• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

long-term methadone. Does anyone else experience methadone efficacy fluctuations?

TravTuck420

Bluelighter
So I've been on 115 mg of methadone daily for a little over 10 years. I know typically you don't want to be on it for this long, but I'm as hopeless of an addict as the next guy, and I don't see myself quitting the 'done for anything less than readily available fent-free smack. Anywho, it seems like every month when I pick up my carries, there seems to be a discrepancy with how effective the doses are. Some days I almost feel like I haven't taken anything.....and sometimes I feel fine. They fight you tooth and nail at the Clinic when asking for increases. Basically my question is if anyone else has experienced their Methadone not being as strong or effective as other times, or if this is just a psychosomatic response that I'm having.
I get the 40 mg orange tablets too.....they haven't switched over to liquid in my area yet. Feel free to tell me I must be full of shit and this is all in my head, I have a rather thick skin. -Thanks!!!

If it was liquid then I would say possibly, although liquid Methadone has been very consistent at my clinic in Florida.
But with pills, I would say it's highly unlikely.
I will add that there are days that my take home dose won't seem to be quite as much volume wise as what it should be. Or that the bitter taste isn't as strong as it should be. But I end up feeling just fine after an hour and tell myself that it's all in my head.

Is it maybe just that over time you have become so dependant on the methadone that you are just baseline and experiencing fluctuations in your mood? Sometimes us addicts forget that not everything that goes on in our heads revolves around the amount of drugs we've taken.

I mean no offense by the way, I'm in the same position with bupe. Some days when things arent going my way I feel like the subs arent even hitting me.

Other days when I accomplish something I feel like I get a big rush from it. But then I ask myself, was it really the bupe? or did the bupe just bring me to 0 and then real life brought me up or down from there.

Food for thought anyway. Cheers..

Yes, I've noticed this many times with liquid methadone - too many times for it to be entirely subjective.

In the UK it's dispensed in 1mg/ml doses, but is supplied to the pharmacy in a concentrated form which the pharmacist has to dilute. Pharmacists are human, they make mistakes. I've been given more than my prescribed dose several times by mistake and they have to make up the shortfall somehow...

Yep sometimes I feel completely sober but then other times like today i actually feel high

I think it’s just down to fluctuations in the way in which our bodies metabolise the drug

we get 5mg/ml biodone liquid here in Nz, it’s just methadone and bacteriostatic water

I suppose a pharmacist could siphon off and dilute it with water to steal some for themselves but I think the most obvious explanation is just that in general drugs affect you differently based on the almost limitless variables going on in your body

Yep sometimes I feel completely sober but then other times like today i actually feel high

I think it’s just down to fluctuations in the way in which our bodies metabolise the drug

we get 5mg/ml biodone liquid here in Nz, it’s just methadone and bacteriostatic water

I suppose a pharmacist could siphon off and dilute it with water to steal some for themselves but I think the most obvious explanation is just that in general drugs affect you differently based on the almost limitless variables going on in your body
Yeah I get 120 mgs and sometimes I feel normal, but good. Other times I feel like a million bucks!! Warm, euphoric, energetic when I’m up and the kids when I sit down! It’s just like that!

So I've been on 115 mg of methadone daily for a little over 10 years. I know typically you don't want to be on it for this long, but I'm as hopeless of an addict as the next guy, and I don't see myself quitting the 'done for anything less than readily available fent-free smack. Anywho, it seems like every month when I pick up my carries, there seems to be a discrepancy with how effective the doses are. Some days I almost feel like I haven't taken anything.....and sometimes I feel fine. They fight you tooth and nail at the Clinic when asking for increases. Basically my question is if anyone else has experienced their Methadone not being as strong or effective as other times, or if this is just a psychosomatic response that I'm having.
I get the 40 mg orange tablets too.....they haven't switched over to liquid in my area yet. Feel free to tell me I must be full of shit and this is all in my head, I have a rather thick skin. -Thanks!!!
I was prescribed methadone years ago and was on them for over 10 years and I would take 40 to 80mg a day and would be wired to the gill,I would stay awake for days, I could out work my friends that were on meth. Then my Dr died and the doctor I went to put me on Roxie 30mg for about 6 years and he retired my new doctor has me back on methadone and I can't even tell I take anything