perhaps, but there's too many factors at play here to say for certain.

You mentioned your mother has schizophrenia? Schizophrenia appears to be (at least somewhat) genetic, and for some reason it has the tendency to skip a generation. You may be in the clear. If you feel healthy and stable beforehand, then by all means go for it. Just make sure to start SLOW - you can always take more, but never less.

It would also be a good idea to have some benzos or antipsychotics around just in case. Benzos will not completely stop the trip, but they will be highly effective at preventing panic attacks or manic episodes. Antipsychotics on the other hand, will stop a trip dead in its tracks.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that if someone is diagnosed with schizophrenia, it is highly inadvisable to use psychedelics or really any drugs at all that aren't prescribed medications.

EDIT 2: I have a couple random q's, but I'll just PM them to you.

Last edited:
lsd is the most likely psychedelic to cause pychosis for me and i have had manic episodes.

its the late stage dopamine paranoia when you want it to wear off that sends you loopy

Pretty sure you would have mentioned if you had a history of psychotic illness before this.

Well at one point a long time ago I had multiple personalities, and I'm also autistic, somewhat paranoid (had plenty of paranoid delusions in my childhood but got a good handle on it these days, although it still sometimes impacts my decisions) and have every major anxiety disorder besides agoraphobia and multiple suicide attempts. Although, after tripping a few times I'm no longer depressed aside from on MDMA comedowns. So I'm not schizophrenic, but yes, I've had severe disconnection from reality at some points in my life, and I was fine taking pretty much every psychedelic you can find on the streets of Philadelphia.

Take a look at how she is doing emotionally, socially etc. this is the best pointers. If she is doing fine and seem normal I don't think LSD would make her psychotic all of a sudden. It's her mother with schizophrenia, not her.

Take a look at how she is doing emotionally, socially etc. this is the best pointers. If she is doing fine and seem normal I don't think LSD would make her psychotic all of a sudden. It's her mother with schizophrenia, not her.

Agree with this but at the same time playing it safe would be to wait until she is a bit older. My advice is she shouldnt be smoking weed all the time and if she REALLY wanted to try lsd then start out small. 20 ug / 30 ug work your way up, get a feel, get comfortable with the headspace and no weed on the trip at all. Just my opinion.

sending good vibes out to you and her!