• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Lorazepam

Binky7766

Bluelighter
Hi, I am currently taking 1 MG of Lorazepam daily by prescription. It’s been 48 hours since my last dose and my drugstore will not refill it until tomorrow. I am starting to feel pretty tense and anxious and wondered if there was anyway to ease the symptoms until I can refill. Would a glass of wine help or would that make it worse? Also, is it typically difficult to withdraw from 1 mg of this drug? I’ve been on it for about a year, having been moved to it from Xanax. I was on the Xanax for about 15 years, so have been on benzos for quite some time. Any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
The alcohol might help momentarily, but you'll most likely just feel worse afterwards.
It's not a practice I'd recommend.

You don't have access to gabapentin or pregabalin? I've had slight relief from benzo wd's from opioids too.

Yeah the alcohol will be a temporary relief but as soon as your buzz wears off you'll feel worse than before. Personally I'd tough it out and be there when the pharmacy opens tomorrow.

Also, is it typically difficult to withdraw from 1 mg of this drug? I’ve been on it for about a year, having been moved to it from Xanax. I was on the Xanax for about 15 years, so have been on benzos for quite some time. Any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated!

It can be extremely difficult to stop taking it even at 1mg especially if you've been taking benzos for 15 years.

Have you ever thought about quitting?

You'll want to do a very gradual taper and lower your dose by micro amounts over a period of a few months.

And yeah, avoid the alcohol tonight. You will regret it.

The alcohol might help momentarily, but you'll most likely just feel worse afterwards.
It's not a practice I'd recommend.

You don't have access to gabapentin or pregabalin? I've had slight relief from benzo wd's from opioids too.
No, I wish I did have access to one of those, or even a nice opiate. Sigh. I had a gabapentin years ago that someone gave me & the one thing that I remember about it was that it gave me the mad munchies!

It can be extremely difficult to stop taking it even at 1mg especially if you've been taking benzos for 15 years.

Have you ever thought about quitting?

You'll want to do a very gradual taper and lower your dose by micro amounts over a period of a few months.

And yeah, avoid the alcohol tonight. You will regret it.
Yes, I very much want to quit. My Dr. moved me from Xanax to lorazepam since the lorazepam will be easier to taper from. However, it’s been a very rough year for me, so it was not a good time to quit. Not that there is ever a good time. It will happen though! I was able to kick an opiate habit & I’ll be able to kick this too, with a Dr. monitored taper.

Hi, I am currently taking 1 MG of Lorazepam daily by prescription. It’s been 48 hours since my last dose and my drugstore will not refill it until tomorrow. I am starting to feel pretty tense and anxious and wondered if there was anyway to ease the symptoms until I can refill. Would a glass of wine help or would that make it worse? Also, is it typically difficult to withdraw from 1 mg of this drug? I’ve been on it for about a year, having been moved to it from Xanax. I was on the Xanax for about 15 years, so have been on I I
I would've thought it would be better to taper from Xanax with Valium ( Long half life) and would be much more comfortable and you wouldn't be getting the chills anywhere near as bad 48hrs hours after the last dose (why there was s 2 day gap in your prescription also remains a strange sort of factor to have in a planned drug taper for someone who's been taking them 15 years). Your doctor sounds like an idiot.

I would've thought it would be better to taper from Xanax with Valium ( Long half life) and would be much more comfortable and you wouldn't be getting the chills anywhere near as bad 48hrs hours after the last dose (why there was s 2 day gap in your prescription also remains a strange sort of factor to have in a planned drug taper for someone who's been taking them 15 years). Your doctor sounds like an idiot.
Hi! The Dr. Hasn’t started the taper yet. The reason that I was short 2 days supply was my own fault. I was on vacation and wound up on very bumpy flights to & from my destination. If I had known beforehand, I would have asked the doctor to supplement my dose just for those flights, but I thought I would be fine, so I suffered in the long run. Won’t be doing that again! Anyway, I got my dose, finally, and am feeling much better. The doctor will be starting the taper soon, probably next month. I will ask about the Valium though!

Hi! The Dr. Hasn’t started the taper yet. The reason that I was short 2 days supply was my own fault. I was on vacation and wound up on very bumpy flights to & from my destination. If I had known beforehand, I would have asked the doctor to supplement my dose just for those flights, but I thought I would be fine, so I suffered in the long run. Won’t be doing that again! Anyway, I got my dose, finally, and am feeling much better. The doctor will be starting the taper soon, probably next month. I will ask about the Valium though!
Oh ok. I mean, there's no way you can do a benzo taper from one with one of the shortest half lives in the book, straight to another with another of the shortest half lives in the book. 1mg of Lorazepam is roughly 10mg of Valium which also come manufactured in much smaller dosed tablets any way down to 2mg.....which you can then half/quarter.

Hi, I am currently taking 1 MG of Lorazepam daily by prescription. It’s been 48 hours since my last dose and my drugstore will not refill it until tomorrow. I am starting to feel pretty tense and anxious and wondered if there was anyway to ease the symptoms until I can refill. Would a glass of wine help or would that make it worse? Also, is it typically difficult to withdraw from 1 mg of this drug? I’ve been on it for about a year, having been moved to it from Xanax. I was on the Xanax for about 15 years, so have been on benzos for quite some time. Any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated!
If you could get a hold of some Kava Kava or muscimol/ Aminita Muscaria mushrooms they work on some of the same receptors and could help. Alcohol will help temporarily but the hangover or after effects always cause me to have even worse rebound anxiety